Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My older 4020 with hydraulic levers on the dash is having starter problems. It's still a 24 volt system. I push the starter button and I hear the starter motor turning but the bendix does not engage the flywheel... or it is every so slightly engaging that it doesn't even sound like it's grinding.

I've included some photos of the starter which is still installed on my tractor, and also a few photos of a starter that I think is off of my dad's 4020 before he switched it over to a 12v system. However his starter does not say 24v anywhere nor does it have a tag on it.

I'm assuming the little round relays on my starter are for the 24v system ? If not could someone explain the different wires please and where is the large cable from the batteries ? Maybe I just didn't get it in the photos. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm hoping I can install his starter and also install the relay panel that is on my starter and I'll be good to go.

I'm sorry for the inverted images... I reposted them but still inverted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts
1st off round objects you're referring to as relays are actually circuit breakers. The yellow wire attaches to "S" terminal on starter solenoid. The brown & blue wires are for each 12 volt circuit with breaker just installed in between as breakers were field installed not a factory option. Starter gear not engaging flywheel gear could be fork problem in starter or starter gear stripped internally. The starter that came off your Dad's tractor should have a large post on the side of case to attach a battery cable IE 24 V starter case doesn't ground by case touching engine block.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st off round objects you're referring to as relays are actually circuit breakers. The yellow wire attaches to "S" terminal on starter solenoid. The brown & blue wires are for each 12 volt circuit with breaker just installed in between as breakers were field installed not a factory option. Starter gear not engaging flywheel gear could be fork problem in starter or starter gear stripped internally. The starter that came off your Dad's tractor should have a large post on the side of case to attach a battery cable IE 24 V starter case doesn't ground by case touching engine block.

Thank you Tx Jim for your reply. Here's a photo of the back side of dad's starter, it does indeed have the large terminal like mine does.

I will disconnect all battery cables at the batteries, then try to remove the starter before disconnecting any more wires. If that isn't possible I will label them or take a video. Thank you also for your wiring diagram. I might need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. The black battery cable should be connected to the large terminal on the top of the solenoid. The red one should be connected to the terminal on the back of the starter in your last photo. The one attaching bolt on the starter is a challenge to get to if you don't have the special wrench to reach it. Some people have luck with a long extension and a 9/16" flex socket.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you have a good plan. The black battery cable should be connected to the large terminal on the top of the solenoid. The red one should be connected to the terminal on the back of the starter in your last photo. The one attaching bolt on the starter is a challenge to get to if you don't have the special wrench to reach it. Some people have luck with a long extension and a 9/16" flex socket.
Thank you jd110 for your reply. I'm looking forward to having a functional starter again !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update:

Got the old starter out and upon inspection the bendix gear turns both directions. Swapped starters moments ago and the different starter tries to crank the motor but won't start it. After putting my load tester on each battery they both rate BAD. They are JD batts dated 2011 so I guess 5 years is above average.

The batts are TY24341 and they are $269.27 for two, net exchanged at my local dealer. Shall I go with the JD or is there a better/equal option for less money ?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The batts are TY24341 and they are $269.27 for two, net exchanged at my local dealer. Shall I go with the JD or is there a better/equal option for less money ?
I would auto parts store the batteries no question. As long as you can find a suitable replacement that fits in the space and fits the cranking requirements than a battery is battery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We used to buy batteries at any old farm supply store. They always seem to last two, maybe three years. We use JD batteries now for going on fifteen years. We don't change them near as often, five to six years, sometimes longer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We used to buy batteries at any old farm supply store. They always seem to last two, maybe three years. We use JD batteries now for going on fifteen years. We don't change them near as often, five to six years, sometimes longer.
Thanks for your reply 308jerry. That's been my experience also. I called around yesterday and in our small community the NAPA batteries were $4 cheaper per pair and I never got a quote from the guy I called about interstates. I had to get the tractor going and the Deeres were in stock so I bought the Deeres. My last set lasted two months short of 5 years.

I installed the new batteries this morning and with the different starter it took right off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.