Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1023e with weight bracket and 8 john deere suitcase weights. I know there is an adjustment under the seat and I turned it all the way to the right until the 3pt hitch won't go down at all then just cracked it open and it still lowers extremely fast if not feathering the lever. Is this adjustment only for the up travel? I have the mower deck on and sometimes it's just habit to grab the lever to hard and down come the weights in a hurry.

·
Administrator
20,727 Posts
That ROD (Rate Of Drop) knob should only effect the down speed, not up. If it has no effect, it'll need repair. Are you still under warranty?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
No it's not under warranty. I bought it used. How slow should turning it all the way to the right make it go down?
In all the way and on the 2320 it will just about stop it. I know it may not be the same for your tractor but I would think it would be close.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Lock 3-Point Hitch: Rotate drop/lock rate valve knob clockwise until tight.

See "Using 3-Point Hitch"
OMLVU25250_A2

·
Registered
892 Posts
If mines cranked shut the 3point will not even lift. It should basically stop down travel.
I can have 1k pounds out back and drop it so slowly that you barely see it move.

Jim

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 1023e with weight bracket and 8 john deere suitcase weights. I know there is an adjustment under the seat and I turned it all the way to the right until the 3pt hitch won't go down at all then just cracked it open and it still lowers extremely fast if not feathering the lever. Is this adjustment only for the up travel? I have the mower deck on and sometimes it's just habit to grab the lever to hard and down come the weights in a hurry.
If this is a problem, then I think I might have the same issue with my 1026r. Turning the knob until it stops will lock up my rotary cutter, but if I crack it back it starts to drop fast, 1/8th turn back and it's crashing down (which is open enough to allow just the weight of the trailer hitch to bring it down). I thought this was normal, but you guys are saying there should be more rotation to the knob for fine tuning the rate of drop? :unknown:

Mr. Moose

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
I wish I knew the answer to the 1026/1025 issue but don't. Our 2320 has what I would call infinite rate of drop settings and of course the setting is dependent on weight.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
If this is a problem, then I think I might have the same issue with my 1026r. Turning the knob until it stops will lock up my rotary cutter, but if I crack it back it starts to drop fast, 1/8th turn back and it's crashing down (which is open enough to allow just the weight of the trailer hitch to bring it down). I thought this was normal, but you guys are saying there should be more rotation to the knob for fine tuning the rate of drop? :unknown:

Mr. Moose
It is very dependent on the weight of the implement. On my 2720, from turned in tight it only takes about 1/4 turn to allow the 3PH arms to go down under their own weight and I barely need to crack it open to allow the 700 lb. ballast box to gently return to Earth.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Granted I have a 3 series but I have to turn at least 3 full turns to get the empty links to drop and probably 3/4 turn for 900 lbs of ballast to start going down slowly.

It sounds to me like something is stuck or broke on the 1 series above.

Jim

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
Using Rate of Drop/Lock Valve

The rate of drop/lock valve controls the rate of rockshaft drop when the rockshaft control lever is operated. This provides direct rate of drop control for 3-point hitch mounted implements. The valve can also be used to hydraulically lock the rockshaft (three-point hitch) in a desired position.

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Excessive rate-of-drop may cause injury or damage. Fully lowering implement should take at least 2 seconds.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! To prevent overheating hydraulic oil and damaging machine, do not raise rockshaft when drop/lock valve is closed.

MX46290
Picture Note: 1023E Shown

MX46359
Picture Note: 1026R Shown
Increase Rate of Drop: Rotate drop/lock valve knob (A) counter-clockwise to make drop faster.
Decrease Rate of Drop: Rotate drop/lock rate valve knob (A) clockwise to make drop slower.

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Do not use the rockshaft drop/lock valve for holding an attachment in raised position for service work. Loss of hydraulic pressure could result in sudden drop of attachment. Lower attachment onto blocks or remove from machine before servicing.

Unlock 3-Point Hitch: Rotate drop/lock rate knob counter-clockwise.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I wish...

I wish the rod valve would also effect the rate of ascent. When you're dragging stone or other materials with a box blade or landscape rake, I find it hard to slowly "feather" the the implement upwards so I don't leave a pile at the end of a run. I usually end up back-dragging with the loader to smooth out the pile. Any tips, anyone?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wish the rod valve would also effect the rate of ascent. When you're dragging stone or other materials with a box blade or landscape rake, I find it hard to slowly "feather" the the implement upwards so I don't leave a pile at the end of a run. I usually end up back-dragging with the loader to smooth out the pile. Any tips, anyone?
Practice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Using Rate of Drop/Lock Valve

The rate of drop/lock valve controls the rate of rockshaft drop when the rockshaft control lever is operated. This provides direct rate of drop control for 3-point hitch mounted implements. The valve can also be used to hydraulically lock the rockshaft (three-point hitch) in a desired position.

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Excessive rate-of-drop may cause injury or damage. Fully lowering implement should take at least 2 seconds.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! To prevent overheating hydraulic oil and damaging machine, do not raise rockshaft when drop/lock valve is closed.

MX46290
Picture Note: 1023E Shown

MX46359
Picture Note: 1026R Shown
Increase Rate of Drop: Rotate drop/lock valve knob (A) counter-clockwise to make drop faster.
Decrease Rate of Drop: Rotate drop/lock rate valve knob (A) clockwise to make drop slower.

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Do not use the rockshaft drop/lock valve for holding an attachment in raised position for service work. Loss of hydraulic pressure could result in sudden drop of attachment. Lower attachment onto blocks or remove from machine before servicing.

Unlock 3-Point Hitch: Rotate drop/lock rate knob counter-clockwise.
Thank you so much for that info! I had forgotten how to use a rotating knob.:mocking:

Seriously though, the issue at hand is whether or not a fraction of a turn should or should not be enough to drop the 3-pt with no load. Is there a parts break down that shows this assembly? Maybe an adjustment is needed?

Mr. Moose

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
I will agree with you here. My old Ford 9N had a much more dampened rockshaft control level. I could move the lever and the 3PH would lift a split second later. With my 2720 the reaction of the 3PH arms is instant and immediate to any upward movement of the rockshaft control lever. Even with heavy loads like a ballast box it can be a bit jerky. I much prefer more of a gentle buffered lift.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Seriously though, the issue at hand is whether or not a fraction of a turn should or should not be enough to drop the 3-pt with no load. Is there a parts break down that shows this assembly? Maybe an adjustment is needed?

Mr. Moose
It sounds like different tractors require a different amount of knob turning. I would say that even if it just requires a 1/4 turn or less to gently drop a heavy load that you are probably okay. But if the amount of turning needed is so minute that it is difficult or impossible to gently drop the load then perhaps an adjustment or service is required.

·
Administrator
20,727 Posts
Here is the hydraulic diagram for a 1026R. It's the same as the 1025R. The 1023E has a different rockshaft valve, but the ROD valve is the same.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399314360.760706.jpg

Notice there is a spring loaded check valve in parallel to the ROD that allows flow to lift the rockshaft regardless of how the ROD valve is adjusted.

·
Registered
342 Posts
So, the ROD valve is just a basic bleed valve and if we want more turn to the knob we would have to switch to heavier weight fluid?

Mr. Moose

·
Administrator
20,727 Posts
So, the ROD valve is just a basic bleed valve and if we want more turn to the knob we would have to switch to heavier weight fluid?

Mr. Moose
You can change to the regular Hygard fluid instead of the low-vis Hygard, but you won't notice any difference in the ROD valve. There are no other fluids that are approved for the transmission.

If your ROD has little to no effect or lack of adjustment, you need to get your dealer involved, especialy if you're under warranty.

·
Administrator
20,727 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts