Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the 3pt arms to leak down overnight? I don't have a rear implement on it, its just sitting in the garage. I noticed it a couple days ago.

Not sure if this a issue or something that is normal.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
No, it isn't normal. They should stay set exactly where you leave them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thing i got the extended warranty. What is generally the cause of this, bad seals in the rockshaft valve leaking off...or...?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Over time, and depending on the load both the three point hitch and the loader may leak down. It's considered acceptable within certain parameters. JD has published leakdown rates for the loaders that are considered 'in spec', but I haven't seen such for the three point.

It might be worth a call to the dealer just to have it checked out.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I put mine away with the oil very warm from mowing it will leak down.. If I just run the tractor for a few minutes, mine stays up all the way with my hitch on it.

I figured the viscosity of the hyguard thins out enough when it is hot that it leaks down faster and must leak down all the way before the oil cools, but cold it doesnt leak down hardly at all. Any opinons on if I should take it to get checked out? I was blaming the low vis hyguard lol.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Mine did not leak down no matter how much I used it. Then it got the crud in it and had to be replaced. My tractor can sit for a week between mowing and I know my hitch doesn't move when I start it up. Seems like it should at least be checked out. If you call your dealer they can tell you how much leak down is acceptable with JD.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
I would say the 3pt and the loader should not. However, the loader on most of the JD small tractor models will because IMO JD is using cheap parts.

·
Administrator
20,665 Posts
According to the TM, the rockshaft is allowed to leak down 2" in ten minutes with the engine off and warm oil.

1 series rockshaft leakdown test.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
That test is actually testing the function of the drop-rate valve though, no?

I mean, the whole idea there is to make sure the drop-rate valve actually opens and allows the arms to drop. That's why they have you fully open the valve in the test.

If the valve is closed then there shouldn't be any (or only very little) drop.

·
Administrator
20,665 Posts
That test is actually testing the function of the drop-rate valve though, no?

I mean, the whole idea there is to make sure the drop-rate valve actually opens and allows the arms to drop. That's why they have you fully open the valve in the test.

If the valve is closed then there shouldn't be any (or only very little) drop.
No, the test for the ROD valve is listed right after this test. Would you like me to post that as well?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Well not fer nuttin' but.... YES PLEASE! Thx! :lol:

·
Administrator
20,665 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Diesel, that's for the 1026r?

·
Administrator
20,665 Posts
Diesel, that's for the 1026r?
Yes. It should apply to both the 1026R and the 1023E. And unless they changed the specs and tests for the 1025R, they should all be the same.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great info. Thanks!

Is that from a service manual or other JD source? I want to get a service manual but I have been debating it's usefulness...

·
Administrator
20,665 Posts
Great info. Thanks!

Is that from a service manual or other JD source? I want to get a service manual but I have been debating it's usefulness...
It's from a John Deere tech/service manual. They are well worth the investment. :thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
It's from a John Deere tech/service manual. They are well worth the investment. :thumbup1gif:

No matter which machine, they are worth having on the shelf, (or computer, if need be)!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought you were supposed to lower everything to take the pressure off the hoses etc. ??

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk for Windows Phone

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is my first post. I have a 2012 1023e. Please clarify for me, if I raise the 3 pt up and tighten the speed control all the way in, is it or isn't it normal that the hitch arms are almost all the way down 4-5 days later??? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts