Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to puchase a SB1174 3 pt blower to augment my front blade.

Does anyone have a similar setup with a hydralic chute rotation?

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
The SB1174 is a great blower. Its really a just a Green Blizzard B74..which I have (wish mine was green though :laugh:)
I was not a fan of the Cylinder style rotator Blizzard/RAD uses, so I fabbed up my own rotator using a hydraulic motor I had kicking around. I just like the motor style better....works super slick and cost me a fraction of what the Factory Hyd. rotation setup costs.

Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Tree Vehicle Snow blower Outdoor power equipment Agricultural machinery Tractor

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

Thanks for the fast reply. Any details on the motor and mounting scheme?

Is the interface between the chute and the motor also unique or part of the original blower?

Just curious as to what is improved over the frontier/deere chute rotation option?

do you get better adjustability using a motor vs a cylinder?

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
Motor...Its an Eaton/CharLynn J2 series Motor. Mounting scheme is something I fabbed up, I've got pics of the mounting bracket at home. I'll try to remember to dig em up and post em tomorrow.

The interface between the chute & motor (Worm Gear) is what you get if you get the manual roatation setup. All I did was use a LoveJoy coupling to couple the Motor to the factory worm gear.

What was improved over the factory version?...mainly my wallet:laugh:. And while I admit, I've never used the RAD version of the roatator, I've seen other brands of blower use a similar setup (Hyd Cylinder and "Linkage) and I've been less then impressed. Not saying the factory setup doesnt work. I've not read reports saying they dont work. I just prefer this setup. Total cost for my Hyd Chute rotation is approx 85.00 with 40.00 of that being hoses and a needle valve.

I dunno about adjustability. In theory you should be able to put an inline needle valve on the cylinder version and adjust the speed that way too. I just saw my method as being cheap (for me) and super effective. Been 2 winters with this setup and I woudnt trade it.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Plus the motor is a cleaner and more compact installation.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Dave, that is sure a great setup! The motor is nice, but if you had to go buy one the cost may approach what the Frontier kit sells for?

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Looking to puchase a SB1174 3 pt blower to augment my front blade.

Does anyone have a similar setup with a hydralic chute rotation?

Thanks
Do you already have the 3rd remote on your machine? If not than fact that into the total cost to get setup.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, 3rd remote present. JD quoted $3000 SB1174 blower, $351 hyd chute rotation.
Not sure how much a Eaton/CharLynn J2 motor would cost.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dave, that is sure a great setup! The motor is nice, but if you had to go buy one the cost may approach what the Frontier kit sells for?
That is a good question. I am lucky in that up home there is a place that specializes in "pre loved" industrial goods...most of my shop was outfitted with tools from him. I paid 20.00 for that motor (I bought a bunch of various hyd motors at the same time)... PERSONALLY, even if it cost the same as the Frontier/RAD kit, I like this setup better. From an "engineering standpoint" I think its a more efficient method of chute rotation.

Acolar said:
Yep, 3rd remote present. JD quoted $3000 SB1174 blower, $351 hyd chute rotation.
Not sure how much a Eaton/CharLynn J2 motor would cost.
Granted, I havent priced one out this year, but that seems high. Last quote I got on one was $2800.00. The exchange rate of US->Canadian dollars wasnt what it used to be though...

Here are a few more pics of it...I thought for sure I had some of the bracket when I was fabbing it up, but I cant find em :think:...

Fuel Wire Technology Hose Pipe Vehicle Auto part Vehicle Red Vehicle Windshield Material property Auto part

·
Registered
154 Posts
Butthead: Cool Blower Dave.
Beavis: Yeah, Yeah, That rocks Dave.....

Seriously, nice work. I wonder why they do not do that from the factory?:spy:

·
Registered
382 Posts
The SB1174 is a great blower. Its really a just a Green Blizzard B74..which I have (wish mine was green though :laugh:)
I was not a fan of the Cylinder style rotator Blizzard/RAD uses, so I fabbed up my own rotator using a hydraulic motor I had kicking around. I just like the motor style better....works super slick and cost me a fraction of what the Factory Hyd. rotation setup costs.

View attachment 302 View attachment 303 View attachment 304

I looked hard at a SB1164 and SB1174 lasy year, but did not purchase. I have the front mounted JD 66" blade set-up with the extension for a total of 82" plus. I still think of getting the rear blower, but I kinda wanted to find one cheap. In looking at it for my unit, it was apparent that it would work best with the 1164 vs the larger unit.

Here is on in IL
'http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/939188

·
Registered
373 Posts
Chute rotation

My starting blower did not have a worm gear tried to get one from RAD but no go
this is what I came up with
agree motor is better than cylinder Green Yellow Leaf Machine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts