Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I go to change the oil in my 3520. Drain old, spin on a new JD filter, and dumb in a jug of Mobile 1 oil (4 qts). Open up jug number 2, and for whatever reason, the color of it catches my eye. It has a red hue to it. Every other time I have used this stuff, it had a nice golden tan color, and this one is red. I stop what I am doing and phone Mobile and of course no one is available after hours, and I didnt get a chance today to call back.

Anyone ever experience this? I have no problem eating the costs if the oil is bad or mislabeled or something, but now have lost confidence in what I am actually buying. Now, for full disclosure, while both sealed and same brand/weight/ect, the labeling was slightly different, so maybe different bottlers or formulations? Then again, even if so, kind of a lousy deal no real notice of such a change?

I plan to call monday to see what they say, but am leaning towards chucking the new oil and filter and choosing another brand. Opinions?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'd wait to talk to Mobil unless you need to use the tractor before Monday.
Used Mobil 1 for years and never noticed a problem.

Could one jug be counterfeit? Seen loads of other products copied including laundry detergent.

·
Super Moderator
5,642 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 since 2002 and it's always been the same tan golden color!

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
This is probably a dumb question but did both jugs had the seal intact?

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
This is a valid question. Don’t know if it is true or not but heard of people buying oil, using it, drain their old oil back into the jug, and return it to the store for refund or credit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a dumb question at all, but as mentioned in my initial post, both new/sealed containers. Both purchased from walmart. That said, the labeling is slightly different. Perhaps as suggested, a counterfeit that made its way back to walley world? I dont need the tractor, and will call on monday to hear what Mobile has to say. Right now I am leaning towards switching brands... but will post up what mobile says and will add some pics for everyone. Off to order a new filter..... more money down the drain.

What sucks with oil is it seems like companies are fairly often changing blends and ingredients in the same packaged/branded oils. Reading through lots of old forum posts on oil boards shows Rotella recently did this. Not saying thats what the deal is with my mobile situation, but rather, just crummy to know you dont know if you are putting the same stuff in you engine as you did in the past...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a valid question. Don’t know if it is true or not but heard of people buying oil, using it, drain their old oil back into the jug, and return it to the store for refund or credit.
How lousy is that! Unreal! I am curious to know what I actually have, and half thinking about sending it off to Blackstone for analysis. Even moreso if Mobile says its fine--- again, came from sealed container. If perhaps they changed formulation or are dying it for some reason, would be interesting to see what is actually in it. So many things these days get revisions to make cheaper (for the seller to make better profits), while passing on the lower end product to the consumer. Curious if this is the case here. Will keep this post updated when I know more.

·
Premium Member
3,977 Posts
Several times over the years I have had Universal Joints be used inside the box I bought! They wiped them off good and put them back in the wrapper and returned them to the Auto Store!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
What exact fomula did you have the problem with?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As HD Dealer said, what grade/spec/type was it?
What was different about the labels?
Can you post a picture of the two jugs?

Mobil 1 generally doesnt change anything in their oils without letting it be known.
The only oddity I can recall recently, an it wasnt that recent, was with the Mobil 1 5w40 TDT oil vs Delvac 1. Supposedly when it was first introduced, they were the same oils, just rebranded for light truck use.
Thats no longer the case, as Delvac 1 is now ESP, but Ive run lots of both through my engines, and other grades/types of Mobil over the years and never seen any that was red.
I have had some a bit darker or lighter than others, but thats about it.

Also, you might get a much faster response over on BobIsTheOilGuy. Those guys are oil nuts...:laugh:
Seriously though, quite a few over there know their stuff where oil is concerned.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
How lousy is that! Unreal! I am curious to know what I actually have, and half thinking about sending it off to Blackstone for analysis. Even moreso if Mobile says its fine--- again, came from sealed container. If perhaps they changed formulation or are dying it for some reason, would be interesting to see what is actually in it. So many things these days get revisions to make cheaper (for the seller to make better profits), while passing on the lower end product to the consumer. Curious if this is the case here. Will keep this post updated when I know more.
I would be curious also. But with that said, even if Mobile says it’s fine, I would swallow the loss and get something else to put in my tractor. Never been a Mobile fanboy myself - I have used Rotella T6 in all my diesels for many years with great success. At around $20 per gallon or less with rebate you just can’t beat it.

In fact this year it comes to $13 a gallon purchased at Walmart with the $7 rebate -

Shell Rotella Rebate

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Updated with pics

In the left corner we have a new and sealed mobile one in tan shorts, in the right corner we have a new and sealed mobile one in red shorts! Both ready to mix and brawl in your Diesel engine! Front labels are close, rear are different. Mobile one unresponsive (due to holiday perhaps????).

I had the full jug of tan in the engine and luckily didn't dump any red in. Today I drained and refilled with rotella T6. $50 down the drain, but who knows what that red stuff is. New formula? Who knows. Didn't want to find out.

I will try mobile later in the week to see what they say, and don't care enough to start a thread on bobistheoilguy, but if anyone has an account there, feel free to pass on.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Maybe they slipped in some of the holiday stuff?

mobil-super-3000-pumpkin-spice-flavor-full-synthetic-al-motor-3776667.png

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is strange and you broke the cap seal when you opened it?
Yes, I did for sure! I am a bit fussy and particular when it comes to maintenance. I had the loader on the tractor, so I had a funnel with a long hose to pour the oil in, and it took a while to work its way in the case. While the first jug was draining, I opened up jug 2 (red stuff) and for some reason it caught my eye, and I poked my finger in it, and saw the noticeable difference. Both bottles were new and sealed... that is for sure.

Dumped it Rotella tonight, and was pleased it was the same color for both jugs. lol!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
One of them is the newer formula, but it shouldnt be red.
My guess is the older one is much older and has been sitting for some time.
I cant recall when the switched to the latest formula, but its been a while. There is a latest formula, just changed to in August, or at least their website was updated then with new info.

They (Mobil) will be able to tell you whats up with the oil, and how old it is, and may replace it for you too.
The Mobil 1 TDT is a very good oil by all accounts. Around here, its the same price as Rotella T, and while I like that oil fine, the Mobil 1 generally produces better oil analysis.
And Rotella T generally isnt recommended for the TDI, or at least the previous version wasnt. No idea about the latest stuff, but TDT always did great for everyone on the TDI forums.
Anyway, not to get into a debate about whats what, but there is certainly nothing wrong, in general, with it. Now that jug you got...who knows. I wouldnt have put it in my engine either.
Id have taken it back and asked the place I bought it what the heck...even Walmart should exchange it for you.
Again though, my guess is old stock. Maybe you have one that doesnt sell much TDT, and most places dont rotate out old stock.

Reactions: JD4044M and Nch209

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the responses! I will attempt to follow up later in the week and see what they say.

Also, and I hate to ask this... .but is Rotella T6 an acceptable oil for my 3520? I change often with a filter, and while I dont care much about price, rather, easy availability (and now consistency) means the most to me.

EDIT--- see coaltrain vouches for T6 so I will give it a go. :)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I like the TDT or Delvac 1 ESP, and am currently sitting on 5 gallons of Delvac 1 ESP for the VW TDI. Once its gone, Ill go back to the TDT. It works and its a dollar or so cheaper per gallon.
In that engine, I prefer to stick to the TDT, but thats because I know, from others extensive use and oil analysis, that it works better for that engine than some others do.
I have not done any research into using Rotella T6 in the newer formula in the TDI, simply because I was fine with what I found years ago when I first bought the TDI.
That may change, as some say the new formula of Rotella is about as good, and that if Im sticking to standard oil change intervals, it will work every bit as good. Ill have to look into it a bit more I guess.

That said, in anything else, including my 2025, Id be perfectly happy with Rotella T6 in the crankcase.
Its a very good oil. I actually run it in my gas engine stuff, Exmark, 318, etc.

Without (or at least without actively trying) getting into a debate about what oil is what, most of us want our stuff protected from damage for as long as possible, or rather, we want it to last as long as it can. We spent a lot of money on whatever we are putting oil into, and want to believe that what we choose is the best there is. I believe this is why things sometimes get heated with oils, or most anything else that involves big choices.
Anyway, my point is, any good quality oil will get the job done for you, for a very long time.
If you are running an oil from a big name, your engine likely wont know the difference if you change it when you should.
Chevrons Delo, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck or Delvac 1 ESP, Shells Rotella T6...and a few others. Any of those are easy to find, and will allow you to sleep well knowing you put some of the best oil made in your engine.
Price wise, Rotella is generally on the cheaper end. Delo seems to be the cheapest, and I didnt like it when I used it in the 318. Engine made more noise with it. Rotella fixed that.
I found the local Rural King has Mobil 1 TDT for $21/gal. Given the rebates Mobil offers, its a great deal if you can get it when they are doing their rebate.
Same thing with Rotella.
Once you get an oil you like, its a good idea to buy several gallons when they have the rebate, as its considerably cheaper, obviously.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm amazed your problem was with the turbo diesel truck oil. Used gallons of it in my SRT10 truck. Never seen any difference in color. Actually just changed the oil in my garden tractor with a leftover jug.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts