Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
20,172 Posts
Because , as I understand it the XB series is CAT0 and is rated for "limited" CAT1 hitches. I assume you have a 1-series???? Then you have a normal CAT1.

• Modified Category 1 subcompact attachment
  • Cat 1 pin — Cat 0 spacing
  • 6 tines per flange
  • Slip-clutch protected drive line with 1 3/8in. ends and 6 splines
  • Cast iron center gear box

Reactions: Roger47

·
Administrator
20,172 Posts
I suspect you’ll need the bushings with the XB tiller.
I don’t think the longer pins alone would make it wide enough for a quick hitch.

So, I suggest either HF or IMatch. HF has worked fine for me. I have both.

With either one, you’ll need Ken’s extended top hook. Use code ttwt for 5% off.
Also, notice what Tim wrote.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Because , as I understand it the XB series is CAT0 and is rated for "limited" CAT1 hitches. I assume you have a 1-series???? Then you have a normal CAT1.

• Modified Category 1 subcompact attachment
  • Cat 1 pin — Cat 0 spacing
  • 6 tines per flange
  • Slip-clutch protected drive line with 1 3/8in. ends and 6 splines
  • Cast iron center gear box

Hmm. All it says in the manual is "Step 1 Attach to tractor's category 1 three point hitch as described in the tractor's operation manual."

"The rotary tiller is designed for use only on tractors with the power take- off (PTO) turning at 540-RPM."

Says nothing in the manual about being only for "limited cat 1" hitches.

Not arguing with you, just what I have found in my research.

Yes, I have a 1025R.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also, notice what Tim wrote.
Yes, I figured I would need the bushings as well for a quick hitch. I watched his video of him fitting the HF QH to the XB. He had longer draw pins, the Cat1 to Cat3 bushings and replaced the bushing on the top bolt so the hook would be able to slide in.

·
Administrator
20,172 Posts
He had to have longer pins because of the CAT0 spacing on the tiller, you do NOT need/want that. Longer pins bend easier too...you will still need the bushings if you use a QH.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was looking into the specs as have been thinking of a 3-pt tiller. The old 31 tiller on the 214 is so long in the tooth that it's getting short in the tooth.

Here's what I found in some guy's review on the Rural King site. It looks rather hokey to me. Also below is where it is called a "Limited CAT. 1 Hitch" but it certainly looks more like CAT 0 spacing.

This was all from King Kutter 4 Foot Tiller TG 48 XB 0

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Yes, I figured I would need the bushings as well for a quick hitch. I watched his video of him fitting the HF QH to the XB. He had longer draw pins, the Cat1 to Cat3 bushings and replaced the bushing on the top bolt so the hook would be able to slide in.
Over time, the longer pins bend backward as the tiller tries to push the tractor forward.

Overall, I would recommend a true cat-1 tiller...but NOT the KK II 4’ model, as it is offset.

The most comparable model is the county line 4’ from tractor supply (made by Tarter).

Tim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Take a look at the RanchEx quick hitch, I think it’s what rural king sells, the top hook extends out farther than the harbor freight. That might save you from having to buy an extended top hook.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Over time, the longer pins bend backward as the tiller tries to push the tractor forward.
I figured this was the case with the longer moment arms. Have you broken a pin with your setup? Seems like you've done a lot of work with that setup. I don't think I have heard you really knock it.

I'm in a situation now we're I can order the XB, but cannot order the County Line stuff. The local TSC stores have told me "Whatever comes in the spring, comes in."

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,213 Posts
cannot order the County Line stuff. The local TSC stores have told me "Whatever comes in the spring, comes in."
Can't you order online for delivery to the local store?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Idk where your location is but maybe try Orschelns if they’re close by you. They show a 4’ and 5’ model on their website. First time I visited their site they had a 15% off code for Signing up for email.
The 4’ days its a Cat 1.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I just threw one in my cart. Shipped to my house was only $138. Might be worth checking into if you can’t find one locally.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I figured this was the case with the longer moment arms. Have you broken a pin with your setup? Seems like you've done a lot of work with that setup. I don't think I have heard you really knock it.

I'm in a situation now we're I can order the XB, but cannot order the County Line stuff. The local TSC stores have told me "Whatever comes in the spring, comes in."
Yes, I have broken one pin.

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used my neighbors XB tiller several times. I can also confirm the extended pins bend. We also had a hard time keeping the nuts tight. The tiller itself wasn’t bad, but the lower pins are a pain. For the life of me I can’t understand why King Kutter wouldn’t just change the pin width. This isn’t rocket science. Makes you wonder how much they really know about tractors.

I just bought a Frontier RT3049. I realize these are rebranded Maschios, but they appear really well built. It meets all of the TTWT requirements (thanks for that btw). I feel like I got a good deal, but it is more than the KK and Country Line. I just felt much better buying from someone who knew tractors and tillers and would back it up if I had an issue.

·
Administrator
20,172 Posts
I used my neighbors XB tiller several times. I can also confirm the extended pins bend. We also had a hard time keeping the nuts tight. The tiller itself wasn’t bad, but the lower pins are a pain. For the life of me I can’t understand why King Kutter wouldn’t just change the pin width. This isn’t rocket science. Makes you wonder how much they really know about tractors.

I just bought a Frontier RT3049. I realize these are rebranded Maschios, but they appear really well built. It meets all of the TTWT requirements (thanks for that btw). I feel like I got a good deal, but it is more than the KK and Country Line. I just felt much better buying from someone who knew tractors and tillers and would back it up if I had an issue.
The EARLY Kubota sub-compact tractor tractors had this CAT0 spacing, as well as some L&G tractors, that's why they made/make the XB line. As I wrote above, no one with a 1-series should be considering these.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

The specs on the JD site for the 3049 also show "limited Category 1". Is the spacing different than the XB?

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,213 Posts

·
Administrator
20,172 Posts
Limited lift on the tractor. The dimensions of everything should be to Cat 1 standards
Correct. "limited" lift only! No XB series stuff with CAT0 spacing is needed!

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA
21 - 40 of 58 Posts