Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is to give my fellow tractor nuts an informative heads up. A few years back I had my dealer install a Power Beyond and 448 bock hoe on my 3320. Shortly there after I was having rockshaft issues, the implements would fall every few seconds and then raise. I called the dealer and they came to get it since it was still under warranty. When it returned I asked what they found. I was told they replace the rockshaft valve itself. I didn't ask and more questions( I should have). Just after the warranty expired the same issue reappeared, this time on my dime . So I decided to take the PB filter apart. To my suprise it was busted in lots of little pieces. It's made of a sintered material. I proceeded to change the Hygard but it didn't fix the issue. I eventually took apart the entire rockshaft system and the valve itself. I found nothing but after testing everything it worked. I began lots of hydro fluid and filter changes in an attempt to capture any debris in the system.

Which brings me to yesterday. I went out to do some box blading and pulled on the hitch lever. To my suprise no lift on the hitch at all. After a few explatives and checks on why I found nothing. So I pulled the PB filter to make sure it was intact. It was but had very little fluid in it and the PB loop hose felt like it was not getting fluid. At this point I knew the issue was before the PB loop in the rockshaft itself. After diassembly I found a small piece of the sintered filter lodged in a relief port of the valve assembly. I was relieved to find no damage to the valve itself.

Attached are a few pics (thanks Kenny) of the sintered filter (part# 27) the debris (next to a penny for reference) and the rockshaft valve itself.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Wow GWH, that is kind of scary to think that debris could be in the system for that long and not get caught in the main filter. Guess we can call them "Free Radical's":dunno:

Congrats on a speedy fix:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kenny, I work on gas/steam turbine control systems so this is pretty straight forward as far as repairs. I just hope others find this post helpful.

Matt

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Great info. Thanks for posting your troubles. I am glad you found the problem without major damage. :thumbup1gif: Though you may not help someone immediately, You have now left your mark for future seekers. Thank you, Good job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts