Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Compact tractors are not really designed to run hydraulic motor stuff. You need a skid steer for that. Hydraulic cylinders work great. Got 2 on the rear of my 4066R right now.

Dave

·
Registered
62 Posts
My comments about 21 gpm was for an aftermarket rear pto driven hydraulic pump. The one I use is from Prince. I run two hydraulic lines from the pump/external 3ph mounted reservoir to the loader mounted hydraulic snow blower.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Compact tractors are not really designed to run hydraulic motor stuff. ...

Dave
Skid steers usually have much more hydraulic flow capability than a compact tractor. Some skid steers have WAY more.

PTO driven pumps with an external reservoir on a compact tractor will provide enough flow to run the smaller hydraulic implements. For example, my 6' wide hydraulic snow blower runs great on a with 21 gpm pto driven Prince pump.

The stock factory hydraulic flow rates on compact tractors is only useful very small hydraulic motors. Cylinders great, motors not so great. For example, the loader mounted 3rd on my JG 10 TLB (roughly 5 gpm) was basically useless for my snow blower. Using that tractor's power beyond (roughly 12 gpm) was marginal... VERY marginal. 21 gpm from the pto driven Prince pump was WAAY better.

Back to the OP's original topic. My open station tractor works great for busting through heavy treed areas and is easier getting on and off. When using my snow blower, cab with heat is absolutely WAAY more comfortable. The weight of the cab seems to help with traction in snow (but tough to say for sure, the cab tractor is brand new and the open station pushing 20 years with original tires.) Visibility is somewhat better in the open cab. Communicating with a spotter is easier with open cab. If I could only have one, at my age and for my use, it would be a cab!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all,

I am planning on upgrading my 870 to something newer with a cab, loader, and hydrostatic transmission. I stopped by a local JD dealer, and tried to get some info on both a 3 series and a 4 series. The only fella that I could find to speak with was a person from the parts counter.

I know the 3 is considered a medium size, and the 4 is a large size frame. I also understand that the loader on a 4 series will lift more than the 3.

What I don’t really know, is how the cabs may be different....he thought they were close to the same size and feature, but wasn’t positive. He also couldn’t tell me much of what HP to look at....only that we both knew these won’t pull a plow like a comparable HP two cylinder.

I consider myself in a decent spot attachment wise, as I don’t have many. If I went with the 3 series, I am guessing I could use everything I have. If I go with a 4 series, I would have to upgrade a couple pieces.

So, I could use either size tractor at our place. My wonder is, has anyone bought a 3 series, and wished they had gotten the bigger 4 series, or has anyone bought a 4 series and found they would have rather had a 3?

I am appreciative of any help from you all....feel it is better than trying to get info from the dealer.
I used to have had a JD 850 traded it for a John Deere 4300 (1999) I'd love to upgrade to a 4 series or 3- cab or not but don't know how in the world people can afford them anymore. So so expensive. I am on 33 acres 1/2 is wooded so a cab tractor might not be right for me but would love to have one. Why type of work do you all do to where you all can afford these machines? Just curious! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Easy, I haven’t bought a new car for 10 years. It has 98,000 miles on it and now we only put 2-3000 miles a year on it. My pickup is 15 years old and has 71,000 miles. We only put 1500 miles a year on it now. So I save the money I would have spent on a new car or truck and bought a new tractor. I could have paid cash, but I financed $3000 for 5 years to get the Deere insurance. It’s considerably cheaper than insuring with my insurance provider.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd guess income levels of fellow members vary all over the map. Same goes for the "need" for these machines. And frankly some may be living beyond their means. (I have an acquaintance that lived very nicely (above his means) and ultimately filed bankruptcy when others his age were taking retirement.

Stress not. I bet there are many people who would love to be able to have what you have. Enjoy!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts