Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!

Ive started to have intermittent starting problems with my 318. Usually its a two start engine I crank for 5 seconds or so. Then stop then crank again and it starts. The first crank goes ok. I then stop and when I turn the key the second time nothing. I then try a few more times and nothing starter doesn't turn over. I wait 5 minutes try again and the starter turns over and it starts. This has happened twice now. I have a electric fuel pump so if anything is humming I would not hear it as the pump makes enough noise to drown out any other sounds when starting.

Im leaning towards the ignition switch. Or possibly I think theres a solenoid somewhere for the starter too.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Here's the schematic for the starting system. I'd start with a meter and check for voltage at solenoid, then ignition switch, and all components back! At some point on a switch, you'll have power on one side and not the other...that's the culprit! Bob
Parallel Font Diagram Schematic Rectangle

Reactions: DRobinson and moey

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
It's likely the ignition switch going bad. Because it's a little intermittent it might be hard to test. Last time I bought one it was about 25 bucks. I'd look to make sure something's not loose on it before replacing it. Of course check your fuses to be sure they are making a good connection.

Reactions: moey and rwmeyer

·
Registered
JD4600 loader/backhoe, JD2210 loader mower, JD332 mower,
138 Posts
@moey: One thing to be aware of is that the starter bendix in a 318 can get jammed up against the flywheel. When that happens, you'll hear one click and from then on, no sound any time you try to give it a crank. On my 318 this would happen about once a year, but it would not fix itself by sitting as you describe. So I think you may have a different problem. Still this is important to be aware of.

I would take off the top of the air cleaner and then look down the large tube that goes down into the flywheel housing. You can see the starter bendix down there and you'll be able to tell if the bendix is stuck up against the flywheel gear. In my case, I would get a big long flat screwdriver and give the flywheel a little turn. That would free it up. The first time this happened to me, I pulled the whole engine and changed the starter. That was a lot of work, and it didn't even fix the issue. After it was all back together, I ran into a guy who was familiar with the issue and explained it to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm embarrassed to admit but the battery was going bad. I didnt even notice how dull the lights on the dash had become over time. I tried to jump it while it was in its not working state. And bam it started right up. Havent had any problems since I put a new battery in it. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
JD4600 loader/backhoe, JD2210 loader mower, JD332 mower,
138 Posts
Yeah, that would be embarrassing. You have two posts here. Don't make #2 your last.

The 318 is an amazing machine. The 332 is an even more amazing machine! It's a 318 on diesel that lives forever!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.