Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking up JD parts figuring out how to hook up a grapple control. The power beyond kit is $304, that's ok I guess but the selective control valve kit is $399. That seems a little high for a control lever. Plus I need to buy some female couplers and a few other pieces according to the JD site. Are there any manufacturers that make a scv kit that would work for my set up? Looked at a hyd supply site, too many types of valves- I wouldn't know which one to buy. I'd like to leave the couplers at the rear so I could also use a hyd top link if desired. Thanks guys.
Ronster

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Welcome to DT.

If you don't want to pay Deere's price for the kit, you're on your own to cobble one together. These things are low volume selling items that it doesn't pay for third parties to manufacture kits.

I'll bet the $399 kit contains more than just a control lever and cable, and would include hardlines, fittings, instructions, and engineering knowledge you're paying for. If a valve is included in the $399 price, that's a good deal. You'll probably pay more than $399 to cobble together you're own kit.

Also, I would think you would only need the 3rd SCV kit for the grapple, unless the Power Beyond kit is required to power the 3rd SCV. On my 4200, the PB powers the 4th & 5th SCV.

To quote DT's resident hydraulics guru KennyD, "The only thing cheap about hydraulics are O-rings and advice."

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
To quote DT's resident hydraulics guru KennyD, "The only thing cheap about hydraulics are O-rings and advice."
:laugh::laugh: So someone does read what I type, that's good to know! :laugh::laugh:

Ron, MJ gave good advice. An alternative to a new separate valve is a devise called a "electric diverter" that effectively "splits" one function into two. The are usually placed on the dump/curl circuit of the loader and there is a switch on the joystick to control it. When there is no power to the valve everything works like it does now, but when power is applied the fluid would be redirected to different ports which would power the grapple, It works like a DPDT switch if you are familiar with electronics.

This setup will cost about $300-$400 or so to put together yourself. WR Long (a sponsor to the forum) may have a kit your the 2520 but I am not sure about that.

I have been running this "diverter" setup on my machine for a few years now-first with a FEL snow blade that I no longer have, and now with my grapple.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm sure the JD SCV comes with a bracket and should be a bolt on installation. It does require the Power Beyond kit as well. The electric diverter doesn't appeal to me for one reason or another, besides I'd like to keep the 3rd hyd lines at the rear of the tractor for a top link if needed.
Ronster

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm sure the JD SCV comes with a bracket and should be a bolt on installation. It does require the Power Beyond kit as well. The electric diverter doesn't appeal to me for one reason or another, besides I'd like to keep the 3rd hyd lines at the rear of the tractor for a top link if needed.
Ronster
The nice advantage of the diverter or solenoid valve is that your hand stays on the joystick to operate the grapple.

OK then...can you fabricate?

You can add your own two-valve setup for half the cost of the JD setup, but you will have to make a bracket and source all the parts.

I added a small 2-spool valve to my 4110 (very similar setup to your machine), there are some pictures in this web album: https://picasaweb.google.com/kdeckster/SCVPics#

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kenny. Looks like a professional job on your tractor. I get lost in all the hydraulic tech. I think I might go the JD route as I am afraid I'm gonna screw something up. A little more money, but I don't have the fabrication talent that most of you guys on this forum have.
Ronster

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at the JD parts today. The 3rd scv kit looks like it could be plumbed right into the two extra oulets at the bottom of the hyd control valve. I can't see what the power beyond kit does.Other than a bracket, the power beyond looks like fittings and hoses anyone could buy at a local hyd supply.

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
I was looking at the JD parts today. The 3rd scv kit looks like it could be plumbed right into the two extra oulets at the bottom of the hyd control valve. I can't see what the power beyond kit does.Other than a bracket, the power beyond looks like fittings and hoses anyone could buy at a local hyd supply.
Yes, the PB can be plumbed with off-the-shelf stuff, and that is recommended when adding your own valve when the brackets, QD's and loop hose aren't needed. If you where adding a backhoe then the PB kit is a good deal since it has the QD's, brackets and loop hose included.

The 3rd SCV kit for the 2520 has always had me confused since they introduced it. If you follow the hoses they all connect to the valve and nothing connects to the tractor :dunno: I have never seen it installed-most just add a two-spool valve since it's cheaper and you get two spool's for less then the price of one.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kenny, I found a 1 spool valve (MB11B5C1) $90 on the Surplus Center web site. It looks like what JD sells for $399 with a bracket and short hoses to the PB. If I could make a bracket for this valve, then I would have to run two lines down to the extra outlets at the bottom of the hydraulic valve on tractor, then two more out to my grapple. Does that make sense or is there more to it?

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Kenny, I found a 1 spool valve (MB11B5C1) $90 on the Surplus Center web site. It looks like what JD sells for $399 with a bracket and short hoses to the PB. If I could make a bracket for this valve, then I would have to run two lines down to the extra outlets at the bottom of the hydraulic valve on tractor, then two more out to my grapple. Does that make sense or is there more to it?
\

This valve correct? http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=&qty=1&item=MB11B5C1

Yes, that would work perfectly, or $50 more get a second spool: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7862&catname=hydraulic

There is a little more to it, you have to add a screw/plug (part #23 below, about $2 from JD) to the block between the loader valve and the tranny, then the hoses to the valve (3/8" recommended). You will also need QD's, and long hoses (1/4" here is perfect) to the front. You may also want to add a bracket and QD's where the loader lines connect now so you can easily take the loader off and leave all the hoses installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, that's the valve I'm looking at. I see the parts # 21,22,23 screwing into the block. What's there now? I need to find out the size of the fittings under the tractor ( the hydraulic block?). Looks like we've just started a project:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Just #21 and #22 are in there. The #23 plug directs the fluid to the OUT port, without it the the two valves would be in parallel and neither would work since all valves must be in series.

I think the ports are -06 ORB on the block, I can verify later.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
3rd function valve kit

We have two different kits for this loader/tractor. Our 1st style valve kit is the diverter type that robs the fluid from the dump/curl or up/down function. We also have a true 3rd function valve kit with a rocker switch. This valve kit does not rob the loader functions. I have a number of customers that have run one set of hoses to the front of the tractor and another set of hoses to the back of the tractor. As you know there is no power beyond port on your tractor. Normally we require a power beyond port to feed our valve, however we can substitute our normal subplate with a subplate with a relief valve built in, therefore you would not have to add the power beyond kit from John Deere. There is a flow diagram on my website that might be of help. http://www.wrlonginc.com/Hyd DO3B Flow Diagram.pdf

Nelson
W. R. Long Inc.

Ronster

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The valve came yesterday. Spent today making the bracket,drilling holes and putting on a coat of primer on it. Once it's mounted, I'll measure for the hoses. Still haven't decided on the grapple yet. I'll post a pic or two if I figure out how.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all. I've been away from my hyd project too long. Just recieved my hoses from Surplus Center. They sent me 1/2" instead of 3/8". I also noticed the packing slip has " JIC 8F " for the female fittings. I bought 3/8 JIC male fittings for the hyd block and valve fittings. Are size 8 and 3/8 the same thread sizes? The 1/2" hoses that were sent to me have female fittings +/- 5/8 or 3/4 inch inside diameter.
Ronster

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Surplus Center goofed on your order.

Size 8 = 1/2", Size 6 = 3/8". Each number equals 1/16".

I suggest you get in touch with SC, explain the situation, and get them to send you the correct stuff, and pick up the tab for return shipping the stuff they goofed on. If you're lucky, they may send the proper items with expedited shipping to make it right.

I don't buy a lot from them; but I've been pleased with their service on the items I have purchased.

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Yep...get the right stuff. 1/2" is to big.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.