Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LTB a 4020 and the seller says and I qoute ," does not
steer all the way to the right, not sure if it’s out of adjustment or what been like that since we got it bout 10 years ago and never messed with it. Sometimes at idle it jump. It will go from like 900 rpm to 1100rpm real quick then back down. Only at idle, runs and drives great other than that run good" video-1659400004.mp4 ,video-1659400083.mp4 ,
video-1659400141.mp4
here is some vids. Tell me your opinions

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Engine rpm's fluctuating indicates governor drive ring in inj pump is failing. One will need inj pump disassembled to R&R drive ring. Not steering in a direction indicates faulty o-rings in steering motor under front of tractor, The seals(ityems 20 & 21)s can be renewed by removing front axle & 1 side frame. Then remove steering spindle(item 15) under front end, remove plugs(item 4) in the side of motor to access pistons so seals can be replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine rpm's fluctuating indicates governor drive ring in inj pump is failing. One will need inj pump disassembled to R&R drive ring. Not steering in a direction indicates faulty o-rings in steering motor under front of tractor, The seals(ityems 20 & 21)s can be renewed by removing front axle & 1 side frame. Then remove steering spindle(item 15) under front end, remove plugs(item 4) in the side of motor to access pistons so seals can be replaced.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,986 Posts
From the left front corner, it's a good looking tractor. What are the details on it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the left front corner, it's a good looking tractor. What are the details on it?
The New Holland man told me about this 4020. The man that had it was selling it for a widow. He was their tractor mechanic for 25 years and he is now the local diesel instructor for Texarkana College. His shop is at the Army Depot where he trains the defense workers on diesels. He has totally gone through the tractor to sell and I was in the right place at the right time to purchase a one owner 4020 from the mechanic who has serviced it for years!

·
Registered
15,986 Posts
Good deal. You now own one the most famous, and some would say, myself included, the best John Deere tractor ever built.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts