Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

I am currently building out a new 1025r with a 3rd function and I am eyeing out a 4 in 1 bucket.

My main goal with my implements is to have the least of them because my storage space is limited. For that reason, I don’t want a normal bucket and a grapple, which is why the 4 in 1 bucket interest me.

I would like to have real world impressions from people that have a 4 in 1 bucket on a 1025r.

Do you still like it? Do you feel like the weight impacted the lift capacity too much? Would you buy it again?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,110 Posts
The 4 in 1 bucket is a bit heavy for the 1025R. You'll sacrifice a lot of lift capacity with it.

Reactions: MattL

·
Registered
1023e, pallet forks and a box blade for now...
41 Posts
I have never seen a 4 in 1 bucket in action on a subcompact before(they make them and folks buy them). I have seen them on larger equipment and was blown away by how many things it does exceptionally well. It is my opinion the Subcompact tractor weight (think traction) and lifting capacity would hamper the usefulness of a 4 in 1 bucket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 4 in 1 bucket is a bit heavy for the 1025R. You'll sacrifice a lot of lift capacity with it.
I have never seen a 4 in 1 bucket in action on a subcompact before(they make them and folks buy them). I have seen them on larger equipment and was blown away by how many things it does exceptionally well. It is my opinion the Subcompact tractor weight (think traction) and lifting capacity would hamper the usefulness of a 4 in 1 bucket.
Thanks to both of you for chiming in. I feel that, since this is a relatively new implement, allot of us are left hanging guessing if they are working well or no.

I am also afraid that they might be a bit much for a 1025r, but, just like you, that is only a guess since I never owned one.

The dealer is willing to work with me and keep the included standard loader bucket so the only one I would have would be the 4 in 1. The interesting deal is that I am saving 500$ by not getting the original bucket.

I would really appreciate if someone that owns a 1025r with a 4 in 1 bucket would let me know what they think of it.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,110 Posts
There's a member from down under that I think has a subcompact with a 4 in 1. Might be @John 54 ...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks to both of you for chiming in. I feel that, since this is a relatively new implement, allot of us are left hanging guessing if they are working well or no.

I am also afraid that they might be a bit much for a 1025r, but, just like you, that is only a guess since I never owned one.

The dealer is willing to work with me and keep the included standard loader bucket so the only one I would have would be the 4 in 1. The interesting deal is that I am saving 500$ by not getting the original bucket.

I would really appreciate if someone that owns a 1025r with a 4 in 1 bucket would let me know what they think of it.
Seems like TTWT did a video on those with his 1025r. Check youtube.

Like a lot of things, a multipurpose tool is never great at anything. The tractor itself is like that in many ways. I wouldn't bother with the 4 in 1 myself. I think it will be a substandard grapple and a heavy bucket.

Found it:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just my opinion, but I had a 4 n 1 on my previous machine and yes it was heavy. Double the weight of the regular bucket. Besides that I found it useless to do any work similar to what is done with a grapple. So much so I later modified the hydraulics to live 3rd function and bought a grapple. Some of the reason it didn't work for me may have been because I didn't know how to use it properly but I've been doing this a long time and I can say that I don't think a 4 n 1 is close to being as useful as a grapple.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For what it's worth, I was considering this exact same scenario 2 weeks ago and decided against it. It doesn't really save you any money and it puts another ~100# of dead weight where its least wanted, which is a pretty large percentage of the machine's useful load.

One of my use cases involves moving a lot of loads of dirt and compost down a hillside where bucket weight is the last thing I want. I also don't have a ton of storage space but looking at the Artillian modular grapple, that breaks down into pieces and you can hang pallet forks on the frame as well, so that seemed like a pretty efficient system space-wise. Plus it seems like the 4-in-1 makes a mediocre grapple.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 4-in-1 bucket on my 3046R and find it to be very useful. Today I was using it to move and dump gravel, just as you would with a regular bucket. A few months ago I opened up the front half of the bucket and used the rear half to push snow. A few months before that I used it to clamp, pick up, and move logs to the splitter for firewood. I wouldn't want a different type of bucket on my tractor.

·
Registered
600 Posts
5090E2.jpg

I don't have a close up but for me this is waaaay better than a 4 n 1.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,110 Posts
I have a 4-in-1 bucket on my 3046R and find it to be very useful. Today I was using it to move and dump gravel, just as you would with a regular bucket. A few months ago I opened up the front half of the bucket and used the rear half to push snow. A few months before that I used it to clamp, pick up, and move logs to the splitter for firewood. I wouldn't want a different type of bucket on my tractor.
I can see the benefit on a larger machine but not on a 1025R. It needs every available pound of lift capacity otherwise the loader is just about useless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a 4in1 on my 3320 and it was an amazing tool, so I got one with my 2025r last year. While the 4in1 is still pretty handy it is not nearly as useful as it was on the heavier more powerful machine. I think you would find it to have more minuses than plusses on a 1025r.

If it helps show how I really feel, I bought the Frontier root grapple a few months later for picking up brush and firewood logs because the hydraulic force on the smaller tractor just didn't give enough grip on the clamp. I have the standard material bucket on most of the time but still use the 4in1 for quite a bit. Probably the neatest trick I pull off is when I get it opened and angled just right it will peel off sod for as far as I want to back up, and then going forward I can fold up (or roll up if I'm lucky) the peeled sod and pick it up to move. The 3320 did a great job with this, the 2025r - not so much.

My dealer advised against getting the 4in1 with the 1025r when I was shopping and hadn't decided on the tractor yet. I know he wasn't just saying it to get me to buy the 2025r because he didn't even have one there yet. If you do get it I would advise keeping the standard materials bucket also. The 4in1 doesn't scoop up loose dirt as well and the plain old bucket is just handier for simple tasks. I live close to the beach so I get dune sand occasionally and kept the original bucket primarily for moving it around since the extra pins and pivots on the fancy bucket don't like the salty grit too well.

Reactions: sansbury

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a 4in1 on my 3320 and it was an amazing tool, so I got one with my 2025r last year. While the 4in1 is still pretty handy it is not nearly as useful as it was on the heavier more powerful machine. I think you would find it to have more minuses than plusses on a 1025r.

If it helps show how I really feel, I bought the Frontier root grapple a few months later for picking up brush and firewood logs because the hydraulic force on the smaller tractor just didn't give enough grip on the clamp. I have the standard material bucket on most of the time but still use the 4in1 for quite a bit. Probably the neatest trick I pull off is when I get it opened and angled just right it will peel off sod for as far as I want to back up, and then going forward I can fold up (or roll up if I'm lucky) the peeled sod and pick it up to move. The 3320 did a great job with this, the 2025r - not so much.

My dealer advised against getting the 4in1 with the 1025r when I was shopping and hadn't decided on the tractor yet. I know he wasn't just saying it to get me to buy the 2025r because he didn't even have one there yet. If you do get it I would advise keeping the standard materials bucket also. The 4in1 doesn't scoop up loose dirt as well and the plain old bucket is just handier for simple tasks. I live close to the beach so I get dune sand occasionally and kept the original bucket primarily for moving it around since the extra pins and pivots on the fancy bucket don't like the salty grit too well.
Thanks everyone for the answers, please keep them coming!

As for the 2025r vs the 1025r. The lift capacity is really similar and it's even possible to install the 2025r hydraulic pump to make it the same. The little 1R will definitely weight less though and I guess it would affect it.

Again, thanks for the input. I am planning on buying the tractor sometime next week and, for now, I am still completely undecided. Seems like allot of people have an opinion on the 4 in 1 but no't many have actually tried/owned it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Funny because I could peel sod with mine. That was one of the things it was good for. Really good for. Only problem is, I never need to peel sod. What mine was never good for was productive picking and moving of items.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,110 Posts
As for the 2025r vs the 1025r. The lift capacity is really similar and it's even possible to install the 2025r hydraulic pump to make it the same. The little 1R will definitely weight less though and I guess it would affect it.
The 2025R pump on a 1025R (warranty issues aside) doesn't increase lift capacity, it just speeds it up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I should also add that when I had the bigger tractor and before I was retired I was in the Cat shop at work and so there was a lot of tractor and equipment talk going on. I used to say it should be against the law to sell a tractor without a 4in1 bucket because I thought it was such a nice tool. So my vote is still a yes if you keep the other bucket too. C'mon - it's only five hundred bucks extra (after you spend the $2k for the fancy one and the going rate for the third SCV to run it).

As for changing pumps, you could probably accomplish what you would need by jacking up the relief pressure, but you don't want to do either before the warranty is up.

Good luck! You will get it all figured out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
While I don’t have one, the comments about using it as a grapple replacement made me chuckle. That’s not what it’s really designed for. In the commercial excavating industry, they use them as a dozer blade, or where it’s really shines, spreading gravel or limestone on driveways by cracking open and controlling the dispersement thereof. You can also dump into a higher side truck or trailer by opening it where you don’t have the height to dump the regular bucket. As far as a grapple goes, forks would be my go to, but then I have experience in using them on a loader unloading log trucks, laying out those logs then sorting them into like species to be stacked for later retrieval to put them into the saw mill. I realize that they were delimbed, but I learned where the center of gravity is and where the tips of the forks were and how to “feel “ my way up and into a tightly stacked load of logs. A lot of you have commented on the weight of the 4-1 but how heavy of the grapple? Especially if you have the one that has two cylinders. And is it removable so it’s not adding to the weight and how hard is that to remove? When I’m doing dirt work I sure wouldn’t want that on there. I was just moving some heavy material tonight and the extra weight of a grapple would’ve been very irksome. Since I was limited as it was. What I’m trying to say with all this is, what works for you may not be a necessity for someone else, and when I see comments instructing someone what to buy instead of offering your experience and couching it as an opinion, well it’s irksome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
While I don’t have one, the comments about using it as a grapple replacement made me chuckle. That’s not what it’s really designed for. In the commercial excavating industry, they use them as a dozer blade, or where it’s really shines, spreading gravel or limestone on driveways by cracking open and controlling the dispersement thereof. You can also dump into a higher side truck or trailer by opening it where you don’t have the height to dump the regular bucket. As far as a grapple goes, forks would be my go to, but then I have experience in using them on a loader unloading log trucks, laying out those logs then sorting them into like species to be stacked for later retrieval to put them into the saw mill. I realize that they were delimbed, but I learned where the center of gravity is and where the tips of the forks were and how to “feel “ my way up and into a tightly stacked load of logs. A lot of you have commented on the weight of the 4-1 but how heavy of the grapple? Especially if you have the one that has two cylinders. And is it removable so it’s not adding to the weight and how hard is that to remove? When I’m doing dirt work I sure wouldn’t want that on there. I was just moving some heavy material tonight and the extra weight of a grapple would’ve been very irksome. Since I was limited as it was. What I’m trying to say with all this is, what works for you may not be a necessity for someone else, and when I see comments instructing someone what to buy instead of offering your experience and couching it as an opinion, well it’s irksome.
Thanks, definitely a valid point. I really don't have much planned use for the grapple function of the 4 in 1, but I do like the aspect that it can do allot of things while taking no extra space compared to a normal bucket in my workshop. My main concern is really that I want to know if some people used one and realized that the lift capacity reduction was so noticeable that they couldnt use that bucket to handle loads that they are used to with the standard bucket.

As you said, grapples are also really heavy but we don't hear anyone complaining about those. Mind you, allot of times you pick up stuff lighter than rocks/dirt like wood.

You do raise a point which I think is key; what I would really like is to get real world experience of 4 in 1 bucket owners on the 1025R.

I am still undecided if I should go with the 4 in 1 or the standard bucket and some day order an artilian grapple simply because I want an attachment that uses the 3rd function.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,110 Posts
My main concern is really that I want to know if some people used one and realized that the lift capacity reduction was so noticeable that they couldnt use that bucket to handle loads that they are used to with the standard bucket.
The 4 in 1 is at least 100 lbs heavier than the standard bucket. With a 517 lb capacity at full height, thats a 20% reduction right off the bat.

As you said, grapples are also really heavy but we don't hear anyone complaining about those. Mind you, allot of times you pick up stuff lighter than rocks/dirt like wood.
My AV20F is about 100 lbs heavier than the standard bucket, so it's the same as the 4 in 1, but it's also much better at grapple functions.

And don't kid yourself, wood gets plenty heavy and can/will push the limits of lift capacity on a 1025R.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I can see the benefit on a larger machine but not on a 1025R. It needs every available pound of lift capacity otherwise the loader is just about useless.
Can back to say exactly this. The larger tractor it's working fine on isn't pushing the loader limit with every scoop of gravel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts