Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made one of these for my tractor. Works well, but it's hard to align when backing up and I need to remove the ballast box to use it.

41AhfsGzOBL.jpg

So I bought one of these instead so I can move trailers with the FEL and face forward:

93d07e5b-ed5c-43e8-b472-230686818e35_1.a1b6ffd337330168e28ac880a442c285.jpeg

Here's the question. How the heck are you supposed to see what you're doing? What I've been doing is angling it so that the ball sticks out past the edge of the bucket and I can see it. Otherwise it's just a guess. The whole idea is to NOT get off the tractor to pick up and move a trailer!

Al

·
Administrator
18,512 Posts
The whole idea is to NOT get off the tractor to pick up and move a trailer!

Al
My solution won't completely help with that, but it's to get an Imatch (or similar) quick hitch so you can easily drop the ballast box from the seat and get off to effortlessly hang the trailer mover on it.

We also sell a receiver that mounts on top of the bucket to help move smaller trailers.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
You need to get yourself a quick hitch and you can easily change from ballast box to trailer mover.
:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: PJR832 and pcabe5

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
My solution won't completely help with that, but it's to get an Imatch (or similar) quick hitch so you can easily drop the ballast box from the seat and get off to effortlessly hang the trailer mover on it.

We also sell a receiver that mounts on top of the bucket to help move smaller trailers.
Or...

Ballast Box2.jpg

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose I should point out that this is an old 650 and the quick attachments on the new tractors aren't really an option. Top of the bucket won't work with at least one of the trailers since the ball won't fit under the tongue without a really long drawbar holding it.

I could rework the ballast box, but I wanted to face forward. I had thought, without really thinking of course, that the Titan thing was a dead nuts simple solution. I figured I was missing the point, but maybe not?

Al

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If you are going to use what you have in the picture then you will not have that good of visibility with it hooked up to the bucket. That's just a fact of life you will have to deal with if you use it. You will probably see better if it was on a set of forks but depending how much tongue weight you have on the trailer it might not do the forks any favors.

Like others have said, get an Imatch hitch. Makes very easy to remove the ballast box. You should also get a Heavy Hitch to mount to the Imatch. It is ideal for serving as receiver for a trailer hitch etc. You can also mount weights on it for ballast although the suitcase weights are not a cheap solution to ballast, I know I have them. This particular solution is not a cheap solution but works well if you have the money to commit to it. The hot rod concept of "Speed costs money, how fast you want to go" applies with tractors in how well you want it and/or your attachments to work.

You just have to realize that using implements and attachments is really a series of compromises. You will find that many attachments and implements do the same task (ie box blade vs rear blade vs land plane) but it's up to you to decide what works best for you, is within your budget, or if you are willing to deal with some flaws (like can't see what I am hooking up) etc. The trick is to figure out what works best before you spend your hard earned money on something. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mount the hitch right close to the end of the bucket. Tip the bucket back just enough to see the ball and coupler. I have a receiver welded into the top center of the bucket per the combined wisdom of the internet but the hood still gets in the way. I welded up a receiver that attaches on one end of the SSQA so I can see it on the side of the hood.

·
Administrator
18,512 Posts
You could always rig a cheap back-up cam to the bucket:

00f2620a-a556-43af-8b03-e7e70d7c5fdf_1.b19d53bf9a87ca0b5df0ce76ba127ffd.jpeg

·
Registered
3,929 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Keep in mind the weight of the trailer on the tongue as well as total weight is of concern. The distance from the tractor axle to the ball should not exceed the point as the trailer weighted on the ball will off set the tractor at the opposite end and become "light", possibly lifting if not offset with weight. So take precautions if trailer moving which ever end of the tractor you use.

A bigger heavier tractor this situation will be of lesser concern. A line of sight if the trailer is a "box" since the sub compact tractor is narrow may require another person as a director and guide. Avoid the "oh s#*t".

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
How about something like these?
This is exactly what I was thinking when he showed the hitch for the bucket... he still needs to see where the ball is compared to the trailer hitch but this will get him a heck of a lot closer for sure.. Just keep the bucket lower than the hitch and it should work... in theory anyway! And this is the less expensive trial too.. Good luck

·
Registered
370 Posts
Slightly different tac - set up a convex mirror on a magnet mount that can sit on the top of the bucket ...

(might try that myself:laugh:)

Nick

·
Registered
929 Posts
Slightly different tac - set up a convex mirror on a magnet mount that can sit on the top of the bucket ...

(might try that myself:laugh:)

Nick
Would be easier to see if you put it on the trailer I would think?

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Useful with the truck

Would be easier to see if you put it on the trailer I would think?
Heck, that would be useful when backing the truck under the hitch as well. I usually end up getting in and out of the truck at least a couple of times when backing up to the trailer. It's no problem getting the alignment right but the last few inches of distance are hard to judge.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
45 Posts
You just need an 18" or up to a 36" extension piece of box steel tubing for your hitch. Then just tilt your bucket up enough so you can see the ball. Maneuverability is so much better when trailer is hooked onto front of tractor. A back hitch is nice, but when moving trailers around the yard, nothing beats a front mount.

20PM65_AS01.jpeg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts