Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 403 cutter off of CR today for a very reasonable ( I thought ) $300. for clearing small brush mostly. I plan on using it on the back of my 2520 and have no experience with one of these or the pto/3pt setup. Any advice, suggestions, SAFTEY concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts
That's a great price if its in good shape!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good shape, some surface rust , a couple of dings and a dong but little use. It was used once or twice a year to cut a field at a hunting camp in Maine. I have to give it the once over.

·
Administrator
20,916 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal.:good2:

I can give you at least one tip. Make sure the front is lower than the rear when set at your desired cutting height.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't know what a 403 cutter is however if it has friction disc slip clutch you should make sure it isn't stuck by dis assembling or other method which would be in the manual. I guess if it has a shear pin this doesn't apply.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Its always great to get a good deal on something. :thumbup1gif: It helps out for those times that you don't. :empathy:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's only a good deal if everything works like it is supposed to. I will have to look into the clutch, I ordered a manual off ebay. I have been shopping for a year and pounced when I found it but the good deals are always made up for at some point it's just a matter of when.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Unless you're clearing new or unfamiliar areas, I see no advantage to the slip clutch over a shear bolt. I broke two shear bolts the first year I mowed this property, and I learned where those two truck- sized rocks stick up out of the ground so that I don't hit them again. :laugh:

Slip clutches do require more maintenance than shear bolt mowers. They can seize together and not slip when they're supposed to. They need to be adjusted out and allowed to run and slip every so often, usually at the beginning of the mowing season. Should be specified in the manual for the mower. Nothing wrong with them, just one more thing to tinker with.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Manomet,

I have the 413.

Be sure to check your PTO shaft length!

And in my case, the chain guard will hit the backs of the rear tires when the deck is lifted. I have to use my Pat's hitch or a quick hitch to keep it far back enough.

Let me know if you could use a hand with anything. I'd be happy to drop by or you know where to find me too.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What am I looking for< to long or to short. How much should they overlap? I have a quick hitch on there now I bought from agri supply.Thanks

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Manomet,

I'm just going from memory here, but mount the mower onto the tractor without the pto shaft attached.

Measure the distance between the tractor output shaft and the mower input shaft. Of course, account for the connections in the measurements.

Measure the pto shaft length. If the pto shaft can't close short enough, separate the two halves and shorten one half to allow them to collapse enough, plus about an inch extra. If the shaft is already too short to reach, you'll just need to buy a longer shaft.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well after buying a manual on EBay and going thru this mower I have hooked it up and used it. I would recommend one of these to anyone. Surprisingly quiet and very powerful, it does just what i wanted (mostly small brush) 403 rear.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts