Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was aerating last friday and went to adjust the rate of drop and the knob is stuck. It wont turn in either direction. I looked from the back of the tractor where the knob connects to the shaft and the only thing I can see is a small bolt that screws into the side of the shaft, does that need to be loosened some or is it there to apply pressure so the knob and shaft that runs inside of it dont fall out?

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier 3062r
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Land Pride 1554 Box Blade
Land Pride QH05 quick hitch
Titan 60” spike aerator
Victory EF 155 flail mower
48” sand filled lawn roller

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,807 Posts
I'm not sure of the problem but I do know the knob can be really hard to turn under pressure.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Do you use the knob often or has it been a while since you tried to turn it? It is one of those controls that has a tendency to get hard to turn if not used frequently (or if not kept lubricated). Try spraying some penetrating oil down into the area where the shaft enters the rockshaft housing. After soaking try gently turning it back and forth. You do NOT want to break it off in the case.

I have never found the knob to be hard to turn under pressure. I constantly adjust it with my 800 lb. ballast box attached and it turns just as easy as when there is nothing on the 3PH.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,807 Posts
I have never found the knob to be hard to turn under pressure. I constantly adjust it with my 800 lb. ballast box attached and it turns just as easy as when there is nothing on the 3PH.
Interesting. I don't ever remember having an issue with mine under pressure but the other day I went to make an adjustment and the knob was really hard to turn, I dropped the hitch and the adjustment was very easy.
I have not had to make an adjustment for like three years so maybe lack of use could have played a part in it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you use the knob often or has it been a while since you tried to turn it? It is one of those controls that has a tendency to get hard to turn if not used frequently (or if not kept lubricated). Try spraying some penetrating oil down into the area where the shaft enters the rockshaft housing. After soaking try gently turning it back and forth. You do NOT want to break it off in the case.

Ive only had the tractor a month and tried to adjust it the first time last friday. I tried to turn it with the lift in the up position and in the down position with the same results. Was hoping it would be something simple but if not, the dealer will have to be involved.

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier 3062r
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Titan 60” spike aerator

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the breakdown Giz, looks like that bolt is supposed to be tight since it has a nut on the back. I wont mess with it.

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier 3062r
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Titan 60” spike aerator

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
When I adjusted my hydraulic pressure the other day I had to remove the panel trim under the rate of drop knob and it seemed like it was froze up. I had to lube it and work it back and forth and finally it freed up. I hadn't touched it since I purchased the tractor in 2017. I have to remind myself to hit that with some lubricant when greasing the loader.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With my 2305 and my 2025, if the knob was fully closed position and I started the tractor, there was no way in hell I could turn it. I would have to shut the tractor off, work the SCV and leave it in "float", and after a while, I could turn it. If I know I'm going to use the control, I will crack it open about a 1/4 turn before starting the tractor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts