Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thanks for reading. I just acquired a 318 and am starting to get it up and running to restore. I out a brand new battery in it and when turning key it only clicks from the starter. I can start it from jumping the starter and it fires right up and runs great. While running the battery light is on. Is the clicking and the battery light the same problem or a different problem?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
When replacing the key switch, be sure to clean and inspect the mating connector sockets on the mating plugs, as they can get quite damaged from high temperatures that can be caused by a failing switch and resistance heating. In extreme cases spring contact pressure of these contacts can be compromised by heat, but usually just cleaning and inspection is what is called for.

The key switch on the 318 passes the starter solenoid voltage/current twice as seen below, and that path also includes the safety switches such as the parking brake, the PTO interlock, and the seat switch. Early tractors do not have the parking brake switch...
318 Starting circuit.JPG

What year is your 318? If you don't know, just look through this listing of serial number ranges:
serial number range for 318.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
The starter improvement kit will help, but you’ll be ignoring the root cause and it will return as the connections continue to degrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts