Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 325 with a 48C deck. The deck belt is a brand new JD belt, but I am getting a lot of belt vibration. I notice in on the rear portion of the deck. The spindles are straight and level, but I am wondering is the tension springs have maybe slackened over time. I do not believe that I should see the belt vibrating like I do, but would great appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
How excessive is the vibration and is the belt rubbing anything due to the movement?

First thing before springing for a new spring is to check each and every pulley on the deck. First slack off the spring,* then check down in the pulley grooves for some foreign stuff built up/stuck in them. I have this exact year mower on a GX335 and I do see some vibration, nothing I would call excessive.

"Spindles are straight", are all the idler pullies straight and tight on their shafts? Any loose tensioning arms, they are sort of long so I'd check the mounts and pivots and amount of up/down movement there...

*I use a short length of small chain (skid chain side link chain is perfect), hook one end on the outside of the hook the spring and a decent screw driver through a link near the edge of the deck. I brace my feet (sitting facing the deck) against the edge of the deck and ease the spring off using the screw driver as a "T-handle". Goes on just as easy as you have full control of the tension and the spring can't get away.

Good luck...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hydro, thanks for all the information. I'll look at all of these items you listed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts