Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 3320 with FEL, 1978 AC 5030 FEL, 2000 Bobcat 763
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2005 3320 with ehydro this summer that had sat for about 3 years. It needed a fuel shutoff solenoid to run. They drained fuel and oil, changed filters etc and it runs good. Well it did. I decided I needed to familiarize myself with it so I started bush hogging my farm lane. All good so far once I understood cruise control. Started to run over a concrete block and slammed on the brakes. Got stopped, no problem and went around it. Then I started to mow again and tractor seemed to be dragging. Ok maybe brake is sticking but it keeps going slower and slower. (No codes). Drove it to barn, shut it off and took off bush hog in preparation of trip to repair shop. Decided to just try without mower. It seemed to run ok so I put the mower back on and started to drive it. Got about 300 yards and it just died and would not start. Waited about 5 minutes and it started. I mowed ok for another half hour. I am thinking I need to replace the fuel filter first to see where that takes me. Also noted that it seems to consume a lot, lot more fuel then my old AC 5020 does but the AC is a much smaller tractor. So what do the smart people think my issue is.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
292 Posts
When you had the fuel drained, did you shine a light in the tank and inspect the condition of the fuel strainer? When tractors sit like this, these screens can slime up and prevent proper fuel feed from the bottom of the tank.

The screened fitting identified in this diagram as "13" should probably be removed and cleaned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will need to ask them. ( I was not present when it was done. ) Can I just drain the tank, unhook the fuel line and clean the screen?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I assumed once I had the hose off, I could keep removing fittings (if needed) till the screened fitting came out so I could clean or replace it if need be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off topic question. can someone tell me why when i hit the new button up in the header this topic does not show up? Does Green Tractor Talk not like people from Indiana?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Probably won't show up til someone responds to your last post?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You can change that in settings somewhere. Thats irritating when they disappear.

Once you "fix": it it will stay but the font will change once you read a thread.

When someone responds it will go back to bigger brighter font like all others you have not read yet.

I think the Filter Button is where you fix this issue

·
Registered
292 Posts
Off topic question. can someone tell me why when i hit the new button up in the header this topic does not show up? Does Green Tractor Talk not like people from Indiana?
Click on the New button, then click on the Filters button. You probably have "Unread discussions" checked. Uncheck that one. After you change this, click on "Save as Default" and then press the Filter button.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on tractor, my service manual does not show any tank filter. I went out and took the fuel bowl apart, dumped and cleaned it. The screen in the bowl was coated with slime and the bowl had dirt in the bottom. I cleaned both and reassembled. Then I opened the vent screw to allow air out and the bowl to fill. I also bought some algae cleaner to treat the fuel. Started right up and ran great. Bush hogged for about a half hour to test it.. All is good.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going.

Yes, neither of the technical manuals for my two 4 series tractors say anything about the screened fitting at the bottom of the fuel tank either. Too bad we have to go to the exploded parts diagrams to learn about such things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am not out of the woods yet. I bush hogged with it for about 4 hours this morning. First two were great. Then it started to just quit like fuel was cut off. Wait about 5 minutes and it fires right up. Runs any where from 5-10 minutes and dies again. I am waiting on a new fuel filter. I plan to clean the bowl and screen and replace the filter. I see in my owners manual that when I take the fuel bowl off there is supposed to be a spring, mine does not have one. I guess I need to get one of those as well as a new screen for in the bowl per the manual. I also plan to pull the filter at the bottom of the tank. I assume the best place to disconnect the line is at the fuel bowl to drain it into a container. Wish it was almost empty but think it has about 2/3rds to 3/4 fuel in it. I knew in buying a tractor that had set outside for 3 years that I would have some challenges. Thank goodness I enjoy the challenge of figuring things like this out.
Side note: first time I have ever really used a tractor with that was an eHydro. Wow, how did I ever live without it. That is so slick.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Well I am not out of the woods yet. I bush hogged with it for about 4 hours this morning. First two were great. Then it started to just quit like fuel was cut off. Wait about 5 minutes and it fires right up. Runs any where from 5-10 minutes and dies again. I am waiting on a new fuel filter. I plan to clean the bowl and screen and replace the filter. I see in my owners manual that when I take the fuel bowl off there is supposed to be a spring, mine does not have one. I guess I need to get one of those as well as a new screen for in the bowl per the manual. I also plan to pull the filter at the bottom of the tank. I assume the best place to disconnect the line is at the fuel bowl to drain it into a container. Wish it was almost empty but think it has about 2/3rds to 3/4 fuel in it. I knew in buying a tractor that had set outside for 3 years that I would have some challenges. Thank goodness I enjoy the challenge of figuring things like this out.
Side note: first time I have ever really used a tractor with that was an eHydro. Wow, how did I ever live without it. That is so slick.

I have revived a few tractors that have sat for years. I have learned to do this;
Step 1; do as little as possible to make sure they run.
Step 2; completely clean fuel system, this includes removing the fuel tank and washing it out, flushing, blowing out or replacing lines, whatever it takes to make absolute sure you have a clean tank, lines and filters.

then a bunch of other stuff... the point is, I have had several tractors do this exact thing, so I don't risk it anymore, just go "all in" on cleaning the fuel system. Last tractor I actually pressure washed the inside of the fuel tank, there was all kinds of crap in there including parts to a fuel gauge type cap/gauge combo thing, a ton of "gunk", slime, sand, sticks, acorns and other debris. That tank was plastic and was like new when I finished... oh, don't forget the fuel return line if your tractor has one.

Reactions: JD Driver

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well now my fuel gauge ha quit working. So I definitely I probably need to take the tank out. Anyone with experience on removing a tank from a 3320? It looks relatively simple but that can be deceiving. Ran the tractor again today for a while, still dying but allowing me to finish the tasks I need to get done. Almost there and then I can take it home from the farm and work on it in my shop.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well now my fuel gauge ha quit working. So I definitely I probably need to take the tank out. Anyone with experience on removing a tank from a 3320? It looks relatively simple but that can be deceiving. Ran the tractor again today for a while, still dying but allowing me to finish the tasks I need to get done. Almost there and then I can take it home from the farm and work on it in my shop.
You shouldn't need to remove the fuel tank to remove the fuel sender unit. You should first follow the instructions in the technical manual for troubleshooting the fuel gauge first to see if the sender is bad, or the gauge is bad.

For example, on my 4610, the technical manual tells you that when you remove the orange wire from the fuel sender, the fuel gauge should read empty. When you short the orange wire to the black wire, the gauge should read full. The fuel sender is a variable resistor that provides 5 ohms full to 95 ohms empty (depending on fuel level) to the gauge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks JD Driver I will do that. i also found out that I can access it by taking off the side panels and do not need to remove the tank. I thought that might be possible but was not sure until JD dealer told me how. .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hopefully the final update. Picked up the new in tank filter today. I removed the old one and it looked like it had been dipped in slime. I pulled it out and the slime dripped off. I also took the dash apart enough to remove and clean the tank sending unit and test it. Looked in the tank and it was relatively clean but by this time I have also drained the tank twice via the connecting hose bibs (?). It looked clean. I think the flushing probably pushed out the slime that was loose since I had previously added some treatment to the fuel. I noted the in tank filter screws in but someone added a hose clamp there as well as to the connecting hose area. I assume that it is a little extra protection against leakage. I left it as is since it did not leak before. I also cleaned the fuel bowl and screen as well as put another new filter on. It actually ha been running ok except for the random stopping from lack of fuel.
Service rep suggested I also buy some JD fuel conditioner that breaks down algae. At $30 per quart I hope it works. It recommends 2 ounces per ten gallon of fuel. He said put in 4 ounces so I did. He said to take it out and drive it and not to be alarmed if it starts running a little strange. Sure glad he told me to expect that.
Thanks again to JD Driver for his assistance in this. After seeing that tank filter, I am sure it is the problem. I held it up to a bright LED light and I could not see anything thru it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts