Green Tractor Talk banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
After slamming shut in the wind, the left side cab door on my 3720 will no longer open. The button outside and the lever on the inside still move, but the door will not unlatch. Does anyone have any ideas? I have removed the inside plastic cover as best I can (it's held in place while the door is latched) and poked around with a screw driver, but I haven't made any progress. There's some nuts as bolts I can try to undo, but the presence of springs in the mechanism has me having visions of shooting springs and not being able to reassemble the latch correctly.

·
Premium Member
x_posts
If your cab has a latched right door, remove the cover on it to get an idea of the layout of the latch assembly. That might help you to navigate to the correct area inside the covered left one and release the latch.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your cab has a latched right door, remove the cover on it to get an idea of the layout of the latch assembly. That might help you to navigate to the correct area inside the covered left one and release the latch.
That's the stage I'm at. Unfortunately, I think I need to come at it from the front end of the tractor, which is where I don't have access from.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
x_posts
Here is the parts schematic for the latches. It looks similar to the latch on my tractor. You should be able to release the latch inside the cab with the cover removed and using a screw driver or small pry tool. Just get in the cab and start seeing what pieces move with spring load inside the latch and the door will pop open.

One more trick. Take the key and lock the latch from the outside and then see if it changes the latch. If it does not allow you to push the button outside or pull the handle inside, then you might be able to get the latch to function again once you unlock the handle with the key again, outside. Once you lock it, then unlock it with the key and try the handle again from the inside and outside. You might be surprised to find it will open.......

The latch catches the striking pin to hold the door shut. All you need to do is release the latch which is shown as the little "jaws" next to item 10 in the illustration. They simply wrap around the door latch striker bolt to hold the door closed. Pry those open vertically and the door should open. Then you can remove the entire latch and fix it or replace it.

Here is the link to this screen

·
Premium Member
x_posts
Sulley, the latch cover can't be removed without destroying it with the door closed on my cab and it's likely Yamezz' cab as well. One way to get the door open and remove the cover is to loosen and turn the striker pin until it is free from the pillar. See pic below. It might take a sacrificial cheap wrench ground down for clearance but at least you can get the door open, remove the latch cover and have a look at things.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Joe. I'll have a poke around with a few different tools and see if I can pry the jaws apart.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed.

I took the cover off the other door to get an idea of what I was trying to achieve. In the end, I had to remove the plated locking mechanism from the painted door hardware and follow joes suggestion to remove the striker from the door frame. Some picks and screwdrivers were no help in releasing the jaws. I had to use a hammer and punch to carefully knock the top jaw back in front of the bottom jaw, which was what was causing the hang-up. In Joe's picture above, the bottom jaw leads the top jaw, but mine had jumped over, so the top jaw was leading the bottom and not releasing.

x_y_of_z_posts