Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a gas 4010 JD not running, it still has the generator on it. It has a new battery on it and it's hooked up neg ground. How can I tell which way it needs to be hooked up. It has a very weak spark the way it is now.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I bought a gas 4010 JD not running, it still has the generator on it. It has a new battery on it and it's hooked up neg ground. How can I tell which way it needs to be hooked up. It has a very weak spark the way it is now.
If I understand correctly, this is actually a 24v system. Two 12V batteries in series (4 6V batteries from the factory). 24V is used for the starter, which is supposed to be floating (I've never seen such a beast, but that's no reason to believe it doesn't exist). The connection between the batteries (assuming 2 12V) is where the system is grounded, so depending on your point of reference it is a positive ground for one of the batteries and negative for the other. The 12V loads are shared between the batteries. The generator supposedly needs to be repolarized if the charging system is ever disconnected.

Here is some information I found.
Refers specifically to some of the later diesels but tractordata.com says the 4010 system is a 24V floating, 12V positive ground so I assume yours is similar.

Al

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,798 Posts
If you 4020 GASOLINE tractor is wired as factory(has not been changed over), it should be a 12 Volt system, with a POSITIVE ground(see cable 24).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, that is the way it's wired. I'll check everything over and make her come to life again. It's a really nice all original tractor, just hasn't been used in the last year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flyweight, is the white wire to the coil the one that goes to the starter area or is it the white wire to the key switch. I currently have no fire to the coil.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,798 Posts
flyweight, is the white wire to the coil the one that goes to the starter area or is it the white wire to the key switch. I currently have no fire to the coil.
It's been a while; and I don't have a Technical Manual, but to the best of my knowledge, the white from the coil goes to the "I" terminal at the Ignition Switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on 4010

Repaired the wire to the coil and hooked the battery up correctly, installed a new gas filter and changed the plugs...... Didn't turn over 1 full time till it started and run like a champ. Thanks everyone for their help :greentractorride:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thanks for update. I'm glad you got engine running. On side note be sure if operating pto that the 4 attaching bolts on rear pto stub shaft stay tight. If bolts get loose allowing pto stub shaft to get loose this can lead to tiny pin in pto to bend causing tractor to require a split to replace pins. The tiny pins I referred to are utilized to change pto speeds from 540 to 1000 rpm & vice-versa.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Thanks for update. I'm glad you got engine running. On side note be sure if operating pto that the 4 attaching bolts on rear pto stub shaft stay tight. If bolts get loose allowing pto stub shaft to get loose this can lead to tiny pin in pto to bend causing tractor to require a split to replace pins. The tiny pins I referred to are utilized to change pto speeds from 540 to 1000 rpm & vice-versa.
Excellent advice to anyone with 3010 and 4010 tractors.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
DRobinson
Thank you. My next advice on 3010/4010 pto speed change pin failure is if pin fails I advise if 1000 rpm feature is not needed to eliminate that feature by removing 1000 rpm drive gear in the event tractor requires a split. I supervised removing 1000 rpm pto drive on several tractors when I was a dealer service manager way back when.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
DRobinson
Thank you. My next advice on 3010/4010 pto speed change pin failure is if pin fails I advise if 1000 rpm feature is not needed to eliminate that feature by removing 1000 rpm drive gear in the event tractor requires a split. I supervised removing 1000 rpm pto drive on several tractors when I was a dealer service manager way back when.
More good advice, Jim. I have to wonder how many 3010 and 4010's still have both stub shafts with them. John Deere was way ahead of the field offering 1000 rpm PTO.

Reactions: dvskenny

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advise, it does have 1000 and 540 with 540 being the only one i'll be using. I haven't been around these tractors since the 70's when we had a 4020

1 - 15 of 15 Posts