Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was running my 3320 today and the radiator fan got shredded. I think part of the shroud broke off and got caught in it. Anyway it looks like it also poked a hole in the radiator as coolant is everywhere.
My question is how hard of a job is it to replace the radiator and the cooling fan? Thanks. Todd

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe you will get lucky and it just poked a hole in a hose.

I would take the loader off and start pulling panels to get a look see.

Unless you are doing the repair shop, dealer program. then get the checkbook ready.

Seriously, I would not think it would be that hard to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks: I’ve pulled out the radiator and taken it to a shop to see first if it can be repaired. My sequence of steps in taking it out was wrong I believe. I had to unbolt and move oil cooler in order to get radiator and fan shroud far enough away from the fan so I could unbolt and remove fan. Once fan was out I could then remove radiator and fan shroud assembly.
I wonder if the fan shroud should be removed first??? Anyone that’s changed the fan/water pump/alternator belt would know the proper steps. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well well. Seems I’m talking to myself here but I’ve figured out what caused my catastrophic failure. The numerous bolts holding the engine to the frame have all either backed clear out or are missing all together. The engine shifted and caused the fan to move and tear itself apart. CHECK YOUR ENGINE MOUNT BOLTS!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
wow that is not good, hopefully no other damage.....

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
I'm listening! Holy cow, never heard of this issue on a 3-series, I'll be sure to check mine now!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The bolts that I thought were missing are actually sheared off. So of the 8 engine bolts on both sides, I’m running 5 on one side and 4 on the other. Now the problem is how to get the old bolts out so they can be replaced. I need a machine shop.
Everything is put back together with new fan, radiator, belt but I don’t want this to happen again. I’m even thinking of spot welding the engine to the frame.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, if anyone needs to know, to remove the radiator you must take the fan shroud off first. A real pain, but I could talk you through it.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
What would cause those bolts to shear?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess is they sheared because they vibrated out and then had force applied to them from the frame twisting as the tractor worked.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Might be they were never torqued down right? I know I check my bolts all the time when bored. I walk around the tractor and look real close. I painted a line on a lot of wheel & frame bolts so I can tell right off if they have moved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts