Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 345 that ran when I bought it . Had carb leak so I had a kit put in it and fired right up went 200 ft and quit. Wouldn't start back up. Pulled a plug wire to check spark . Spun it over and it started. Cut it off and put wire back on it won't start. Pulled wire, it started. As soon as I start to put wire on it cuts off. What could it be?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
What year.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Just a WIG but when you unhooked it was it close enough to the plug to jump to the electrode? If the plug core is broken or the plug is fouled the extra voltage it requires to jump the extra gap will sometimes be hot enough for it to run.:dunno:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a WIG but when you unhooked it was it close enough to the plug to jump to the electrode? If the plug core is broken or the plug is fouled the extra voltage it requires to jump the extra gap will sometimes be hot enough for it to run.:dunno:
It was running on the other cylinder. When I put the one on I took off as soon as it was close to plug it started to cut off.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Sounds like a bad coil.You could try switching the coils to see if the problem moves to the other side.It might be a good idea to change both coils,plugs and get new caps.The new coil wire doesn't come with the new plug cap at the end of the wire,they just screw on.Don't get the cap elsewhere there is something built into the cap that is different then others and I can't remember what it is.
I did mine about 4 years ago,ran better and didn't foul plugs that much.You can get one coil if that ends up being the problem,but I would change both eventually so their the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was a bad coil would it just not fire? I don't understand how a bad coil would make iit cut off if it's running on the other cylinder.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That is one strange 345 you have. Seems to have been invaded by a few "gremlins" of a witch doctor. Due to the fact you have a 345 that runs on one cylinder, and the engine shuts down when you put the coil wire on the other sparkplug/cylinder... makes me think you have a short in the electrical circuits.

Try this to find what side of the engine has the short. Remove the coil from the good side of the engine...coil and sparkplug and cable. Note how the two bottom wires on the coil is located and where they attach. Remove the coil...and cable from the "other side" of the engine and lay it aside...don't install this coil on the engine now. Install the first coil you removed to the side of engine you removed the last. Now, start the tractor and see if it starts and runs. If it start and runs, you have a bad coil and sparkplug wire or armature. If it don't start and run, you probably have a bad Voltage Regulator/Rectifier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys, I'll do a little more testing. I didn't even try to start it with the other one off and the one I took off on. I'll see what it does that way and the try swapping sides.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
If it was a bad coil would it just not fire? I don't understand how a bad coil would make iit cut off if it's running on the other cylinder.
Could be shorted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I swapped the coils and the problem did not swap sides. Still will run when left plug wire on and as soon as I put right plug wire on it cuts off. Once it tried to run a little but cut off. With plug wire off it fires as engine runs. Arching it off the engine does not affect it running on one cylinder. Only when I put the wire on the plug cuts it off. I'm lost.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Ok, I swapped the coils and the problem did not swap sides. Still will run when left plug wire on and as soon as I put right plug wire on it cuts off. Once it tried to run a little but cut off. With plug wire off it fires as engine runs. Arching it off the engine does not affect it running on one cylinder. Only when I put the wire on the plug cuts it off. I'm lost.
Change the plug side to side. Plug could be shorted internally. What plug number do you have in it? J17lm? If so bet that is your issue.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Change the plug side to side. Plug could be shorted internally. What plug number do you have in it? J17lm? If so bet that is your issue.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I swapped the plugs and it didn't change anything. They are Champion cj14. I just don't understand how the wire firing the plug cuts the engine off. Taking the plug out and it fires grounded to engine and it keeps running on other cylinder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That is one strange 345 you have. Seems to have been invaded by a few "gremlins" of a witch doctor. Due to the fact you have a 345 that runs on one cylinder, and the engine shuts down when you put the coil wire on the other sparkplug/cylinder... makes me think you have a short in the electrical circuits.

Try this to find what side of the engine has the short. Remove the coil from the good side of the engine...coil and sparkplug and cable. Note how the two bottom wires on the coil is located and where they attach. Remove the coil...and cable from the "other side" of the engine and lay it aside...don't install this coil on the engine now. Install the first coil you removed to the side of engine you removed the last. Now, start the tractor and see if it starts and runs. If it start and runs, you have a bad coil and sparkplug wire or armature. If it don't start and run, you probably have a bad Voltage Regulator/Rectifier.
Where is the voltage regulator? i don't get how anything can cause it to cut off when fireing righside plug. Any way there can be a timing issue and its fireing at the wrong time?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Where is the voltage regulator? i don't get how anything can cause it to cut off when fireing righside plug. Any way there can be a timing issue and its fireing at the wrong time?

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Not really, both plugs fire on compression and exhaust. I’m lost as well, I cannot understand how it can jump across to ground but fail when on the plug which is essentially the same thing. We are all going to learn something from this, I did some google search’s a couple nights ago and I could not find anything like your problem.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I swapped the plugs and it didn't change anything. They are Champion cj14. I just don't understand how the wire firing the plug cuts the engine off. Taking the plug out and it fires grounded to engine and it keeps running on other cylinder.
You got the wrong plugs in.Should be NGK BMR6A.That Champion number doesn't even cross reference.(840,RCJ8,RC8J,or RC17LM)
Hopefully it damage the voltage regulator or the igniter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You got the wrong plugs in.Should be NGK BMR6A.That Champion number doesn't even cross reference.(840,RCJ8,RC8J,or RC17LM)
Hopefully it damage the voltage regulator or the igniter.
Plugs were in it when I got it. It was running then

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've went back and re-read your first posting. The tractor was running...good, fair, or you think it was running on "both cylinders". Then you decided to fix the gas leak on the carburetor. Never witness a carburetor gas leak in all my years working to lawn tractors. It's usually a fuel pump. Did you have some person to fix the carburetor, or you did it? Think!!. All this problem arose after the repair was done. So, who ever did the work did something wrong. And that could be. wires was put back in wrong location, cut wires, or just plain didn't repair the tractor correctly.

Here is something you can do. Log on to K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts & Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts 1. Click on the "Red Banner" on the website where it shows "Repair manuals". 2. Scroll down to where it shows.. Kawasaki-Service-Repair-Manuals. NOTE: Your 345 18 hp has the Kawasaki FD590V
engine. That is unless someone repowered the tractor. 3. Click on the 4th row. FD590V that is listed there. 4. Click.. Open up the manual there is your Service Manual. 5. Go to Section 7- Electrical System. Scroll down to page 5 -7 to read all about how to repair the starting and servicing the parts there.

I'm think the wiring as been screwed up and it runs on one cylinder and shuts down with the other spark plug wire is connected.

BTW> Get you the correct spark plugs for the tractor. Those Champions are a bad brand to use in a lawn tractor..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts