Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.. Have looked on this forum for all kinds of advice over the years but just got around to joining as I have a problem I have not been able to solve by browsing the images and threads here. I have a 1990 John Deere 318 with the P218G engine. When I got it, it had all sorts of problems...I have it mostly rebuilt including the engine and back together again...everything works as it should but for the life of my I cannot figure out where this one piece in the tower gets mounted. I have it circled in the image John Deere.jpg . If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
400 Posts
MB, not sure if this will help, but I had some pics from a 318 with a P218 engine, that had a fire in the engine compartment. I don't know the model year and JD may have done some changes in the wiring.

The first is a circuit breaker that mounted to the left and below the hour meter on the side panel. Note the wires connected to it.

318 7.JPG

The other one is attached up near the dash. Again, notice the wires connected. It looked new and may have been added by the owner, but I don't recall having to alter the new wiring harness. Been a long time though.

318 5.JPG

tommyhawk

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tommyhawk..It looks more like the first picture. I have been looking for a place that matches both the holes in the part but have not been able to find one and it looks like in both your pictures it is only attached by one screw...I started taking it apart a couple years ago and for whatever reason (The real reason is I have a hard time remembering why I walked into a room let alone what I did 2 years ago) I cannot remember where I took it off from. It is not really hurting anything where it is but the length of the wires dictates that it has to be mounted close to where it is hanging...That is assuming it was not altered in some way by the previous owner and they did some wonky things in other places.

·
Registered
873 Posts
MB, It would help if we new what that part was! I'm thinking circuit breaker. If that heavy looking wire coming from the bottom right of you pic attaches to the solenoid and to the part in question, it's your circuit breaker. If red wire doesn't connect to solenoid, no clue!

If circuit breaker, mount anywhere wires will reach...make a couple holes for self-tapping screws, make a mounting plate, mount on hour meter bolts. Keep rubber boots on wires away from other parts so any vibration won't wear through boots and cause a short. Bob

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bob,
They heavy gauge red wire attaches directly to the positive terminal on the battery the other red wire runs into the wiring harness so i am not sure where it goes but I agree it is more than likely some kind of circuit breaker.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wire going to battery is the key. This is a circuit breaker and protects all of your wiring in case of a short. As previously stated, mount where convenient/where wires reach. Bob

Reactions: MonkeyButt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looked at your picture again and zoomed in this time and realized that I thought it was near the starter the first time that l looked it. My apologies.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I dont know anything about your machine but I can definitely say with certainty, that's an automotive circuit breaker.
As others have said, and correctly, just mount it where ever its convenient and out of the way and you'll be fine. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Monkey Butt,

It is a circuit breaker that mounts under the battery tray likely in the area that it is now located in the picture.

Dave

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
260 Posts
Monkey Butt,

It is a circuit breaker that mounts under the battery tray likely in the area that it is now located in the picture.

Dave
I remember one down there on my 316.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts