Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be so angry but I am furious actually. Used the blower for about 2 hours you can see how new it is in the pictures only to see that the gearbox cover has bent off. Then I search and see the exact same picture from another user. What is going on with these? Clearly they should have bolted the corners of the plate and the real issue here is that the plate extends past the edges of the gearbox.

Then I am thinking i will get a new plate, nope they only sell the gearbox so here in the middle of winter I will have a battle with my dealer and need the machine I spent $25k on to blow snow.

So I guess I will remove the plate today try to hammer it flat and then I a going to grind the edges down.

This is outrageous for a machine this expensive and then to find out no replacement parts are available. I expect this with MTD not with a lower costing this much.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hear that.....They can and should do better....Hope Mother Deere takes care of you.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately there just wont be time. I need the machine working so later today in the -5 temps I will need to remove the cover, bang it out and grind the edges down. If I knew someone with a machine shop I am sure they could make a cover slightly smaller (so no protrusion off the edges to allow this) but it's a bigger deal than I want at the moment, plus for the $3400 I don't think I should need to do this.

I cant find the picture from the other user but it was almost identical to my damage and he also had a new machine like me.

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
Disappointing I know. Don't try straightening the cover with it on the gearbox. You may end up with a broken casting.

Drain the gearbox. Remove & straighten the cover. File or grind the excess material off the cover and reinstall & refill the gearbox. I'm not sure if there's a cover gasket or whether they're using a liquid sealant. You should be OK.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Wow ,,, sorry about the bent cover, and would think Mother Deere will take care..

Do believe I would just leave it alone if it isn't leaking anything or would allow moisture to get inside the gearing , use the blower . If only the complete gear box is available ,that is what Deere would replace.

So using the blower the way it is right now, its running with no problems, use the heck out of it.

Big question what may have caused this to bend. I've had my 47-48" for going on the second winter and all is well so far.:dunno:

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

I don't envy you doing that in the temps today :cold:

Did you catch it on something when you raised it or did it get get an object on the flights and catch the corner? It looks to be 3/16 steel so it would take a serious hammer to put that back straight unless you put some heat on it. Looking at the main casting, I would say the designers stayed away from corner bolts because it allows them to make a smaller casting with stronger corner joints. If you had a bolt on the corners instead of a bent plate, you may have had a broken casting, I'll take a bent plate over a broken gearbox.

As far as no replacement covers, I don't believe Deere makes the gearboxes on their implements, they source them from external suppliers. I would expect that those suppliers are contracted to supply only the gearboxes and as such, that's all you can get. Some implement makers do have replaceable components for the gearboxes, Land Pride and Woods I believe make their gearboxes in house and do list every component as a replacement part number.

·
Administrator
20,968 Posts
Looks like a stamped cover with raised edges to me. :unknown:

·
Banned
419 Posts
Bent Plate

I can tell you from experience that it is not a Deere issue with the bent plate. Something caught on the corner whe you raise the blower and to bend like that you should have felt it. I am 110% sure Deere will not stand by it. Do what everyone said. Take the cover off and slowly and drain the gear oil into a container only about a 1/2 quart in there. Gently tap on the corner of the plate and get it started back into position then place in a vice between two other pieces of metal or a press and straighten it. Then take a wide flat mill file and lay it flat and gently work from the center out across the top and side at the same time. Once smooth apply HIGH temp RTV (red) gasket seal to both the plate and the housing after you clean them very well. Let set until tacky then place a bolt in the good corners to align it then push onto the housing . Tighten in a X pattern lightly until seated then snug up tight. You can also place a small amount on the tip of the bots and be sure to cover the plate well and around each bold hole in the housing. Did it to mine and worked great after the rebuild from the fire.

As to the plastic impeller. I had my doughts at first from another thread on here, but went with plastic with the new one. It has chewed up frozen sod. ice and even a small limb with NO problems. For the price difference I will stay with plastic.

A hint to you. Once the plate is back in place and has set for a day to sure well. It looks like the plate may be a hair bit to wide in radius of that corner. Take a file and shave down the overlap of the plate over the housing that way will not catch again

·
Banned
419 Posts
Bent Plate

Here are two pics of mine. Yes my cover has the overhang outside the housing as well. This is the one I rebuilt and used Rust Oleum Paint to paint it. Seems to have held up very well except in the fan housing where the rocs and sand and grit get mixed in with the snow

At least the 54 I have is the heavy sides not the thin sheet metal as the 47 have then you have to buy the reinforcement panels to add strength. In that case I feel Deere should provide those for free. There is a lot of side force applied when you try to turn against the snow drifts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
There has been a lot of confusion surrounding the 47" and 54" gear cases for a long time. JD has changed the design and the part number several times over the years. When I first got my 54" the gear drive was only available as an entire assembly for around $950. Meanwhile, individual parts were available for the 47" gear box. Then not too long ago, it appeared that they were showing the same whole assembly gear drive on the 47" and 54" and the price magically went down to around $450.

You will notice there are two different covers out there. The one like mine shown below which is completely flat, and then the more recent design which has a domed out center and some kind bolt or stud protruding from the middle.

Blower_gear_cover.jpg

At the moment I cannot find any of the old 47" parts listings that shows the internal gear parts.

I discovered that individual gear box parts were not available only after I had purchased the 54" blower.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Here are two pics of mine. Yes my cover has the overhang outside the housing as well. This is the one I rebuilt and used Rust Oleum Paint to paint it. Seems to have held up very well except in the fan housing where the rocs and sand and grit get mixed in with the snow
Note - your cover is like mine. A flat thick sheet of metal. All the ones so far that have been reported bent are the newer domed-style with the bolt/stud protrusion in the middle.

Can anyone with one of these newer styles tell us what the protrusion is? At first I thought it might be an adjustment nut for backlash or something.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Plate

There has been a lot of confusion surrounding the 47" and 54" gear cases for a long time. JD has changed the design and the part number several times over the years. When I first got my 54" the gear drive was only available as an entire assembly for around $950. Meanwhile, individual parts were available for the 47" gear box. Then not too long ago, it appeared that they were showing the same whole assembly gear drive on the 47" and 54" and the price magically went down to around $450.

You will notice there are two different covers out there. The one like mine shown below which is completely flat, and then the more recent design which has a domed out center and some kind bolt or stud protruding from the middle.

View attachment 130617

At the moment I cannot find any of the old 47" parts listings that shows the internal gear parts.

I discovered that individual gear box parts were not available only after I had purchased the 54" blower.

I think the difference is the protrusion is the check point for the gear oil. I have noticed the same thing the used one at the dealer has the solid plate like mine and the new one inside has the protrusion. I feel that Deere made the change to allow for easier draining of the gear box by tilting the lower forward instead of having to tip it up on one end.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
I can tell you from experience that it is not a Deere issue with the bent plate. Something caught on the corner whe you raise the blower and to bend like that you should have felt it.
I agree... but what? And anything like that would have to be a freaky accident yet there have been multiple occurances. Yet none that we've seen with the plain flat cover.

As to the plastic impeller. I had my doughts at first from another thread on here, but went with plastic with the new one. It has chewed up frozen sod. ice and even a small limb with NO problems. For the price difference I will stay with plastic.
I used my plastic impeller for one season. I was immediately disappointed in the throwing performance of the blower. It only threw snow about half the distance of my 15 year old MTD walk-behind. So I swapped it for the metal impeller and WOW... what a difference. Night and day. Everyone who has swapped in the metal impeller has noted a boost in performance. I have a gravel driveway and that plastic impeller was taking a beating.

I would still love to know what is happening to bend the new front cover.

Quite frankly, with the price Deere is charging for these front blowers and the way the build quality has decreased, I would seriously consider switching to a rear blower if mine broke. At least rear blowers are still made of all metal and most offer individual replacement parts for all of the components.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
I think the difference is the protrusion is the check point for the gear oil. I have noticed the same thing the used one at the dealer has the solid plate like mine and the new one inside has the protrusion. I feel that Deere made the change to allow for easier draining of the gear box by tilting the lower forward instead of having to tip it up on one end.
You could be correct as that certainly make sense. Hopefully someone with the newer cover can confirm.

I checked the manuals for the 47-inch and 54-inch blowers and of course the gear case illustrated in both manuals is totally different than the actual units. :-(

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quite frankly, with the price Deere is charging for these front blowers and the way the build quality has decreased, I would seriously consider switching to a rear blower if mine broke. At least rear blowers are still made of all metal and most offer individual replacement parts for all of the components.
I suspect you are right on track there.
Most likely if they were to make them out of the old style components the cost would be higher.
As they want to sell the same piece of equipment to those using smaller tractors in most likely not as rough of working conditions, they have kept the price down to try to sell more.

What does a 59" for a 3 series go for this these days?

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Last time I checked the blower itself was around $4000 and the mounting components were an additional $1800. At one time I was quoted around $6500 total from a local dealer.

You could almost buy TWO rear blowers for that price.

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
I suspect you are right on track there.
Most likely if they were to make them out of the old style components the cost would be higher.
As they want to sell the same piece of equipment to those using smaller tractors in most likely not as rough of working conditions, they have kept the price down to try to sell more.

~ $4000 for the 59 SB but with the front 3PH, 59 attaching bracket and 2000 RPM PTO kit you're looking at close to $6,000 for the whole deal.

I've got one eye open looking for a 59 SB for the 3320. Already have the front 3PH, 2000 RPM PTO and attaching bracket but with the cab, heater and 47 SB on the 2320 it's not really a huge priority.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts