Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
Send me your email address in a pm and I will send you the service manual. In my experience having a gmail account helps as it can take files up to 25m and this file is big.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hi hobbyfarmer and:wgtt:

If you can't solve your issue after using the manual from T-Mo,give us a little more info as to what your tractor is doing............exactly.
It may be something as simple as a bad coil.

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi hobbyfarmer and:wgtt:

If you can't solve your issue after using the manual from T-Mo,give us a little more info as to what your tractor is doing............exactly.
It may be something as simple as a bad coil.

Greg
I got the manual from T-Mo, The problem is intermittant. I start using the tractor and after 10-15 minutes or good and warmed up it will die just like turning the key off. Fuel is not the problem,I lose spark. If I sit and wait several minutes I can hear what sounds like relay clicks. When I wait and listen for several clicks it will start right back up. The delay module is almost $200.00 so I was hoping to have some confirmation before I replace it. I have also tried the coil off another tractor.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hobbyfarmer,if you wouldn't mind used,you may want to give this guy a try. He knows his stuff when it comes to Onans.

Boomer's Used Onan Engine Parts

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is a 25 amp main circuit breaker that can trip and close after it cools down. That is probably what is making the clicking noise. There could an over current condition like a partially shorted PTO coil or wiring short that is causing the breaker to trip. What is the serial number of your 318? There are two wiring harnesses depending on the serial number break.

GotDeeres

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a 25 amp main circuit breaker that can trip and close after it cools down. That is probably what is making the clicking noise. There could an over current condition like a partially shorted PTO coil or wiring short that is causing the breaker to trip. What is the serial number of your 318? There are two wiring harnesses depending on the serial number break.

GotDeeres
serial Moo318X114721

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lost spark

I have a repowered 318 as does a co worker.
He tells a story of crank shaft end play Beeing to great.
on his old Onan. And when he got on a hill, while mowing.
The crank would shift and would loose spark.
And the engine would not re start until he returned to flat ground?

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
I have a repowered 318 as does a co worker.
He tells a story of crank shaft end play Beeing to great.
on his old Onan. And when he got on a hill, while mowing.
The crank would shift and would loose spark.
And the engine would not re start until he returned to flat ground?
:wgtt:

If that were happening, it would presumably be because the stator and flywheel magnets are getting out of field, which would seem to need quite a bit of separation, but who knows. I guess it's possible. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a bad connection to 1 of the switchs? (Ignition, PTO Headlites?)

I had the same problem with my 318.
I found out that my wiring was getting bad and not holding connections. Very intermitten and puzzling.
I found the problem by going under the hood and wiggling wires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.