Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need to do some backhoe work this year, and debating the purchase of a 375a for my 3046r cab model. I have a few questions for those with some experience with that or similar models. My projects include some stone wall repair, trenching for some under-drain, and trenching for underground utilities.

I grew up in construction so my frame of reference is excavators and loader/backhoes. I can borrow my dad’s Cat loader backhoe, but need to pay for transportation which can add up... $250 each way. I could also rent but worried about fees over the long term.

So here are the questions:
How maneuverable is it to reposition? Will it have enough power to lift and set over the tractor or push it forward while trenching?

Getting out of the cab, getting on the backhoe, and back? Seems like that would get frustrating.

I found a used one for $5k but it is 5hrs away. It’s only a deal if I would like it.

Thanks,
Toby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I will need to do some backhoe work this year, and debating the purchase of a 375a for my 3046r cab model. I have a few questions for those with some experience with that or similar models. My projects include some stone wall repair, trenching for some under-drain, and trenching for underground utilities.

I grew up in construction so my frame of reference is excavators and loader/backhoes. I can borrow my dad’s Cat loader backhoe, but need to pay for transportation which can add up... $250 each way. I could also rent but worried about fees over the long term.

So here are the questions:
How maneuverable is it to reposition? Will it have enough power to lift and set over the tractor or push it forward while trenching?

Getting out of the cab, getting on the backhoe, and back? Seems like that would get frustrating.

I found a used one for $5k but it is 5hrs away. It’s only a deal if I would like it.

Thanks,
Toby

I have the 375A backhoe.

It is my first backhoe.

The dealers mechanic that gave me the run down of it told me specifically not to do what you just ask.

He told me not to re-position the tractor using the hoe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 375A backhoe. This is my first tractor. The backhoe has plenty of power for digging or moving the the tractor if need be. i have dug a few stumps out but it did take me awhile. So i had someone with a big excavator take the stumps out and a few trees. It would of taken me way to long with the tractor. i wish i would of gotten the 385A though. You can never have to much power.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
i wish i would of gotten the 385A though. You can never have to much power.
Digging stumps with a CUT and BH attachment takes some practice. Especially without making a mess. I have a 485 for my 3320 and it does well. I’ve moved some big stumps and large boulders with it.

Is the 385 / 385A BH still available?

Reactions: toby.jutras

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I ONLY have a BH 46 on my 2032r but I love it.

You do have limitations on these tractor mounted BH’s for sure, they are not construction grade. They are not as fast, they are not as strong, they are not as durable, and they have limited reach/depth/lift capacities compared to construction equipment. That said they will do everything you are asking to have done; within reason, I to have been advised not to reposition the rear of the tractor with the BH.

The benefits of these tools in your tractor is that they are yours, there are no further rental or transportation fees, minimal maintenance and the biggest one-time. They are always available and will get right to work weather you have 15 minutes or a whole day. You can pick away at large tasks in your spare time, evenings, weekends, etc. one cannot compare that convenience to having to schedule, transport and rent another machine.

For $5k I’d seriously consider the one your looking at!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Digging stumps with a CUT and BH attachment takes some practice. Especially without making a mess. I have a 485 for my 3320 and it does well. I’ve moved some big stumps and large boulders with it.

Is the 385 / 385A BH still available?

Yes the 385 is available at the time. My dealer never told me there was an option.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have the 375A backhoe.

It is my first backhoe.

The dealers mechanic that gave me the run down of it told me specifically not to do what you just ask.

He told me not to re-position the tractor using the hoe.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I have been doing this with the 1026r and now with the 2032r with no issues. I pick the back end up and move the rear of the tractor all the time. I also use the hoe to move the tractor forward and backwards all the time when trenching. If I am not far enough out or in the hoe just will not pick it up or move it either way. The Hydraulic bypass kicks in if not done right.

·
Registered
778 Posts
5k$ purchase from a private seller could easily be 4500$-4000$ IMHO. Do you have power beyond? Does it come with the subframe?

I use mine to move forward when trenching.

This thing has paid for itself. Around here running a new water line is a flat 2000$

Fixing a broken water line 6-800$ unless its Chistmas eve $$$

Trenching is @20-30$ per foot.

And you can always use it and re-sell it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I may follow up with the seller to see if he is ready to negotiate. It’s been posted for a couple weeks now, and it is a far drive.

Can this be safely transported upright without the tractor?

Toby

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have a 48 BH, which is the great-grandfather of the 375A. it will easily do the things you mentioned- build walls, dig trenches, and yes it can move the tractor if done right. I just put it in 2wd and lift the stabilizers, then lift the back wheels up and shove forward or pull back, then set everything back up again. just be careful not to hit anything.

This thing doesn't get used much, but when it does, I'm glad to have it. I have dug countless holes, hundreds of feet of trench, and dredged a section of creek (I dug the creekbed down to about 7')

Yesterday I went to work fixing a drain in my barn. I dug up the pipe, repaired it, dug a new gravel drain pit, and then filled it back in. It took me only about 5 hrs for everything.

Thanks guys! I may follow up with the seller to see if he is ready to negotiate. It’s been posted for a couple weeks now, and it is a far drive.

Can this be safely transported upright without the tractor?

Toby

As long as you strap it down good, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Strapped down well and properly it will transport fine that way-imagine a motorcycle-strap it to hold upright and down the the bed.

Also, as was mentioned above. BE SURE TO GET ALL THE MOUNTING ACCESSORIES, subframe, transmission case plates, etc. Missing these and having to purchase them piece by piece later can easily take a good deal and ruin it by adding $thousands$

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
If you decide to purchase it keep in mind you're also going to have to load it. You may want to take your tractor along with forks, chains, cribbing and tie down straps because these backhoes are damn awkward and heavy. It will also take up some considerable room on a trailer, especially if you're hauling it along with your tractor.

I've picked up a couple of backhoe attachments over the years. Even the smaller ones are heavy and clumsy to handle.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have the 375A backhoe.

It is my first backhoe.

He told me not to re-position the tractor using the hoe.

This. Your frame is specifically not strong enough to handle that sort of abuse. I personally own a 46 backhoe for my 2520, but I realize any sort of "real" work on the commercial side will require rentals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts