Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I just purchased a 3046R this fall, overall very happy. I did a lot of research and saw many comments on the lack of stability, so I ordered 3" spacers with my tractor. The spacers were delayed so the dealer delivered the tractor without so I could use. I did a couple days of loader work on my driveways carrying full buckets of gravel, there was some noticeable tippy-ness but nothing that had me on the seat of my pants. Tractor is away to dealer now to have the spacers installed. I would still recommend 2-3" spacers on either side. I would not larger than 3" however you will start to run into issues with rear implement width vs tire track, outside to outside of R4 tires is 60" stock or 66" with 3" spacers, a 72" rear blade will barely cover this when fully angled.

I weighted my tractor on a set of truck scales and cabbed unit with 320R loader, 61" light duty materials bucket, RB2172H, and loaded tires it was 5970lbs, RB2172H is around 400lbs, so cabbed 3R models are scratching on 6000lbs even with out a rear attachment.

I ordered by tractor with all hydraulic options. Couple things here that could make a difference between 3R and 4R. 3R cabbed unit 4th and 5th function are through diverter valve only where as 4R has option for independent levers. If you are doing a lot of swapping between front and back control that switch adds another step in between in both directions. I'm still acclimating to the controls but I find myself forgetting the diverter switch when swapping back and forth between front and rear. Also 3rd function on the 4R has continuous flow functionality available the 3R does not.

·
Administrator
19,579 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I moved from an OS 06' 3320 to a deluxe cab 18' 3039r almost 3 years ago and the upgrade has been great. Only minor issues I've had were an o-ring leak on the trans input shaft and a bad fuel sending unit. Otherwise it has been problem free for the 150hrs I've put on it. The cab is great. A/C, heat, no dust, hard to go back to an OS model tractor. My only problem is I've been getting the itch lately to move up to a 4R, but unfortunately I don't see it being feasible right now since it would be a very tight fit in my existing storage building. And I'm not one that likes to leave equipment out in the weather. I really don't think there's the clearance to get a 4R cab in the building, so I'll have to wait until I get something larger built. For you, a 3R cab would be a huge upgrade, but if you can afford it than I would look at a 4R too. The 3R will likely do everything you want to do, but the 4R will guarantee that. I would also recommended getting the MSL loader if you go with the 4R. It has a much better usable lift capacity.

Rick

Reactions: JDLTG

·
Registered
957 Posts
Absolutely love my cab 4720, I wish there was a tad more room in the cab for a dog or fire extinguisher, etc. This particular size is perfect for our ranch needs. When we sell the motorhome I'll be able to park it under roof. My previous tractor was an open station Kubota L2900 which was way too small for our needs - it would only lift about 1,000 pounds which was an occasional issue (round hay bales are usually over 1,000 pounds.) My 4720 has a lift capacity of about 2.5k pounds.

Reactions: cc1999 and JDLTG

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Absolutely love my cab 4720, I wish there was a tad more room in the cab for a dog or fire extinguisher, etc. This particular size is perfect for our ranch needs. When we sell the motorhome I'll be able to park it under roof. My previous tractor was an open station Kubota L2900 which was way too small for our needs - it would only lift about 1,000 pounds which was an occasional issue (round hay bales are usually over 1,000 pounds.) My 4720 has a lift capacity of about 2.5k pounds.
I would love to see Deere come out with a low HP cab 5 series with the same feature set as the 4R. or a new 4R that uses the 5 series cab.
I really like the added space of the 5 Series cab, but would really miss my e-hydro trans I have in my 4Rs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all,

I am planning on upgrading my 870 to something newer with a cab, loader, and hydrostatic transmission. I stopped by a local JD dealer, and tried to get some info on both a 3 series and a 4 series. The only fella that I could find to speak with was a person from the parts counter.

I know the 3 is considered a medium size, and the 4 is a large size frame. I also understand that the loader on a 4 series will lift more than the 3.

What I don’t really know, is how the cabs may be different....he thought they were close to the same size and feature, but wasn’t positive. He also couldn’t tell me much of what HP to look at....only that we both knew these won’t pull a plow like a comparable HP two cylinder.

I consider myself in a decent spot attachment wise, as I don’t have many. If I went with the 3 series, I am guessing I could use everything I have. If I go with a 4 series, I would have to upgrade a couple pieces.

So, I could use either size tractor at our place. My wonder is, has anyone bought a 3 series, and wished they had gotten the bigger 4 series, or has anyone bought a 4 series and found they would have rather had a 3?

I am appreciative of any help from you all....feel it is better than trying to get info from the dealer.
I have a 3046R with the deluxe cab/air ride seat. Love it! I rarely use the heat in South Carolina, but I love the A/C and Sirius in the summer time. I would have stepped up to the 4066R, but no mid-PTO was offered and the belly mower was a must have. I sometimes wonder how a rear finish mower would have worked on the 4R, but I am quite happy.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I have owned both a JD 955 and JD 4520. Both were excellent machines and both were hydrostatic drive. If you are using a loader you will like hydrostatic drive (either reverser or foot hydro)[have operated loaders for over 40 years].

I would compare length of unit, height of unit, weight of unit, hydraulic flow rates (faster is better) and lifting ability. I like split foot brakes (makes steering in tight spaces easy). Cab tractors keep you warm and dry in and bad weather. Cabs have a/c for hot weather. Radios are nice, but Pandora with cell phone works too. Open tractors are nice if you have to get on and off alot.

Would also see how the mowing deck connects (autoconnect is a great feature).

A 4066 is 66 hp and 3046 is 46 hp. John Deere attachments are marketed through Frontier. Look at the Frontier brochure to cross reference the 4066 compatible attachments and 3046 attachments. That will also help you decide. Both tractors are considered large frame compact tractors. The larger the tractor the faster you will complete the work (larger mower.. etc).

Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I have a neighbor with an erskine front mount on a 4066R, they have had numerous issues with it and I would suggest really looking into it further before purchase. Have not messed with it much but the design seems kind of crude and does not blow well. If i had a 4000 series i would go rear pull first then next choice would either be a hydro pack or a front pro fit like Zuidberg or Hardy (both pricey i believe). Honestly my rear pull works so well i can't see going back to a front blower.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thank you all for your comments! I figured I would end up with a 4066R with a cab provided we go green. My only other thought is checking out orange, but time will tell which one wins out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a neighbor with an erskine front mount on a 4066R, they have had numerous issues with it
I have had a 72" Erskine on a JD 110 TLB for over 10 years. It is now on our new JD 4066R. (When in deep snow, the 4066R's additional horsepower is noticeable!) It takes a fair amount of hydraulic flow to run well...21 GPM works well. It is also a great crushed stone removal tool...so it takes some experimenting with the joystick and skids.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had a 72" Erskine on a JD 110 TLB for over 10 years. It is now on our new JD 4066R. (When in deep snow, the 4066R's additional horsepower is noticeable!) It takes a fair amount of hydraulic flow to run well...21 GPM works well. It is also a great crushed stone removal tool...so it takes some experimenting with the joystick and skids.

I think he is referring to the one in the above post, looks like its just a front blower driven by the PTO, the shaft is just redirected forward under the tractor, nothing to do with hydraulics other than the chute articulation. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think he is referring to the one in the above post, looks like its just a front blower driven by the PTO, the shaft is just redirected forward under the tractor, nothing to do with hydraulics other than the chute articulation. I could be wrong though.
Oops! :)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Isn't 4066R a hydro unit and the PTO is driven by the transmission not by direct drive by the engine? If so, hydro driven, the PTO flow and pressure would have a bearing on performance of the blower.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Based on the performance, it has to be direct drive.

Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Isn't 4066R a hydro unit and the PTO is driven by the transmission not by direct drive by the engine? If so, hydro driven, the PTO flow and pressure would have a bearing on performance of the blower.
Guess I never thought about how the pto is driven but figured the trans and pto were seperate. Thought the clutch was a direct link to the engine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am referring to a direct drive from rear pto, interesting that a similar blower works well with hydro power, good to know

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yea I'm thoroughly confused at this point. The 4 series tractors don't put out 21gpm either?

·
Registered
957 Posts
My 4720 (66 hp turbo) is 12 gpm.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts