Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 1996/ 900 hour JD 345 at the local dealer for a water pump and cam replacement for $1,500. When I got it home it was running a little ruff so I noticed on the invoice that they couldn't tune due to a suspected carb issue/ failure. Back to the dealer and almost $400 later I have a new carb. The issue I am having now is that it occasionally loads up on fuel and fouls the plugs. I can smell the gas and see it leaking from the carb area It may mow the lawn and purr like a kitten or run like dog $#*!. A few days ago I didnt know if it would make it to the garage and the next morning it fired up and ran like new.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Due to the exhaust placement on the 345s, I would get this sorted before running it anymore, fuel leaking from the carb is a recipe for burning the tractor down.

Did the dealer replace with an OEM carb? I'd have it back to them, you paid them to do the work, they should have returned a functioning machine to you, not a fire hazard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Due to the exhaust placement on the 345s, I would get this sorted before running it anymore, fuel leaking from the carb is a recipe for burning the tractor down.

Did the dealer replace with an OEM carb? I'd have it back to them, you paid them to do the work, they should have returned a functioning machine to you, not a fire hazard.
Yes it was a OEM Carb, I could have taken the eBay path for about $30 but opted for OEM

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,810 Posts
Check the carburetor vent tube(21, see arrow). It may be clogged, not allowing the card to vent.
This vent tube runs from the carb, down to the underside of the frame. It might be pinched somewhere, or an insect may have built a nest inside the tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.