Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new landowner and tractor owner as of a few months ago. I grew up on a small hobby farm, but we only had an old Farmall. Recently bought bought a 1974 JD 4030 and love it, but have only used the bucket, blade and brushing. I bought a used log splitter that attaches to the 3 point hitch and hate to say it but I can't seem to get the hydraulic hose attached. I've attached several hoses in the past but there always used to be some kid of external sleeve or jacket that needed to be pressed to attach or detach the hoses and mine doesn't have that. I'll share pictures, but can anyone help point me in the right direction of what i need to do or what adapter I need to make this hose attach to my 4030? Sorry for such a silly question, but the closest dealer is quite a ways away and they person I bought it from only used it to move round bakes so the westendorf loader/spike was already attached. He never used the rear hydraulic assembly at all. Thank you in advance for you help and I look forward to learning much more about my 4030 with the help of this forum!
Green Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

Eye Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire Gas

Hand Fluid Gesture Finger Thumb

Finger Ash Gas Automotive tire Nail

I know I have two different attachments to my hose (1/2 in) but hanging those is the easy part. How do I get either of them to attach to the back of my tractor? Or what other joint would I need? Thanks again for the help!
-Justin

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome to HayTalk
Hyd tip in you bottom photo is correct male tip for your tractor. Barrel(item 15 in link below) must be slide rearward so retaining balls will open wide enough to accept male tip. Then slide barrel with tip inserted back into cast housing then turn handle under breakaway 90° out on each side to turn hyd oil flow to "on position". If log splitter has a hyd control valve it needs to have a closed-center conversion plug installed so 4030 hyd system can operate properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4430, 4040, 2350, 2355, 2950, 425 and IH 1586, NH TD95D
440 Posts
Welcome to HayTalk
Hyd tip in you bottom photo is correct male tip for your tractor. Barrel in photo must be slide reawar so retaining balls will open wide enough to accept male tip. The slide barrel with tip inserted then turn handle under breakaway 90° out on each side to turn hyd oil flow to "on position"
You beat me to it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just wanted to add this as it stumped me on my 4440... on the backside of that remote (the other side from the photo), there is a pin that you push back toward you to side the remote back towards you. That inside sleeve will come out flush with the housing. YOu will know that that it is back far enough as the little balls will be free to recess flush with the opening. Sometimes I have to persuade the pin with a hard object to get it to slide. Then you push the plugin deep enough to slide the housing back where it is in your photo. Once it is seated, then you can turn those levers 90 degrees. If you turn them before it is seated, then hydraulic oil will shoot out at you.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Many yrs ago an aftermarket company manufactured/sold a handle that bolted on scv housing behind the barrels that one could push/pull on the handle so as to slide each barrel out to enable male tip to fit into balls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One follow up question guys, I really appreciate the help!
I finally received my barrels, but I am struggling with how to attach it to both the lime and the tractor. I'm sorry to be a pain, but I am clearly a rookie at this. Thank you again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
One follow up question guys, I really appreciate the help!
I finally received my barrels, but I am struggling with how to attach it to both the lime and the tractor. I'm sorry to be a pain, but I am clearly a rookie at this. Thank you again
You have to pull the bottom lever key 29. To that cap 26 has to be removed. It is one time use. Peirce it with a punch and pry it out. Clip 25 is removed, then the lever will come out the bottom. Install new o-rings 14, and backup rings 13. a new cap 26 is required. It goes "cup" down and must be expanded to retain. Hit with a large punch and hammer. I tend to lose little balls 12, use grease to hold in place at reassembly, might want to buy a couple spares :)
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
TxJim must be sleeping in, he probably has more tips. I have never had the internals of the barrel apart. It's been leaking o-rings, I had to replace.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Zebrafive
Come on give a this old Codger a break. I've been up since a little before 5AM! I've been reading/replying to other forums. It appears you answered GTFB's question better than I could have done! IMHO JD engineers made the hyd breakaways & control valves way more complicated than necessary!
:p

·
Registered
440 Posts
I’m going in a different direction. It would appear based on his response he is somehow trying to utilize barrel in his hand as an adapter based on his quote. “but I am struggling with how to attach it to both the lime and the tractor”

·
Registered
440 Posts
1st photo is scv ready to accept hydraulic hose. 2nd photo hydraulic hose with correct adapter for old JD. 3rd photo hydraulic hose inserted and 4th photo is lever turned ready to use. Last 3 are if your scv looks like this push the barrel on back to bring it forward.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
Zebrafive
Come on give a this old Codger a break. I've been up since a little before 5AM! I've been reading/replying to other forums. It appears you answered GTFB's question better than I could have done! IMHO JD engineers made the hyd breakaways & control valves way more complicated than necessary!
:p
99% of the time you beat me to the post :D (y) and I was up a lot later than you as usual :sleep:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1st photo is scv ready to accept hydraulic hose. 2nd photo hydraulic hose with correct adapter for old JD. 3rd photo hydraulic hose inserted and 4th photo is lever turned ready to use. Last 3 are if your scv looks like this push the barrel on back to bring it forward.
I think your last two photos gave me what I needed. What what I need to try next. Thank you again and sorry to ask such remedial questions this is just new to me! Appreciate you all!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.