Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally in the market for a BB for my 1026r. I have a concern on the lifting height of standard cat1 BB vs a limited cat1 BB. Ive read that some guys are barely able to get the implement 4" off the ground with the standard. Is this JD's way of making sure they sell they're Frontier Limited series...are the standards cat1's ok for the 1 series tractors when it comes to lifting and driving. Ill be using it as a ballast box to so this is serious inquiry on my part.

Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had an off name 4' box blade that was designed for cat 0 or cat 1. It raised plenty high for me. I hung suit case weights on a couple of cross bars inside it, worked good for balast but the box got in the way in some tight areas. The land scape rake I have is for standard cat 1. It didn't raise very high and would catch the ground when going uphill or even trying to put it on a trailer. I recomend going with limited cat. 1 implements unless you are using and transporting across perfectly flat land with no hills or ditches.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
One option is to crank the third link up tight and angle the 3 point implement up to give you a little more clearence. It's not ideal when using the implement, but will give you some extra inches.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm torn, rural king has they're king kutter stuff on sale right now, 60" KK for $476+tax or local JD has BB5060L for $749+tax. Save a few hundred and deal with the height issue or spend the extra and get the right implement.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm torn, rural king has they're king kutter stuff on sale right now, 60" KK for $476+tax or local JD has BB5060L for $749+tax. Save a few hundred and deal with the height issue or spend the extra and get the right implement.
Based on the points mentioned above as to what you are going to be using it for and where, another consideration is how often will it be used?
I ask myself that question all the time when trying to decide on buying the better or the cheaper tool etc...if I will you use it often, I always buy the better option that will do the job best!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Finally in the market for a BB for my 1026r. I have a concern on the lifting height of standard cat1 BB vs a limited cat1 BB. Ive read that some guys are barely able to get the implement 4" off the ground with the standard. Is this JD's way of making sure they sell they're Frontier Limited series...are the standards cat1's ok for the 1 series tractors when it comes to lifting and driving. Ill be using it as a ballast box to so this is serious inquiry on my part.

Thanks
Read this sticky: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/7116-limited-category-1-three-point-hitch-vs-category-1-three-point-hitch.html

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My 3pt lifts the 54" ETA BB so that it is 12" off the ground. The ends of the lift arms at full height are 23" off the ground.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would see if the manager would let me bring my tractor and hook it up before I bought it. It might be just fine, and if not, don't buy it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Easier just to bring a tape measure. First measure how high your lower arms will lift at the ball ends, for mine it is about 23". Then measure the box blade's lower link attachment point. The difference between the two measurements is how high it will lift. Actually due to the geometry it should lift just a bit more, but then hanging hundreds of pounds off the back has a tendency to change things so in the end I think it's a wash.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Are these height problems only related to the 1026r tractor? I am not familiar with the tractor, but it makes me want to think twice before ever buying some of these new tractors which appear to be more & more hobby or farmer wannabe tractors. Kind of like what has happened to the standard pick up truck which is now useless as a work truck, unless you need something to stuff the two kids into the back seat & the box of corn flakes in the bed & think this is Macho tuff stuff use. :laugh:Just my own opinion.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
There are 2 ways install the lower lift arms. They are drilled for 2 different positions. One position gives more height and the other more lift capacity w/less height by swapping the arms end for end.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Are these height problems only related to the 1026r tractor? I am not familiar with the tractor, but it makes me want to think twice before ever buying some of these new tractors which appear to be more & more hobby or farmer wannabe tractors.
Farmer wannabes? Do those people really exist? I grew up on a farm in Nebraska just so you know.

I don't know if these height problems are really an issue or not. I used a regular cat 1 Box blade on my 1025r and it worked no problem. Did it lift it as high as a "real" tractor? I'm sure it didn't. I got rid of it only because it was not quick hitch compatible.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The 1-Series is only so tall. The 3-point has only so much motion. It's not really that the tractor isn't able to do it, but more that it's only so tall. My 3-point goes pretty low to the ground, but that only does you any good if the implement's working height is 6 inches off the ground or less. My tiller only lifts about 4 inches off the ground because the pins are pretty high up on the frame. So when it's on it's stands the tiller really only uses 4-5 inches of the 1-Series's total 3-point travel. So it's not that the tractor has a fake 3-point, it's just not optimized for larger implements. If the 1-Series was a foot taller in the back the 3-point would be just like any other category 1 compact tractor 3-point. It's however not a Compact tractor, it's a Sub-Compact Tractor and that's why it has a limited category 1 3-point. I think the Sub-Compact market is still pretty young and vendors haven't rolled out all that many products designed for their working height. King Kutter has a few, but with the booming sales of the 1-Series I see many more coming to cash in on this new market.

And for the record my folks say I bought my 1-Series because I wanted to play farmer in the city. :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Easier just to bring a tape measure. First measure how high your lower arms will lift at the ball ends, for mine it is about 23". Then measure the box blade's lower link attachment point. The difference between the two measurements is how high it will lift. Actually due to the geometry it should lift just a bit more, but then hanging hundreds of pounds off the back has a tendency to change things so in the end I think it's a wash.
Mine measure close to 21" from the ground to the center of the ball ends. Ill stop by TSC tomorrow at lunch and do some measuring. They have a 48" sub-compact and a 60" standard one, curious if there is a height difference between them.

Thanks for the helpful info, much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
The standard box blade wasn't a problem on my 2305. It lifted high enough to cross uneven terrain or to load on the trailer without dragging.

The rear blade or landscape rake were another matter. I could only lift the rear blade enough to get it off of the ground.

The pins on a box blade are normally lower than the pins on a blade or rake, likely due to the frame being on top of the blade / rake.

My feeling is you are ok with the regular box blade.

But like someone suggested, hook it up and try it. The tape measure will give you an idea if it is worth loading the tractor though.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Farmer wannabes? Do those people really exist? I grew up on a farm in Nebraska just so you know.

I don't know if these height problems are really an issue or not. I used a regular cat 1 Box blade on my 1025r and it worked no problem. Did it lift it as high as a "real" tractor? I'm sure it didn't. I got rid of it only because it was not quick hitch compatible.
Well- I just had to ask it that way because as I said I don't know this tractor, but there sure are a lot of threads here on this model & a lot of people appearing to have operating or implement issues with it.
From what I read here, I get the idea that a lot of folks bought these tractors either not understanding their limitations to begin with, or they made a lot of incorrect assumptions about the basic tractor & what or how much it could reasonably do. Im not saying it's a bad tractor. I'm just asking out of curiosity why there are so many posts here that cary the tone of "owner Confusion & Disappointment". This is just my observation on it.
Keep pushing green:lol::greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I get the impression there are a lot of people buying 1-Series tractors and have only had lawn/garden tractors before. For me personally it's been the opposite as I've only ran the big stuff and have to adjust to the scaled down SCUT. Lots to learn from both sides. From the standpoint of a SCUT the 1 Series kicks @$$, but it's not a 2 or 3 Series for a number of reasons and size is probably number 1. There are lots of 4 & 5 foot implements out there, but many aren't set up for the lower lift height. Not really something you think about till you hook onto it. Plus a flat lot owner may never notice the lower lift height. Every machine lives in a different environment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts