Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all new to site here. Couple of questions .I have a 318 with a p series onan that my stepson just used for a senior project on a engine rebuild ran fine just few oil leaks but overall good shape.Brought it home and had to finish hooking up wiring as he ran out of time at school. At this time I cannot get any spark ?This is a non points motor I have power to the positive side of the coil and also seeing test light on negative side .Engine grounds clean and hooked up,wiring is in good shape just cant figure out why cant get any spark ? Wondering if possible coil bad or ignition module ? Second question is my spare is a 316 with a b series onan . Last week popped the 20 amp fuse under battery box and since have replaced ignition switch,pto switch,unit will run but battery lamp is on and pto will not engauge ?Had a spare regulator around and it did not solve my charging issue. wondering if possible time delay control issue ? Wanted to add that I did check safety switches for pto problem . Thanks for any and all help as the grass is really growing at this time ! Todd

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Todd,

Do you have the TM1590 manual as a reference? If you have 12 volts on the positive side of the ignition coil low voltage winding, the TDCM is not your problem. The safety switch states and the TDCM will shut down the ignition by removing this 12 volts if conditions are not met correctly. Here is the wiring excerpt:
Text Technical drawing Diagram Plan Drawing

There is a series of tests in the manual you can do to verify that the electronic ignition module is OK --

View attachment ign module tests from 318 Tm1590 page 240-20-18.pdf

One quick question -- how did you determine that you had no spark on the P-series engine? Since the two spark plugs are wired in series through the engine block (in other words the high tension side of the ignition coil is floating relative to ground and both plugs must fire at the same time...) you need to ground one plug wire to test the remaining one. Pulling both plugs out of the engine allows the starter to crank it faster as well, you should see spark under those conditions.

Let us know what you find.

On the 316, you may have a blown F2 fuse keeping the PTO from working so check that... Does the PTO lamp light or not? The TDCM is as not likely to be causing the symptoms you see with the 316 as the components and wiring external to it.

Chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well chuck thanks for your very usefull info ! As I dig forward on my p-series I have found that my boy forgot to install the rotor for the pick up on the ignition. Guess its coming back out of frame and installed. Hopefully this will get this tractor up and running. As for the 316 the pto light is not coming on when the switch is moved to the on position ?The only lamp that comes on is the battery lamp and I did check my battery voltage its definitely not charging ? Any other ideas you may have are greatly appreciated ! Again thank you for your help

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The lack of the rotor being installed is definitely a solid explanation for there being no spark on the P-series motor. When you take it back apart be sure to inspect the key at the flywheel to crankshaft interface and ensure it is in good shape -- it is the extended tail on this key that engages the rotor and keeps it "timed" to the crankshaft rotation.

As to the B-series 316, there are good tests in the TM1590 for your stator and regulator that make up the bulk of your charging system:
Text

Text Font Line Parallel Number

Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.