Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? It seems like it would be a good idea. But given the limited height of the 3PH of the 700 series (x739 in my case) and the weight of the blower, I'm not sure it's wise. I'm trying to pick up some kind of snow removal tool for it but don't want to spend $4,000 doing so. The 3-point route is appealing since it would travel to other tractors in the future as well.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Do you already have the $800 3ph and $1000 rear PTO kit installed on your tractor?

I wouldn't think lift height is that big of an issue so long as you can lift it enough to drive. The quick hitch blower only lifts about 8 inches on an x7.

As for going to other tractors a 3ph model is more universal to other brands of tractors. If you are staying with JD the 47" and 54" quick hitch blower is the same attachment for the x7, 1 series, and 2 series tractors.

If you are thinking 3 series or bigger the 3ph blower that fits an x7 is going to start looking really small behind the bigger tractor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t have the hitch and PTO in place currently. But I’m a lot more likely to use those for other attachments over the front hitch. So I can more easily justify the cost.

I think I’m just wondering if I’m missing something. I haven’t been able to find anyone who’s talked about doing it at all. Which makes me think there’s some fundamental problem with going that route. Or maybe it’s simply more expensive than the front end version so no one does it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've run a rear 3ph blower on a farm tractor (but not on a garden tractor).
I think a front blower MUCH would be much easier to operate.

Watching / operating a blower requires much more turning to look behind that the other pull behind farm implements.
Backing up and operating the 3ph implement is much more different that driving forward and doing the same. Probably because the blower needs to be watched as much as it does and the extra management of the steering that is required when in reverse.

I have pushed snow with front blade on garden tractor and rear blade of a larger tractor. The same argument applies to the blades.

·
Administrator
22,629 Posts
The 3PH for that machine is CAT0 correct? I don't now for you get a rear blower that will fit.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
While it would probably work fine, I really think the smaller tractor s are far better off with the front mount blowers.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The 3PH for that machine is CAT0 correct? I don't now for you get a rear blower that will fit.
The newer X7 is CAT1 with limited lift height. The older x4/X5 and early x7 are CAT0 or 1.

Reactions: tj1 and Kennyd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watching / operating a blower requires much more turning to look behind that the other pull behind farm implements.
Backing up and operating the 3ph implement is much more different that driving forward and doing the same. Probably because the blower needs to be watched as much as it does and the extra management of the steering that is required when in reverse.
This is a very valid point. I grew up a 4,000 acre farm and had many different 3-point implements and drawbar versions of the same. Anything that required full-time reverse was a fun challenge. I remember that a steering wheel ball was a must. But this is likely something I'm willing to deal with.

I have pushed snow with front blade on garden tractor and rear blade of a larger tractor.
This might need a different topic, but I'm considering this option as well. I have a walk behind blower that I used at our old place. I just haven't sold it yet. I've seriously considered the front plow for the x739 and then hold on to the blower for when I need to move snow piles further back. It's appealing since we basically have a parking lot and not just a driveway. I'm concerned the blower won't be able to throw it far enough if the wind is wrong (which it always seems to be).

While it would probably work fine, I really think the smaller tractor s are far better off with the front mount blowers.
Can I ask? What makes you say this? Just ease of use? I can't help but consider the cost and future proofing aspects. But those may be unfounded because of this:

As for going to other tractors a 3ph model is more universal to other brands of tractors. If you are staying with JD the 47" and 54" quick hitch blower is the same attachment for the x7, 1 series, and 2 series tractors.
Good call. If I upgrade, it's very likely to a 1 series. So it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
"Can I ask? What makes you say this? Just ease of use? I can't help but consider the cost and future proofing aspects. But those may be unfounded because of this:"

The x7 while yes you can put a 3PH hitch on it, is not the world's best 3ph tractor by a long shot. There are no from the seat adjustments to the 3ph other than up and down. The top link and depth stop are both out of the seat and off the tractor adjustments.

