Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the battery cables on our '66 4020. Does anybody know the correct gauge cables I need to buy? I measured out the length of them last weekend, but have no idea what the gauge they are, or what they should be for that matter. Tractor is 12V with both positives running independently to the bolt on the starter, which means the longer one is close to 4.5 feet long.

Also need to replace the batteries. What type are the and where's the best place to get them? It seems we only get about 3 years of use out of them, which sucks, but is what it is.

Thanks

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,430 Posts
NAPA, Round Rock, Tx.

JD part number: TY21733

NAPA part number: 7246
---------------------------

NAPA will make battery cables for you. Most likely, 1/0 or 2/0 size.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yep..Big wire....Welding leads.

TX jim ...likely has some input.......curious on His thoughts.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Due to JD removing the parts spec's from the public's view I can no longer access JD parts spec's. Factory 12 volt positive battery cable for '69-'72 4020 is part # AR51394 & is 50'' long but cable diameter isn't listed. If it was my tractor & not a collector model I'd built a battery holder frame & utilize group 31 battery utilized on a lot of over the road trucks. Mounting battery closer to starter would require shorter cables & better electrical conductivity. As others stated when it comes to battery cable diameter larger diameter conduct more amps.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The diameter spec for that positive cable is listed as 62mm squared. that is just shy of 2/0.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Question for those smarter than I
Since this was originally 24V and then converted to 12V, does one typically increase battery cable gauge with this as well?
Wouldn't a 12V starter draw higher amps than a 24V?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Question for those smarter than I
Since this was originally 24V and then converted to 12V, does one typically increase battery cable gauge with this as well?
Wouldn't a 12V starter draw higher amps than a 24V?
That is true, the 24 volt versions used 1/0 cables/

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
jd110
May I ask how you access JD parts spec's since the last modification to the JD parts site?
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Jim, No way that I know of !!! That last mod was really terrible. Bob

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
jd110
May I ask how you access JD parts spec's since the last modification to the JD parts site?
Thanks, Jim
TxJim, I get the specs from a dealer accessible only site called Parts Expert. It is a very useful tool for dealer personnel. You can search for parts by size or other specs. Not all part numbers have specs. Any obsolete or discontinued parts can't get specs for instance. Not sure why Deere doesn't make accessible to public. I have to agree I am not fond of the newest parts catalog available to public.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I suspected you got parts spec's from dealer personnel only site. I wish JD hadn't removed that info from the general public but at least now I will stop looking for the part spec's. Yes current JD parts system leaves a lot to be desired. I think JD removed spec's from general public because it can make parts more difficult to locate from other sources than JD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts