Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4105 tractor. The PTO quit working. It would start then shut off. Replaced switch to no avail.
I also replaced the seat safety switch. Was working fine when I shut it down the other day.
Help I'm at a stand still.

·
Administrator
20,314 Posts
Edited title for better views.

You will have to test for power at the PTO solenoid.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
108 Posts
Could you provide more detail on what you observed to cause you to say " It would start then shut off."? What would shut off? The engine or PTO?

Does the PTO light in the lower left of your instrument panel come on and stay on as long as the PTO switch is in the operate position?

I know you replaced the seat switch, but if the engine is shutting down each time you turn on the PTO, then you might want to install a temporary jumper wire across the seat switch connector to verify whether or not the new seat switch is working correctly.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
108 Posts
Ok, if the engine is not dying, then we should be able to rule out a problem with the seat and parking brake safety interlocks. If you get off the seat with the PTO running and the parking brake released, the tractor shuts down the engine, not the PTO.

If you disconnect your mower and turn on the PTO, does the PTO shaft rotate and not stop?

If this is the case, then I would run the PTO valve pressure test to see whether or not sufficient hydraulic pressure is getting to the PTO clutch piston to allow it to sufficiently compress the PTO clutch plates and securely hold the PTO shaft against normal operating forces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys I screwed up. My Tractor is a JD 4105. The Pto shuts off after it turns on in a few seconds. The PTO light stays on but PTO disengages. PTO switch and seat safety switches have been replaced.JD dealer was no help.
Hopefully, someone can help me out. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts