Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does JD make a 3rd function loader valve for the 1-series machines or at least one that can be used with them? I know that Artillian offers a momentary switch style 3rd function diverter that works off the curl function, but curious what else there is in existence that has been used.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I should have posted this in the hydraulics section... my apologies. I did some further searches and found a few more pieces of information as well... Guess I didn't search well enough initially. If anyone has some wisdom to share in this thread, I'm all eyes. :)

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts
JD does not make anything for the 1 or 2 series, and the Artillian setup is the only complete "Kit" available. Everything else would be a custom installation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bought a snowplow off a guy last fall. It came with some hydraulic lines and a valve that come off a Power Beyond to provide a third set of hydraulic lines. Had it installed in the spring. It is a custom setup, but possible. The local JD dealer steered me away from the 3CV package that was offered for the 1 series. Said my setup was better in the long run.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, pretty much what I figured. Ghostrider - got any pics of the valve setup that you could share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks guys, pretty much what I figured. Ghostrider - got any pics of the valve setup that you could share?

I saw 3 valve setup on a thread just the other day. Came off the Power Beyond with sticks horizontal next to the seat. VERY slick. I think he was controlling a top-link with it, but had 2 extra connections.

I'll try to find the thread.

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
I saw 3 valve setup on a thread just the other day. Came off the Power Beyond with sticks horizontal next to the seat. VERY slick. I think he was controlling a top-link with it, but had 2 extra connections.

I'll try to find the thread.
I thought the OP was looking for a 3rd function loader valve. I would assume that means extra ports out front on the loader. What you saw above was rear hydro ports.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I thought the OP was looking for a 3rd function loader valve. I would assume that means extra ports out front on the loader. What you saw above was rear hydro ports.
Little extra hose gets you to the back. You could always route a connection next to the others at the loader connections. Power Beyond would get additional volume and the side stick location was very convenient.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, correct, 3rd function loader valve setups, not the rear PB setups. I'm sure the Artillian is the best and probably only option without a custom setup, but wanted to investigate as I know Bobcat has one for their little CT122 (when they were building tractors), but I don't believe it's a momentary setup, but an actual toggle switch on the loader SCV that operates on its own circuit, not a diverter - that is the type of setup I'm looking to determine if it's available for the 1 series.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little extra hose gets you to the back. You could always route a connection next to the others at the loader connections. Power Beyond would get additional volume and the side stick location was very convenient.
Thanks Fred. Certainly worth considering.

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts
I know Bobcat has one for their little CT122 (when they were building tractors)...
The Bobcat tractors where made by Kioti, just painted white. I do not recall that option on those machines, and this brochure only mentions a single rear as optional: CT122

Where did you get your info?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, yes, I remember hearing that they were a Bobcat badged Kioti, so now I know for sure! :)

I rented a CT122 from a Bobcat dealer (was a machine that was for sale - rented to see if I wanted to buy it at the time) and it had a switch on the SCV lever that I was told was for a 3rd loader function, but I couldn't verify that as I rented it for backhoe work. The handle on the SCV lever looked liked like something from a Bobcat skid steer, so it may have been a custom option that the dealer put on as a one off, but again, didn't dig too deep into that and couldn't actually verify what I was told by the kid at the counter was actually fact.

I also noticed that in one of the grapple videos that EA has on their site, it appears that TED has the same setup as I saw on the CT122 that I rented as there is a relatively clear shot of him operating the grapple and using what appears to be his thumb without moving the SCV lever.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
641 Posts
While a true 3rd function always sounds nice, people really need to think about what it is that they are trying to do and what the capabilities of their tractor are. It doesn't hurt to understand how things operate either.

A true 3rd function valve plumbed in after the loader valve only gets the fluid that does not get used by the loader valve. So if you think that you are going to use all 3 functions at the same time, either you need to be a VERY GOOD operator, or you better have a LOT of hydraulic fluid flowing.

Another thing that A LOT of people do not think about is that they think that they want to close, lift and curl a grapple all at the same time. Really,:unknown: a person wants to raise the loader have stuff falling out as they close and curl the grapple all at the same time??? I don't know about them, but I prefer to have my load clamped down before I even think about moving the other functions. But maybe that's just me?

My belief is that the majority of people that want true 3rd functions want the bragging rights, that they can do 3 functions at once. They don't even make real use of the true 3rd function, but they have it. :thumbup1gif:

Something else to consider even if a person is a VERY GOOD operator, is the GPM of the tractor. I find that even with my 75hp tractor that has a 17GPM implement pump, operating even 2 functions at a time things move slow. Now that may just be me because I'm use to my Case 580 TLB, but still, I can't even imagine operating 3 functions at a time on a tractor that has a low GPM capacity.:boring: Like, does a person take a nap :boredom:eek:r what as all 3 functions complete themselves??

Anyway, just my thoughts on true 3rd function systems, nothing wrong with them, just not warranted on most utility tractors in my opinion. :bye:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very good points/food for thought/information, thank you!

I was more or less inquiring about the true third function to see if there were any other options for the small machines in addition to the momentary switch diverter option. I like to research all possibilities to make informed decisions and certainly understand that the smaller machines don't have the hydraulic flow to really warrants a true third function setup. Was looking at the true 3rd from the perspective of operating two functions intermittently (quickly switching between the two almost simultaneously), such as curl and grapple open/close when trying to jostle material, but perhaps the momentary diverter switch setup will allow that to happen as best it can with the available hydraulic flow of the smaller machines?

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
641 Posts
Very good points/food for thought/information, thank you!

I was more or less inquiring about the true third function to see if there were any other options for the small machines in addition to the momentary switch diverter option. I like to research all possibilities to make informed decisions and certainly understand that the smaller machines don't have the hydraulic flow to really warrants a true third function setup. Was looking at the true 3rd from the perspective of operating two functions intermittently (quickly switching between the two almost simultaneously), such as curl and grapple open/close when trying to jostle material, but perhaps the momentary diverter switch setup will allow that to happen as best it can with the available hydraulic flow of the smaller machines?

My post was not aimed at you, but people in general that are wanting a 3rd function system.

As far as switching back and forth between curl and 3rd function, the valve will switch as fast as you can push the button. So you tell me if that is fast enough or not. I faintly remember reading some where that the actual time is about 3 thousandths of a second.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as switching back and forth between curl and 3rd function, the valve will switch as fast as you can push the button. So you tell me if that is fast enough or not. I faintly remember reading some where that the actual time is about 3 thousandths of a second.
Ah, well that will do it! Looks like there is really no need to look further at a true 3rd function as it sounds like the diverter setup is ideal. Thanks for helping with the education. I was thinking that the diverter was a slow switching mechanism and not something that was relatively quick. :fed:

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts
I've had a diverter setup on my tractor for many years, long before this forum and my business was started. There is a short learning curve, but it becomes natural very quickly. As Brian wrote, it switches very fast.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to hear. Looks like I'll have to give one a try. Waiting to see what the Artillian grapple looks like compared to the EA grapple which appears to work very well on the small machines.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,198 Posts
Good to hear. Looks like I'll have to give one a try. Waiting to see what the Artillian grapple looks like compared to the EA grapple which appears to work very well on the small machines.

If you want to go custom check out Paul Short on you tube. He custom made one for his BX for a rear thumb on his back hoe and for his loader so he could use a grapple. Like I said it is custom but he does a great job and put it on video.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts