Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,030 Posts
The SB1174 is a great blower. Its really a just a Green Blizzard B74..which I have (wish mine was green though :laugh:)
I was not a fan of the Cylinder style rotator Blizzard/RAD uses, so I fabbed up my own rotator using a hydraulic motor I had kicking around. I just like the motor style better....works super slick and cost me a fraction of what the Factory Hyd. rotation setup costs.

Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Tree
Vehicle Snow blower Outdoor power equipment Agricultural machinery Tractor

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Motor...Its an Eaton/CharLynn J2 series Motor. Mounting scheme is something I fabbed up, I've got pics of the mounting bracket at home. I'll try to remember to dig em up and post em tomorrow.

The interface between the chute & motor (Worm Gear) is what you get if you get the manual roatation setup. All I did was use a LoveJoy coupling to couple the Motor to the factory worm gear.

What was improved over the factory version?...mainly my wallet:laugh:. And while I admit, I've never used the RAD version of the roatator, I've seen other brands of blower use a similar setup (Hyd Cylinder and "Linkage) and I've been less then impressed. Not saying the factory setup doesnt work. I've not read reports saying they dont work. I just prefer this setup. Total cost for my Hyd Chute rotation is approx 85.00 with 40.00 of that being hoses and a needle valve.

I dunno about adjustability. In theory you should be able to put an inline needle valve on the cylinder version and adjust the speed that way too. I just saw my method as being cheap (for me) and super effective. Been 2 winters with this setup and I woudnt trade it.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Dave, that is sure a great setup! The motor is nice, but if you had to go buy one the cost may approach what the Frontier kit sells for?
That is a good question. I am lucky in that up home there is a place that specializes in "pre loved" industrial goods...most of my shop was outfitted with tools from him. I paid 20.00 for that motor (I bought a bunch of various hyd motors at the same time)... PERSONALLY, even if it cost the same as the Frontier/RAD kit, I like this setup better. From an "engineering standpoint" I think its a more efficient method of chute rotation.

Acolar said:
Yep, 3rd remote present. JD quoted $3000 SB1174 blower, $351 hyd chute rotation.
Not sure how much a Eaton/CharLynn J2 motor would cost.
Granted, I havent priced one out this year, but that seems high. Last quote I got on one was $2800.00. The exchange rate of US->Canadian dollars wasnt what it used to be though...

Here are a few more pics of it...I thought for sure I had some of the bracket when I was fabbing it up, but I cant find em :think:...

Fuel Wire Technology Hose Pipe
Vehicle
Auto part Vehicle
Red Vehicle Windshield Material property Auto part

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.