Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3038E, AV20H Root Grapple, 370B Backhoe, BB50 Box Blade, RB20 Rear Blade, Woods BB72X Rotary Cutter
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there.
I keep the stabilizer chains tight on my 3038E 3pt in order to prevent the bars from rubbing my tires when backing my rotary cutter or mowing with it on a hillside. This spreads them out so far though that, upon receiving both of my Cat.1 drawbar and 3pt 2" receiver, they were too narrow to connect to the 3pt. If I loosen the stabilizer chains every time it would work but that would be a PIA. Do I just need to return these items and find wider ones? I've seen wider units out there for Cat.2 and 3 but figured the pins would be too large. Tired of shopping now and would rather just ask the community at this point. TIA

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello out there.
I keep the stabilizer chains tight on my 3038E 3pt in order to prevent the bars from rubbing my tires when backing my rotary cutter or mowing with it on a hillside. This spreads them out so far though that, upon receiving both of my Cat.1 drawbar and 3pt 2" receiver, they were too narrow to connect to the 3pt. If I loosen the stabilizer chains every time it would work but that would be a PIA. Do I just need to return these items and find wider ones? I've seen wider units out there for Cat.2 and 3 but figured the pins would be too large. Tired of shopping now and would rather just ask the community at this point. TIA
On my 3033R I don't have stabilizer chains, I have stabilizer bars. Each side has a series of holes and a pin. If I need to widen or narrow the width i simply pull the pins, adjust the width and reinsert the pin. Couldn't be easier.

They were on the tractor when I bought it so I can't say if they were factory or installed by the prior owner.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
How do the stabilizer chains being tight keep them from rubbing your tires if you don't have anything attached to them? Are the chains on the inside of the lift arms? If they are then just leave them adjusted to whatever you are putting on the 3 PH and if they don't rub on, they won't rub off.

·
Registered
3038E, AV20H Root Grapple, 370B Backhoe, BB50 Box Blade, RB20 Rear Blade, Woods BB72X Rotary Cutter
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rubbing occurs only with my Woods 72" mower mounted and even then, only when backing or on a hillside without tight chains. The chains are outboard of the lift arms. They keep the opposite side lift arm from rubbing when tightened.

·
Super Moderator
6,999 Posts
The situation you are running in to is just the nature of the beast. The 3pt system is designed to be flexible and adapt to the various quirks between different implements. The Quick Hitch mentioned by others above might be a solution worth looking at. Trying to use Cat 2 implements isn't going to work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my 3033R I don't have stabilizer chains, I have stabilizer bars. Each side has a series of holes and a pin. If I need to widen or narrow the width i simply pull the pins, adjust the width and reinsert the pin. Couldn't be easier.

They were on the tractor when I bought it so I can't say if they were factory or installed by the prior owner.
Looking into replacing mine with bars like yours. That's a good setup!

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massy 165
691 Posts
My 05 3720 also has the factory bar/pin type stabilizer bars instead of chains. They are quicker than adjusting chains all the time. But then again, I never kept my chains tight. I set mine up to fit my narrowest piece of equipment. The wider stuff would flop side to side a bit but never hit the tire. Right or wrong that's just how I did it. Now I have a quick hitch as above. However it doesn't work for all my equipment so sometimes I have to remove it. I'm slowly altering my older equipment to fit though.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yea, what you are experiencing I've been fighting for 45 years. That's the one thing that gets lost in the QH vs Pat's discussion many times. Once you have your implements compatable with a QH you never have to touch the sta bars/chains. Now getting all of your implements comapatable....that's another thing entirely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Do I have the option to widen my track?🤔
Looked it up and still not sure...o_O

·
Registered
3046R, 320R loader, 375A BH, 72D MMM, 4406H BB, County Line Landscape Rake, Fimco 40gal 3pt sprayer
133 Posts
Do I have the option to widen my track?🤔
Looked it up and still not sure...o_O
View attachment 800149
You can, but be forewarned that JD doesn't recommend it. There are various threads about installing spacers or, if you have the two positions, flipping the wheels. Not sure if flipping them will give you enough, but if the contact is light, it might be.

·
Registered
2020 4066R, 2021 Z530R, 2019 XUV 590M
91 Posts
Get rid of the chains and get the bars! You should also treat yourself to the extendable lift arms as well. Tractors are to make it easy on us, so make it easy on yourself!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.