I have spent a lot of time using the box blade on my x738. Pretty sure leaning backwards on the seat is what cause my seat suspension frame to break. Having used my front mount 47" blower last year there is no way I would consider using a rear blower on my machine. It just wouldn't be comfortable or easy to use.

The quick hitch blowers have their shortcomings and are really expensive to get into but they really do move a lot of snow in a hurry.

A lot of people swear by the plow on the x7 for clearing snow. I've seen a number of videos of them moving a lot of snow. The all wheel drive on you x739 really helps plowing performance for such a small machine.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,646 Posts
I can see a number of reasons why I wouldn't want to have a 3ph blower on an x7xx machine, including, but not limited to

1. The cost to upgrade the 3ph and add the PTO. If one has to pay to have these done to an existing machine, you are talking $2k.......BM23588 PTO kit is $999.38. Rear 3ph is $600, the labor to install is 5 hours or more, bringing the total to $2k. At that point, you really need to ask is it worth putting the money into the rear set up or just trade up to a 1 series?

2. The blower would be awful close to the operator due to the machine design. Wearing snow from a front mounted blower is unpleasant enough. Sure don't need to reduce the distance between the operator and blower to 1/3rd of a front mounted blower.

3. Visibility with the blowing snow with the blower right behind you is going to be a challenge for sure.

4. The weight of the snow blower is going to be right at 95% or more of the 3ph capacity. Its always a poor idea to start at the machines capacity as you have no margin for "error".

5. Personally, I dislike the idea of a 3ph blower on ANY machine, and especially on an x7xx series machine. I don't like to work with my neck swiveled like that and without a cab, a back up monitor is out of the question.

6. The 3ph snow blowers are usually 50" wide or more, a 50" Nor Trac model, which is not a real heavy duty blower weighs 485 pounds and costs $2,200 plus tax.

7. How are you going to adjust the rear discharge chute? Add a pair of rear hydraulics on an x7xx machine? It can be done, but not without a lot of "customization" using hydraulic components. The cost would be high. How about a manual crank? Not sitting that close to the blower, without spinning on the seat.

How do you control the rear chute rotation? I suppose you could route some hoses to the 4 ports where the front attachments connect and then use the levers next to the steering wheel to control the chute rotation. Again, custom modifications to make the rear blower work.........

8. Yes, the front hitch and implements are expensive, but they hold their value very well. I have personally sold the front implements and hitch assemblies for 85% of new, even when several years old. Now, what's a rear 3ph snow blower small enough to fit the x7xx going to be worth after the time and money to make it a rear blower on your machine? Much smaller market for rear 3ph snowblowers for garden tractors than there is for front mounted ones............

9. If you spend the money for the front Quick Tach hitch to run the blade or blower, you can also custom mount things like leaf wheel blowers, etc. to use on the hitch, which are very handy. I have used leaf blowers both out front and on the 3ph and I will take out front all day long..........Using wheel blowers for leafs is like herding cats and herding cats behind your back is even less fun..........It's very handy to be able to mount other tools and implements to the front Quick Tach hitch and be able to lift them and angle them during their use. You can't use the angle feature on the rear 3ph.

10. What are the other uses for the rear 3ph and PTO you foresee on your machine? When it comes down to it, if you are going to use the 3ph and rear PTO, the 1 series is a much better value than the x7xx. Plus, you can get a FEL on the 1 series and can't on the x7xx. The FEL is probably the most valuable implement on a SCUT.......and they can't be added to the x7xx. You can get a "Jimmy Bucket" or something like that, but that's a real stretch to compare to a FEL on a 1 series.

There are 10 reasons which come to mind on why the 3ph blower on an x7xx is not something I would spend money on...........I bet if I thought about it, I could think of several more reasons why not to do this.............but hey, if its what you want to do, go for it.

We have people who do "unique things" here on GTT all of the time which others insist ;
-won't work
  • are a poor use of money
  • or are just not a good idea.

We even have one guy who plows with a snow plow blade that is 87" wide on a 2wd garden tractor and now a 1 series, and many many people advised against it and were sure it wouldn't work and the machine couldn't and would never handle it. But it has handled it just fine and works well for my needs. Its not something I would recommend for most others, but for me, its ideal.

So if YOU want a rear 3ph snow blower on a x7xx machine and feel its best for your needs, go for it, just plan to deal with the challenges and costs identified in this thread................Some times, you just need to go against the grain............just do so with your eyes open.

If you do put a 3ph snowblower on an x7xx machine, make sure to create a thread and post about it, so everyone can learn from it.............Happy Holidays.......

Reactions: tj1 and Pigpen

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not directly answering OP's question, but where I live here near Syracuse, NY, we have what I call "The Snowblowing Cowboys". Basically, rather large 4wd Kubotas w/ cabs and rear snowblowers. However, these blowers pull the snow into them rather than push away. This way, they can get closer to garages and all. They fly around like crazy, pull snow down driveway, then blow it onto the lawn or middle if Cul-De-Sac. Is kinda neat watching how it works, but here again, your turned around in your seat watching things and they haul azz. Don't know the exact size of the Boats, but would say at least 50-80 HP. Heard some one say around 100K for each tractor/set up and the outfits by me have around 10-20 each.

·
Registered
2017 X580 48A deck & 44 snowblower
95 Posts
Funny enough by coincidence I just happen to see this X738 with rear blower advertised on a local buy/sell site. I have no idea if it would work well or not but it at least shows it could be done. Kinda looks like an awkward rig in my opinion if I’m buying that nice of a tractor I’m going all the way for the proper blower out front!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
The newer X7 is CAT1 with limited lift height. The older x4/X5 and early x7 are CAT0 or 1.

X465

X475

X485

X495

X575

X585

X595

X700 through X758 Ultimate and Signature series a Cat 0 or a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch were and are still available from John Deere.

My 2003 X485 had a Limited Cat 1 & 540RPM PTO I Bought New with the Tractor & My X748 Has an OEM Limited Cat 1 3 point Hitch & a 540RPM PTO

You Can still buy a Cat 0 even for the Signature series to this day. But I really don't see the Point The Major Cat 0 implements Manufacturers stopped Making Cat 0 in 2005 Though there are some Cat 0 Makers Like Impact Implements that Make Cat 0 implements.

I recently converted an aftermarket Xtreme motor works Cub Cadet Cat 0 to a Limited Cat 1 thanks to Bill Ruegg for My Cub Cadet 2182 Super Garden tractor Because I don't see the point of Cat 0 anymore either.

I am just still surprised Deere offers the Cat 0 for the Signature series, But Deere still does.

joebuhlig Your Signature series will support a 3point Blower as Long as it doesn't weight more than 450Lbs and only requires 18 PTO Horsepower to run it. The 3point will lift more weight than 450Lbs, which is the spec weight for the Limited Cat 1 on the Signature Series

Rectangle Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number

(y)

Reactions: fordgt40

·
Registered
135 Posts
2nd Sarge's comments. Limited Cat 1 3pt hitches are available from JD and Ruegg Mfg. Also, CTC makes a loader for the X7 series GTs.

I have some limited tasks that I do in reverse on my X585 and twisting around in the seat to see is a royal pain. Just backing up with my 47 blower is challenging if I need to be careful near structures, etc., as I typically wear a hood over my head and the hoods have a nasty habit of cutting off my peripheral vision.

No, I wouldn't do a 3pt blower.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, team! Tons of solid gold here. The general consensus seems to be that it can technically be done, but there are vast reasons it would be a pain. That's likely why I haven't seen anyone talking about it. Actually, @Jaybert has the only pictures I've seen of it being done. That's pretty telling in itself.

I ended up putting a 54" plow on it. Had to do something late last week as we had 6-7" of snow coming. And I can say that even without any weights on the x739, it did wonders at moving a lot of snow and fast. I didn't consider the "fun-ness" of running a plow vs a blower, but that's an aspect to not overlook. I don't know how it would do with a wet 4" snow but if all else fails, I put a suitcase on the rear and see how it does.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Sulley right on and all very valid points indeed. and yes, push that snow back or you're screwed later on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.