Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
There could be some slack in the steering box and the tie rod ends causing this. The back and forth could also be over driving the tractor. It takes a steady hand and very little steering on the HWY.

Without seeing it first hand it's hard to tell if you have a problem or it's the above. It's very easy to overdrive a 4020 on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There could be some slack in the steering box and the tie rod ends causing this. The back and forth could also be over driving the tractor. It takes a steady hand and very little steering on the HWY.

Without seeing it first hand it's hard to tell if you have a problem or it's the above. It's very easy to overdrive a 4020 on the road.

It occasinaly cycles to the left about 1/4 turn without moving the steering wheel and needs to be corrected. So I think that I am not oversteering.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
There's a bleeder screw on steering valve under steering wheel but it will surprise me if air in system is the problem. I suspect that an o-ring is leaking on piston in steering motor. O-ring can be R&R by securely supporting frt of tractor then dropping frt axle & removing one side frame to expose the plug that holds pistons in motor. One also needs to drop spindle out of motor to remove pistons. Spindle requires timing when re-installed. Parts required are listed below.
1 ea R34748 Seal - SEAL,OIL ADD 34.22 USD

2ea R26290 Back-Up Ring - RING,BACK-UP ADD 6.47 USD 12.94 USD

4ea R47083 Back-Up Ring - RING,BACK-UP ADD 4.86 USD 19.44 USD

2ea R26282 O-Ring - PACKING O RING ADD 3.69 USD 7.38 USD

4ea B3685R O-Ring - PACKING,O RING ADD 4.46 USD 17.84 USD

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
The steering motor orings are most likely problem as TxJim says, but also could be a problem in the steering valve. Bad orings or valves not seating properly can cause the same symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts