Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put a 4 post car lift in my new barn. I have little to no knowledge about what ones are good and what ones are not. I called bendpak and talked with them, but I do not feel the lady I talked to had a good idea of what I wanted. I want something that I can put a Crew Cab Short Box Diesel up on and also something that I can put my Jeep on. The lady told me to go with the HD9XL but that only has a 70" lift, so I could not put a car on top and my Jeep under. Also, that one is 116" wide. If I went to the HD9STX its 99.75" wide and lifts to 82" so it would work better, but I am insure if that is track width or overall width.

So, Are these good lifts?

Garage Lifts, 4-Post Car Lifts, Four Post Car Lifts, Auto Lifts - BendPak Products

Does anyone know what if the 9K model will wrk for lifting a super duty? I was reading ratings and like our buckets, the farther away from the lift point you get, the less it will kift.

The very cool part about the 9K lifts is that you can get a roller kit to move them around in the barn. Nice to me as I can stuff it in the corner when not in use or when storing stuff in the winter.

Thanks for any help!

On Edit: I think I need the HD9XW?
http://www.bendpak.com/HD-9XW-Four-Post-Lift.pdf

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I know a guy who used something like that to put his Camaro up and out of the way so his kid wouldn't take it when he wasn't home :lol: Haven't been in touch with him recently and I don't remember the model he had though.

Looking at the specs of a new Power Stroke Super Duty, I think the HD9WX looks just about right. Ford specs say the a new one weighs 7,500lbs, so a 9,000lb model should lift it just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Any reason not to get a 2 post? My dad put one in his shop a few years ago and it is the best thing ever. He puts his 08 Quad cab, long box, D-max on it no problem. The underside has no obstructions. I used it to change the engine in my 2002 Saturn SC2. Dropped the cradle engine, tranny, and all. I know it'll also hold his quad cab 454 utility truck. It has a generator and welder on it and weights a ton. Well technically a couple tons. :)

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know a guy who used something like that to put his Camaro up and out of the way so his kid wouldn't take it when he wasn't home :lol: Haven't been in touch with him recently and I don't remember the model he had though.

Looking at the specs of a new Power Stroke Super Duty, I think the HD9WX looks just about right. Ford specs say the a new one weighs 7,500lbs, so a 9,000lb model should lift it just fine.
But of that 7500 pounds, how much is out front. This will lift 4500 in the front and the same in the back. I think it will be maxed out, but work. I hope.

I am going with a four post as I can move it around the shop. No need for it to be bolted down. I will use it to work on cars but more to store them. With a young son, I also know it will be safer for him to use when he is old enough.

Sent via TapaTalk from a hunting blind near you. :)

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
If I had a place for a lift, I tend to lean towards a 4-post unit for a couple of reasons. A 4-post lift doesn't require anything overly special to secure it to the floor like a 2-post unit does. Also most 2-post lifts I've seen make getting in and out of the vehicle difficult, and this old body of mine doesn't flex like a Chinese acrobat's body does. I picture door dings with a 2-post lift.

On the plus side a 2-post lift does give clear access to the vehicle's underside.

Since you plan on getting a 4-post lift, get the longest, widest, highest lifting unit you can for your projected lifting needs. If you do it right, you may even be able to raise your tractors for servicing them.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the plan, but I also need it narrow enough to fit my jeep.

It would also be nice to be able to put some quads up in the air, but I think they can go on sideways.

If I step up to a 14K, it will no longer be mobile... :(

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
You can go with a two-post asymmetric design which rotates the columns and uses longer rear arms to allow the doors to open full wide. They're available in 10k capacity. I'm planning to install a Rotary SPOA10-RA-EH2 (2' extended height) to facilitate storage of a second vehicle below. Additionally a two post lift leaves the wheels free and the entire underside of the vehicle exposed for easy service access. No working around the runway decks.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But can you move a two post lift to the rear corner of the building in the winter to store cars and then move it out to any garage stall in the summer, including outside?

That is what I really like about the 4 post.

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
Brian, I sell lots of lifts for a living. The BP storage lifts are not impressive. Yes they are portable but for a little more $$ you can get a real service lift although it must be anchored to the floor. For a 4 post I'd look at the Rotary SMO12 / open front version with 12k capacity.

·
Registered
482 Posts
But can you move a two post lift to the rear corner of the building in the winter to store cars and then move it out to any garage stall in the summer, including outside?

That is what I really like about the 4 post.
I am confused, you want a lift to store an auto, but want it to be portable to be out of the way. Are you often going to have all the cars out? I would get the Rotary 10 offset lift. You will never have a vehicle it won't lift. Put it in a good location and never look back to the portables.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am confused, you want a lift to store an auto, but want it to be portable to be out of the way. Are you often going to have all the cars out? I would get the Rotary 10 offset lift. You will never have a vehicle it won't lift. Put it in a good location and never look back to the portables.
I want the lift to do my own oil changes and maintenance on the lift. I do that now on the floor. I would also like it to store cars in the winter. I am not looking for something that will be used daily or even weekly. If you look at the layout of my barn, there is no good place to put it and I would always be stuck with a 2 post taking up some part of my 2 larger bays.

With a mobile 4 post, I feel like I could move it wo a corner and store vehicles, but if I wanted to change oil in the summer, I could move it to a better place to work. I could be 100 percent wrong. But my barn is already too small, and I fear setting something in place and saying it needs to stay there as it could really limit me in the future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
My old man's shop isn't much bigger than that. That lift has made life so much better. He doesn't have an office either. Although his son has a 67 Camaro and 89 Trans Am GTA in the way. :) I've worked with 4 post lifts before and its no comparison. I've done tranny flushes on the same style truck on either lift and the 4 post is cumbersome. Don't get me wrong. Compared to the ground they are way better, but the 2 post is that much better again. Dad's is in the corner and sometimes space around is a pain. Also as mentioned doors have to be opened carefully. Some cheap Target swimming pool noodles solve the paint chip problem. Also I tend to part with more rearward to offset the engine weight. That makes the door problem less so. If you'd like some pics let me know. We're at the farm for Christmas.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I used to be a Rotary dealer for many years.

For the most part the bulk of modern 2 post lifts are asymmetrical and easy to get in and out of vehicle. Not like the first 2 post where the car was centered and you had to be careful opening doors.

However if I was going to use it for storage and have the upper vehicle on and on a lot I wouldn't want to be on my knees setting the arms all the time. Much easier to drive up on a ramp style lift.

But the downside to the 4 post is you have a lift that you cant really use to change tires or do brake work.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to be a Rotary dealer for many years.

For the most part the bulk of modern 2 post lifts are asymmetrical and easy to get in and out of vehicle. Not like the first 2 post where the car was centered and you had to be careful opening doors.

However if I was going to use it for storage and have the upper vehicle on and on a lot I wouldn't want to be on my knees setting the arms all the time. Much easier to drive up on a ramp style lift.

But the downside to the 4 post is you have a lift that you cant really use to change tires or do brake work.
With the jack kit (center bar and jacks) I can see doing brakes and small stuff. Suspension work and other stuff would suck. Rotating tires would not be in the game, but?

I know I am giving up a lot going to a 4 post, but in the same, I feel I am getting a lot also?

I am not a mechanic. Its a hobby. Plus I could lift the tractor with a 4 post.. LOL... (you would have to be a member for some time to get that one)

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
With the jack kit (center bar and jacks) I can see doing brakes and small stuff. Suspension work and other stuff would suck. Rotating tires would not be in the game, but?

I know I am giving up a lot going to a 4 post, but in the same, I feel I am getting a lot also?

I am not a mechanic. Its a hobby. Plus I could lift the tractor with a 4 post.. LOL... (you would have to be a member for some time to get that one)
Well I understand if you absolutely need to move it then the 4 post is probably the way to go. They are great storage devices but I really dont care to work on/around them as well. The center bar and jacks just add money. But if I had your money I would burn mine !

Truthfully if I build a building I am going with an in-ground. The new in-grounds fit in a box and you can service them without digging up floor !

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Truthfully if I build a building I am going with an in-ground. The new in-grounds fit in a box and you can service them without digging up floor !
Can you post a link of the lift you would get? :hi:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Can you post a link of the lift you would get? :hi:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Here is the PDF brochure

I might also set it 1 1/2" low and have a drain in the low part. My Dad's lift is set this way and he puts 2 x 6's across that sit on a 1 1/2" angle ledge. So when its down he has clear floor.

His is actually a single post semi-hydraulic and the 2 x 6's are screwed together so when he raises the lift he has a 3 foot by 4 foot center island work table but that would not work for a twin post very well (the table part).

I screwed my self on my 1100 foot attached garage by installing in-floor heat. I cant install anything that requires cutting or drilling the floor now.

Picture below is my Dad's garage. There is a lift under there with arms all the way in !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
That's a slick two post lift! Thanks for posting the brochure link. That reminds me of the old monopost lifts that garages had when I was kid minus the hassle of the monopost being in the way when doing work underneath a vehicle. I sure hope getting the guts out of the pit is easy should service be required.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Everything is easy to pull and service. Just lives out with a forklift (or tractor). Some even have a built in sump pump.

Yea I like the cylinder type lifts myself but its what I was around. I have installed about 400 of them and probably 100 twin post. Not to mention mention a few dozen above ground and all the ones we serviced. At one time when Goodyear was building a lot of stores we went around and installed 7 lifts per store all over the country. So racked up a few there !

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
You're looking at ~$7500 for an SL210W-RA 10000# two-post in ground plus installation. Nice lift but it blows your budget.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts