Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weekends ago I had the FEL off the 1025 and it was sitting in the sun. So the quick connects weren't so quick to connect. The grapple was on, but not hooked up.

This weekend I hooked up the grapple.

One of the hydraulic lines was very difficult to attach, but with some gentle persuasion (non-percussive) the poppet released and everything connected.

When I pushed the buttons on the joystick, no movement. And, no audible draw on the hydraulic pump.

This is the JD 3rd SCV, not an aftermarket diverter. Any ideas on where I should look? Is there a fuse that gets installed as part of the electronic controls? Is the control wire a known snag target and maybe the wires got pulled from their connector? I posted a pic in "What did you do with your SCUT Today" thread of using the FEL with grapple mounted to try (unsuccessfully) to self-extricate from muddy ground. It's possible I damaged a hose in doing so, but I don't see evidence of fluid leaking, and the rest of the FEL functions were fine.

I'll get back to the shed today for more troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
There should be a fuse tap inside the fuse box on the right side of the machine.
It's possible that after sitting awhile the valve spool seized up inside the valve body. you can some light tapping with a hammer while cycling the joystick controls possibly. I have heard of members taking the valve body apart and cleaning it really good. Before you get that deep, make sure your getting power to the solenoids.

Reactions: bpop

·
Registered
125 Posts
When my local dealer installed my 3rd function setup, I had the same problems. It turned out that my JD dealer did not reinstall the fuse box cover, which on my 3046R faces up and right behind the seat. A bit of rain had shorted out several fuses, including the one they added for the 3rd function. After a new fuse box AND a cover, everything worked as is should. My problem is probably different than yours — my new 3rd function did not work.

My recommendation is to make sure all fuses are properly seated. I’d also disconnect and reconnect the hydraulic quick disconnects — if one is not quite attached you’ll get your symptoms. While it probably goes without saying, make sure all pressure is released before reattaching fittings.

Reactions: bpop

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When my local dealer installed my 3rd function setup, I had the same problems. It turned out that my JD dealer did not reinstall the fuse box cover, which on my 3046R faces up and right behind the seat. A bit of rain had shorted out several fuses, including the one they added for the 3rd function. After a new fuse box AND a cover, everything worked as is should. My problem is probably different than yours — my new 3rd function did not work.

My recommendation is to make sure all fuses are properly seated. I’d also disconnect and reconnect the hydraulic quick disconnects — if one is not quite attached you’ll get your symptoms. While it probably goes without saying, make sure all pressure is released before reattaching fittings.
Will do. One thing I read somewhere (here?) recently was to not close the grapple jaw fully when disconnecting. The thought being that then the cylinder can extend and contract and is not up against a hard stop. When the tractor is off it's easy to release the FEL pressure. I haven't tried the SCV buttons for releasing pressure when the tractor is not running, but ignition is on. I don't know if that would even work. But I'm definitely changing my MO to not fully close the grapple.

Not hearing any draw on the pump makes me think this is an electrical issue.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,403 Posts
Mine has 2 fuse taps at the fuse box. Take of the right engine cover and check.

They valve itself is under the center of the tractor in front of the transaxle. You can check to see if something came undone or got damaged somehow.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I had a similar issue over a year ago when I first purchased the tractor. Make sure that you have not chosen another function on the joy stick, and hold the button down for 4-5 seconds. It turned out that my 3rd SCV just need the fluid to cycle a bit. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar issue over a year ago when I first purchased the tractor. Make sure that you have not chosen another function on the joy stick, and hold the button down for 4-5 seconds. It turned out that my 3rd SCV just need the fluid to cycle a bit. Haven't had a problem since.
Will do. Thank you!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok. Apparently, it was all a drill. Cycled the poppets and reconnected the lines and et voila! The patient is alive!

Ran it through the motions and all appears well with the world. I did leave the jaw open this time and confirmed that if the key is on but the engine is off the controls will work to relieve pressure on the jaw. (if that makes sense).

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Good stuff. You'll love that grapple.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuff. You'll love that grapple.
Already do. Had it from the beginning and have written about that appreciation elsewhere here.

Reactions: DBCSteve
1 - 10 of 10 Posts