Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from an appointment yesterday and a United AG service truck was at the bottom of my driveway along with my 1023e, hood open side cowling off. I got out of my truck , asked the machanic what was going on, and he said he was at the house for my scheduled 200hr appointment. That was good, except I never scheduled an appointment. He changed or topped all of the fluids after replacing all of the filters, did a full grease job and when finished he told me I was good until 400 hrs. We talked about the tranny fluid and he said not until 400 hours. He also said my tranny fluid was not dirty and that any crap in the magnetic filter will stay there until then, or forever if not changed/cleaned.

I asked where this info came from and he said training classes at Deere 5 years ago, and then again last year. At any rate I'm not going to challange him or Deere on this. I figure that 400 hours isn't really a lot for the transmission when compared to my truck or any automatic tranny. My truck has over 100,000 miles and I just recently changed the tranny fluid. I have never had an issue with my tranny (knock on wood). 100,000 at an average of 50mph is 2000 hours.

So, after all was said and done I'm fine with the service, the tech and Deere.

And the best part? I called the dealer service group and they said "We made a mistake, no charge."

So I'm sure this 400 hour thing will start some crap, but I'm fine with it.

One last point. I asked the mechanic what his favorite 1 series tractor was and he said it was the 1023e. When I asked why he said he seldom see's a 1023e brought in for service, but see's plenty of 1025's in for leaking seals and minor issues. Really????

·
Registered
15 Posts
1023e is a nice rig - as far as 1025r being more problematic - I don't buy it. I bet they sell 1025r 10-1 compared to the 1023e.

I don't have any info on that. Just my anecdotal experience when I was looking for my 1025r on the used market.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
That’s great news Bob. I’m glad someone came and helped you out. That’s a good day no matter how you roll it. (y)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
1023e is a nice rig - as far as 1025r being more problematic - I don't buy it. I bet they sell 1025r 10-1 compared to the 1023e.

I don't have any info on that. Just my anecdotal experience when I was looking for my 1025r on the used market.
The lowly and underappreciated 1023e gets a little more love on the assembly line. ;)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Awesome, can't beat that price! :D

As for him saying he seldom see's a 1023E brought in for service but he sees a lot of 1025R's... well, yeah I'd expect he does see way more 1R's. They probably outsell the 1E at something like 20/1.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I'm sure this 400 hour thing will start some crap, but I'm fine with it.
This spring, a (non-Deere) dealer tech and truck had shown up at one of my employer's facilities. "I'm here to service the equipment!" Except we didn't have a scheduled PM program with them, and nothing was called in. Tech was turned away at the gate.

While I feel for the person just doing their job, we were less generous to the folks who sent him out. Esp. when six months ago it was pulling teeth to get a service call.

For your 1023e, do you have an extended warranty? That service might be in the fine print.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
When I bought my 1025r they recommended a 50 hour hydro change in the manual, then every 200 after that.
This service revealed that there was mild water intrusion and gasket sealer debris and a normal amount of magnetic fines.
My second hydro service this month showed no water but the fluid was somewhat darker than new and had a slight cooked odor to it, very little magnetic debris and no gasket sealer. I think it was fine and normal but I would feel more comfortable myself doing 200 hour hydro services.

Reactions: 99f250

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, can't beat that price! :D

As for him saying he seldom see's a 1023E brought in for service but he sees a lot of 1025R's... well, yeah I'd expect he does see way more 1R's. They probably outsell the 1E at something like 20/1.
Closer to 4 to 1 according to Deere. I was quite happy to buy the 1023e almost 3 years ago knowing I left some creature features on the table. However, the one thing I would have liked would be the hydraulic control of the 3 point hitch. It didn't occur to me at the time simply because a Ford 3000 was a new tractor to me and my day goes back to a time when tilt wheels were unheard of. The best part of my purchase was having money left over for that $1000 seat I put on it along with the 3rd port and grapple. Well, it's all paid for so I have nothing but seat time to give it now.

And what a seat!!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Office chair Chair

Plant Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Vehicle Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Head restraint

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,853 Posts
And the best part? I called the dealer service group and they said "We made a mistake, no charge."
Amazing how such Miraculous mistakes can happen..............;):unsure:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts