Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Wow, that looks great. Were you considering a 3pt? What are the differences in use for the two? I mean how is one better than the other?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering a 3pt...I had actually bought a IHC C-20 Plow which was Fast Hitch with the intention of converting it to a 3pt version... My FIL told me the benefits of a trailer plow...ESPECIALLY with a Compact Tractor..
-No need to adjust anything on the tractor...no tweaking of the 3pt to level it
-Virtually infinate adjustabilty of the hitch so I can be in the furrow...even with the "odd" wheel spacing of CUT's.
-Once the plow is set...you forget it....I parked it and when I hitch it up next fall, I know it will be fine.
I'm no plow expert by any means...the furrows you see in the pics, are the first I've ever turned in my lifetime....

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
This is the first time I have heard that not using the 3pt was a better way to go. Looks like you made the right choice. Good tools can really aid in finished results.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the first time I have heard that not using the 3pt was a better way to go. Looks like you made the right choice. Good tools can really aid in finished results.
Trust me Randy, it was "news" to me too...I knew my FIL used a trailer type himself, but I just thought it was because thats what he had... After hearing him explain the virtues of a trailer type, the next "problem" was finding one...here in New England they appear to be rarer then hens teeth...I know there used to be a bazillion of them 10 years ago, but the high scrap iron prices pretty much cleaned up every fence row around.

I must admit, the trip rope mechanism is nothing short of amazing...yeah its a PITA to use with the cab, but for what it was back in the day...Super Slick....It may be slick, but I'm on the prowl for an IHC Hydraulic Coversion Kit for this plow.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Lookin good Dave, no longer than that would take I would leave the rear window open and use it as is.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lookin good Dave, no longer than that would take I would leave the rear window open and use it as is.
That was the original plan...its not that it doesnt work good, its just when I get to the "headlands" alot is happening...need to pay attention to where I'm going, gotta pull the trip & make sure it goes up, etc... Its not that I want to close the window, I just need either 3 hands or Hyd. Lift..:laugh:
All that also depends on if I can find a parts plow...The side with the clutch hub is FUBARED...so I may need to torch off the wheels and weld on modern spindles (or completely fab up 2 new axles)...if I do that, the clutch HAS to go.

I've got a lead on another #8 just like this one with perfect wheels/hubs...

I plan on "restoring" this plow next summer...whats in the air is the exact definition of "restoring". Everything hinges on if I can find a parts plow or not. Right on down to what kind of bolts will I use?...Factory it has square headed bolts...but if I end up "modifying" it to my liking, I'll probably save myself the bucks and use normal Gr8 hex headed bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts