Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tractor just clocked 40 hours so I called my dealer to get a price on the 50 hour service. Figured I’d let them do the first one. They said it would be $360!!!! I wasn’t expecting that. Oil filters hydraulic fluid clean screens and transmission. And run a magnet I assume through where they can for I assume again metal shavings from break in. Do you guys think it’s a good idea to let the dealer do all this the initial time or have many done it yourselves and about at what cost. I change my own brakes and my own oil in my vehicles so I’m sure I can handle it once I look into what it all involves. I was just surprised at what it cost. What have you guys done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
I did my 50 hour service this past Fall. I'm about the same mechanically...I comfortably do brake work on my vehicles, valve checks on my motorcycle, oil changes, etc. The cost of filters and hydraulic fluid (a bit over 3 gallons - I bought a 5 gallon pail at the JD dealer) was easily about $150. So, given the time it took me, a couple hours, I could see the dealer charging $360. If you're thorough, it will take some time. I re-torqued all the hardware, changed the filters and fluids. I bet I had close to 3 hours into it...again, taking my time, doing everything.

I still need to grease my drive shaft zerk fitting; not sure you need to do that on the new 2025R, but on my "Classic" 2025R, it needs done at 50 hours. I'm at 66 hours and will get to it this Spring.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
Do your own service and save yourself about $200.00 +.

Plus you learn , how to maintain your tractor, craw under the tractor and get dirty.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I’m gonna pick up a few fluids and filters. Save couple hundred $$ and mess with tractor few hours is all good by me. Just have to learn how to clean the hydraulic filters etc. I’ve greased everything but the front driveshaft u joint.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where and how do they use a magnet on the machine? Just run it through the fluid drains to see if there are any loose particles?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Don't forget that if your tractor is eligible for the warranty doubling thing they are doing and you don't let them do the annual service, you will lose that. I don't know if that's worth saving a few bucks. A 10 year or whatever it is warranty is pretty great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like others have said it's not hard to do your own service. Just take your time and read your manual.
It's a good idea to have the dealer do it at least once during the warranty period though. They may see something you missed or know of a known issue and get get it covered before it's a big problem and out of warranty.

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
Where and how do they use a magnet on the machine? Just run it through the fluid drains to see if there are any loose particles?

The magnets are already in the screen that you will remove to clean, diesel fuel works great for this.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I still need to grease my drive shaft zerk fitting; not sure you need to do that on the new 2025R, but on my "Classic" 2025R, it needs done at 50 hours. I'm at 66 hours and will get to it this Spring.

:cheers:
that was the exact reason I had the dealer do my first service, and had them write on the receipt that it had been greased, then asked them how they did it so that I could do it the next time, so far I'm 1 of 2 success's:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I did the service myself. I found it very easy to do. I purchased all my supplies from my dealer. They seem to have my tractor on file and seem to have a record of everything I purchased from them. Buying filters and oil from the dealership should help if any warranty issues come up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I did the service myself. I found it very easy to do. I purchased all my supplies from my dealer. They seem to have my tractor on file and seem to have a record of everything I purchased from them. Buying filters and oil from the dealership should help if any warranty issues come up.
I'm a stickler for keeping records. Not only for myself, but especially on any vehicle that's under MFG's warranty. I keep a folder with all the receipts and then on the inside cover, I date it, put the hours (or miles) and then a description of what was done. Buying from the dealer isn't really much more expensive than buying online, so that's what I typically do. Then, as you point out, they have records as well.

Fortunately, I never had an issue where I needed to prove maintenance. *knock on wood* :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I keep Excel spreadsheet maintenance logs for our vehicles, my tractors and mower.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I keep Excel spreadsheet maintenance logs for our vehicles, my tractors and mower.:thumbup1gif:
I do, too. I stopped for my motorcycles and tractor. Not sure why. I think keeping old school paper records was easier in a way since I keep those folders in a drawer in the garage. Someday, I'd sort of like to get my garage a bit more "tech", but, I'm an IT Engineer and sort of don't like technology in my shop. I have a radio....and once in a while, my bluetooth speaker to listen to tunes online...but that's as far as it goes. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,604 Posts
As Kenny stated, the magnets are in the suction screen. I'm thinking the dealer might have meant that while they have the screen out that they run a telescopic magnet in to pick up any loose filings before reassembly and adding new fluid.
The magnets are already in the screen that you will remove to clean, diesel fuel works great for this.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As Kenny stated, the magnets are in the suction screen. I'm thinking the dealer might have meant that while they have the screen out that they run a telescopic magnet in to pick up any loose filings before reassembly and adding new fluid.
Makes sense. I would hope there are not any metal shavings but I’ll definitely check.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't forget that if your tractor is eligible for the warranty doubling thing they are doing and you don't let them do the annual service, you will lose that. I don't know if that's worth saving a few bucks. A 10 year or whatever it is warranty is pretty great.
I am not quoting JD, but working other industries as long as you complete and document (receipts) your own maintenance. Manufacture cant deny warranty issues. If every car manufacture did that there would be a lot of issues etc!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Makes sense. I would hope there are not any metal shavings but I’ll definitely check.

Take your time and really clean out the bottom of the transaxle...drain it out, reach in there with one of those telescopic magnets and swish it around the remaining oil that lays in the bottom of the transaxle. I had lots of metal in mine. not sure why. 66+ hours now and not an issue....no idea if they were from manufacturer assembly or what.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I am not quoting JD, but working other industries as long as you complete and document (receipts) your own maintenance. Manufacture cant deny warranty issues. If every car manufacture did that there would be a lot of issues etc!
That's not how it works.

You have a factory warranty for X years. On my tractor I think it's 6. They will honor that no matter what you do. That's the law, as you said. You don't even need receipts.

BUT...

They are *offering* you an extension. And the way that you "buy" this extension, is by letting them do all annual maintenance. It's completely legal, and completely awesome.

I believe the extension is double or close to it.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
My 200-hour supplies (antifreeze, engine oil, 7-gallons hydraulic oil, filters) for my 4200 was about $250 the last time I did it. Then factor in shop labor that I'm guessing is $100 an hour, plus pick up and return transportation fees and I can easily envision such a service coming in around $750 or more.

The worst part is trying to get a container to handle that much hydraulic oil. If you can do brake jobs on cars, you can do this service too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts