Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this tractor backhoe setup for years and always been able to deal with issues I have with it because I only use the backhoe a couple times a year. First off, my rock shafts doesn't go high enough to mount my backhoe without using the stabilizer arms to go the extra inch it needs. I've heard the max height is adjustable but not sure how? Second, the controls on the left for the swing left to right, and boom control are insanely jumpy which makes it very hard to operate the hoe quickly. Any way to slow the valve down on the left controls only? Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
Can't help on the height issue, but you can add a 3/8" NPT restrictor to one of the swing circuit hoses to slow it down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where would that restrictor hook in? I'm assuming it wouldn't be on the power beyond lines as that would slow down everything it seems? Your restrictors for my 3rd scv works perfectly so I was hoping that would be an option for the backhoe as well, just wasn't sure how to slow one but not the other..

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
Where would that restrictor hook in?
Look in there...you'll see the two hoses coming from the two swing cylinders going to the valve, you can add one inline there. Sorry I do not have a picture now.

You would NEVER restrict the PB lines, you can overheat the fluid and/or damage your pump.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks! Now I'm assuming I would need to do the same to the boom up/down lines? Also, would each line need a restrictor, or just one restrictor on either of the two?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I've had this tractor backhoe setup for years and always been able to deal with issues I have with it because I only use the backhoe a couple times a year. First off, my rock shafts doesn't go high enough to mount my backhoe without using the stabilizer arms to go the extra inch it needs. I've heard the max height is adjustable but not sure how? Second, the controls on the left for the swing left to right, and boom control are insanely jumpy which makes it very hard to operate the hoe quickly. Any way to slow the valve down on the left controls only? Thanks!
I just hooked up and used my brother in laws 4600 with detachable backhoe. Same story, his rockshaft would not lift it high enough for the pin holes to line up so we used the out riggers. The boom swing on it was also jumpy but I could also feel binding in the control. It would move hard then go all of a sudden causing the boom jerkiness. His sat outside for a while so I figured it was rust in the linkage. I sprayed the linkage and exposed parts of the spool valves with some penetrating grease. The first day it was still sticky and I figured that didnt correct the problem....the next day however it worked smoothly. Just my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
8,956 Posts
My 3320 won't pick the 485 backhoe all the way up either. Maxed out it's about 1/2" too low at idle BUT if I increase the engine RPM's up to ~ 1600 it will bring it up the rest of the way. If you're attempting to lift the BH at idle speed you don't have enough rockshaft lift pressure.

Reactions: ridesdirt and kylew

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
Awesome thanks! Now I'm assuming I would need to do the same to the boom up/down lines? Also, would each line need a restrictor, or just one restrictor on either of the two?
You only need one. We did not to the boom side, so cannot comment on if it's the same size.

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
Can't help on the height issue, but you can add a 3/8" NPT restrictor to one of the swing circuit hoses to slow it down.
Correction: They are 3/8" NPT, not 1/4 as previously stated.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Super Moderator
8,956 Posts
Correction: They are 3/8" NPT, not 1/4 as previously stated.
Kenny,

I believe the older 3 series did have 1/4” hoses and QC’s.

I believe the changeover to 3/8” was ~2009.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys! Mine is stored indoors and has been jumpy since day 1 so I think I'm going to try the restrictor approach. Do you sell them on your site Ken? I fixed the height issue by cutting some metal pipe into sleeves that slide onto the rockshaft pins. They give just the amount extra I needed.

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Adjusting the rock shaft height is simple. There is a threaded shaft connected on the left side of the rock shaft with a nut on both sides. Loosen the back nut and then turn both nuts to adjust the location on the shaft. I adjusted with the tractor running and the 3 point moved up as I adjusted. I can probably take a picture if that would help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ordered thanks
Adjusting the rock shaft height is simple. There is a threaded shaft connected on the left side of the rock shaft with a nut on both sides. Loosen the back nut and then turn both nuts to adjust the location on the shaft. I adjusted with the tractor running and the 3 point moved up as I adjusted. I can probably take a picture if that would help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you could that would be great! I thought taking slack out of the linkage on the lever itself might work but unfortunately it did not. Definitely would like to do it right. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Two pictures attached.
If you loosen the nut that I have the wrench on, you can then turn the nut on the opposite side (can't see it in the pictures) so it moves the whole mechanism toward the loosened nut, that will allow the rock shaft to move up farther. A small amount of adjustment makes a difference. Don't forget to retighten when adjusted.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you! I'm going to try that out first thing in the morning. What year/model is your tractor? I don't remember that piece being on my tractor but I definitely could be wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My tractor is 2012 3720 with cab. I would be very surprised if it different but may be. I believe all 3pts have a similar mechanism or an electronic sensor to limit rock shaft movement so if it is different there should still be something that controls it. Good Luck!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts