Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I hope all is well. I have an 85 acre farm/camp and own an old 970 and a newer 3720. I’m looking to buy a rotary cutter and bigger is better based on the fields that need mowed. Therefore I would like to have a 6ft cutter but the minimum required hp is 30, which is the pto hp of both tractors . Anyone with experience on using the minimum pto hp with this cutter?

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
No experience with your tractors or cutter, but I use a RC2060 that requires 19.2 pto hp on a 2025R that has 18 pto hp with no problems.
I believe as long as you are meeting the minimum hp requirements you should have no trouble. If you got into real thick stuff you could always take a smaller cut.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe consider a RC2072 instead. Its probably more appropriately sized for a 3 series, mostly because of weight.

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's 5hp per foot of cutter, which is the general rule of thumb guideline when it comes to PTO powered implements. I run a 5ft cutter behind my 25PTO HP 870 and it will go threw some pretty gnarly stuff, without issue. The MX6 weighs just over 1000lbs, which is well within both of those machines 3pt lift capabilities (970=2,000lbs, 3720=2,500lbs), and minimum required PTO HP for the MX6 according to John Deere, is 30HP. They both ought to handle that cutter pretty easily
Rotary Cutters | MX6 Rotary Cutter | John Deere US

·
Registered
117 Posts
I cut brush and grass with a 2038 (32pto hp) and 72" agco rotary cutter without any problems at all. Most of the time I'm doing it at half throttle. If you have acreage you'll be fine with a 6' mower and might even consider a 7' mower.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I had a 3046r and the MX6. I loved the MX6. I would never look at the frontier line of cutters as they are very weak and you can’t back up without bending the rear chain holder/guard.

The MX6 is the biggest that the 3046 can handle. It picked it up no problem but would bog down pretty hard in the tall stuff. I did have the cab so some hp was robbed by the air conditioner. YouTube milharri and watch my videos with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I had a 3046r and the MX6. I loved the MX6. I would never look at the frontier line of cutters as they are very weak and you can’t back up without bending the rear chain holder/guard.

The MX6 is the biggest that the 3046 can handle. It picked it up no problem but would bog down pretty hard in the tall stuff. I did have the cab so some hp was robbed by the air conditioner. YouTube milharri and watch my videos with it.
According to the specs I found, the 3046r and the 3720 are pretty close hp wise - both at the engine and the PTO.

I have a 3520, so I'm closer to the 30HP PTO than the OP is at approx 35HP PTO. I'm looking for a cutter and found an MX-6 this morning, but you're making me wonder if my tractor will be OK with it. MX-6 specs say a minimum of 30HP, so theoretically I'm OK, but I'll actually be cutting brush (honeysuckle) and not grass. Will that made a difference for me (and the OP, depending on what he's cutting)? Does brush require more or less HP than grass/weeds?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
10,184 Posts
It may just depend on how thick either is. (brush vs. grass)

My opinion is how dense the material is will dictate the HP required.

If it is brush your cutting, that would make me want the MX even more. It has a heavier deck that can withstand all the crap flying around under it.

Honeysuckle..... :banghead: I'm starting to hate that stuff as much as briars and poison ivy.

Reactions: mark02tj and PJR832

·
Registered
937 Posts
According to the specs I found, the 3046r and the 3720 are pretty close hp wise - both at the engine and the PTO.

I have a 3520, so I'm closer to the 30HP PTO than the OP is at approx 35HP PTO. I'm looking for a cutter and found an MX-6 this morning, but you're making me wonder if my tractor will be OK with it. MX-6 specs say a minimum of 30HP, so theoretically I'm OK, but I'll actually be cutting brush (honeysuckle) and not grass. Will that made a difference for me (and the OP, depending on what he's cutting)? Does brush require more or less HP than grass/weeds?
I would say to go for it! I don’t have much experience with Honeysuckle but I think it more of a weed than brush but I could be wrong. You’ll be amazed at how well it cuts and how durable it is.

In standard stuff it did just fine and I could go all out in A range without missing a beat.

I just took my 2038r and MX5 out and it is a great combination so the MX6 should be just fine for yours. Just know that when the weeks are think and 10’ tall that you have to slow down pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
It may just depend on how thick either is. (brush vs. grass)

My opinion is how dense the material is will dictate the HP required.
I agree with rtgt, we mainly only cut pasture grass and fields not worth of making hay, I've had thick grass bog me down a little at times. Any thick material will at times build up under the deck and that where the HP comes in handy. Even tedding our first cutting hay will occasionally make the Ford 5000 work.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I would say to go for it! I don’t have much experience with Honeysuckle but I think it more of a weed than brush but I could be wrong. You’ll be amazed at how well it cuts and how durable it is.
Around here, Honeysuckle is definitely "brush" and not a "weed". I'll post a picture below for reference.

I'm going to pass on this one for a couple of reasons. After I posted here I Googled "Deere 3520 MX6" and found several threads on "that other tractor site" with the same question. The consensus was that the MX6 was a bit much for the 3520 - it would handle it, but was not ideal.

I also texted the guy that posted the ad on CL for the MX6. If you open the link, you'll see that there's no tailwheel or PTO shaft pictured. I thought that was kind of odd. Here's what I texted him.... "Texting about your MX6. Do you have the tailwheel assembly and the PTO shaft. Do you know what year the mower is? Also curious what size / model tractor you used it with. My tractor has 30HP at the PTO which might be pushing it a little. THANKS!" His reply - "Yes I have a tail wheel and I should have a shaft. It's a couple years old." I thought it was kind of odd that he "should have a shaft". Where do you misplace a 6' long PTO shaft? And why is it and the tailwheel totally removed from the unit? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but... :unknown:

There's a dealer about an hour from here that has two MX5's on his lot for about the same money. They list the serial numbers for the mowers on the website so I need to figure out if I can find out the year of the mowers and where the gearboxes were made. Apparently there were problems with the gearboxes made in China and Spain.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread. :hide:

20190130_105824_resized.jpg

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
9,369 Posts
Around here, Honeysuckle is definitely "brush" and not a "weed". I'll post a picture below for reference.

I'm going to pass on this one for a couple of reasons. After I posted here I Googled "Deere 3520 MX6" and found several threads on "that other tractor site" with the same question. The consensus was that the MX6 was a bit much for the 3520 - it would handle it, but was not ideal.

I also texted the guy that posted the ad on CL for the MX6. If you open the link, you'll see that there's no tailwheel or PTO shaft pictured. I thought that was kind of odd. Here's what I texted him.... "Texting about your MX6. Do you have the tailwheel assembly and the PTO shaft. Do you know what year the mower is? Also curious what size / model tractor you used it with. My tractor has 30HP at the PTO which might be pushing it a little. THANKS!" His reply - "Yes I have a tail wheel and I should have a shaft. It's a couple years old." I thought it was kind of odd that he "should have a shaft". Where do you misplace a 6' long PTO shaft? And why is it and the tailwheel totally removed from the unit? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but... :unknown:

There's a dealer about an hour from here that has two MX5's on his lot for about the same money. They list the serial numbers for the mowers on the website so I need to figure out if I can find out the year of the mowers and where the gearboxes were made. Apparently there were problems with the gearboxes made in China and Spain.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread. :hide:

Mark, if the guy is a "wheeler dealer" who buys and sells, it might explain his lack of familiarity with the 6 foot shaft because he might not have ever used the implement himself. That might lead to you getting "a 6 foot PTO shaft" as to whether it's the right one for your set up, triple check it as the damage from too long a PTO shaft with the 3 point in the full lift position can be $$$$$$$.

As to the rear dolly wheel, I have seen many removed during rack storage or even trailer transport due to the extra few feet of length sticking out. Its usually with the machine and reinstalled easily if that's the case. I remove the rear wheel to store it in the winter. It's just a couple of bolts.

Also, depending upon the tractor size and the top link set up, I see some who run the mowers with it fully suspended on the rear 3 point hitch, with no tail wheel or dolly wheel. I wouldn't want to do that for my tractor and mower, but a larger tractor with more clearance and more 3 point capacity, it allows them to back into spaces and not risk damaging the tail wheel........It's tough to mow some road sides and ditches with the tail wheel on due to the slope, but much depends upon the machine it is on.

As far as hijacking the thread, Mark, my friend, you are no stranger to that practice, as neither am I.......:laugh::lol: I thought of you yesterday when I was working on our HOA tax return.....:banghead::lolol:

Reactions: PJR832 and mark02tj

·
Registered
117 Posts

Brush requires less hp in my experience but that doesn't mean if you try to mow down a 2" tree the engine will be happy about this. Go get that MX6 and show Mr. Honeysuckle who is the boss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts