Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a 1400 lb steer slip on the concrete and crack it's shoulder. By the time we could get anyone around to butcher it on short notice, it began developing a fever - crap. It was obviously unable to stand, so it was put down where it was, which happened to be laying between the exit and the water barrels, so in order to get it out we needed to lift it's front over the barrels. The skid loader was in use elsewhere, so I was summoned with my tractor. Man that 4044M gets BIG in a barn, lol. Just much more tight than I anticipated, as I haven't had the 4044M in the barn yet. Nonetheless we chained the legs and lifted the animal up. When lifting it the tractor definitely felt light in the rear. No problems, just not as grounded as I would like on the awkward angle I was on with the straw bedding. Keep in mind though, all the loaders I have ever driven are a 4020, 4055, and a skidloader, so this may be more normal than I think. Now that the work is done, I am considering rear wheel weights for the future. Thoughts on them? I don't want to increase the width of the tractor, and once on, I don't really want to remove them. Anyone have them that can chime in?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have two on each side on my 4052R, and use a 1500# ballast box. The manual for my loader (440R MSL) says ballasting for fll lift capacity on my tractor requires both weights, fluid filled tires, and ~800# pounds of ballast on the 3pt. I didn't want to fill my tires so I made my 3pt ballast box heavier.

Weights would be an improvement over nothing, for sure. But just the weights alone will still leave you very light in the rear for loader work.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
My rear tires are filled to give me my ballast for my loader on my 4044M and no problem maxing my loader and the rear end still solid to the ground. I have carried lots of dead cows with mine just don't like them hitting the front end when they swing around driving down the road. I love filled tires and never had a problem with them except on 1940-50s tractors I had over the years. I need the weight for dealing with snow and ice. I also have a rear 790 lb 8 ft wide blade on the back for ballast. I also noticed how big the tractor gets inside my 13 ft high 48 x 60 barn!
DSCF3715.jpg DSCF3713.JPG 100_0122.JPG

·
Administrator
18,793 Posts
We had a 1400 lb steer slip on the concrete and crack it's shoulder. By the time we could get anyone around to butcher it on short notice, it began developing a fever - crap. It was obviously unable to stand, so it was put down where it was, which happened to be laying between the exit and the water barrels, so in order to get it out we needed to lift it's front over the barrels. The skid loader was in use elsewhere, so I was summoned with my tractor. Man that 4044M gets BIG in a barn, lol. Just much more tight than I anticipated, as I haven't had the 4044M in the barn yet. Nonetheless we chained the legs and lifted the animal up. When lifting it the tractor definitely felt light in the rear. No problems, just not as grounded as I would like on the awkward angle I was on with the straw bedding. Keep in mind though, all the loaders I have ever driven are a 4020, 4055, and a skidloader, so this may be more normal than I think. Now that the work is done, I am considering rear wheel weights for the future. Thoughts on them? I don't want to increase the width of the tractor, and once on, I don't really want to remove them. Anyone have them that can chime in?
What did you have on for rear ballast?

Sorry to hear about your steer.

Reactions: rtgt and JD4044M

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had nothing on my rear end for ballast. If I am out working in the open I will use my carry-all as a ballast if I need it, however, when in the barn with the tight fit I don't like anything on my rear end I would have to worry about hitting something. Yeah, losing an animal is hard. It was actually my Dad's steer. He was a dairy farmer for 30 years, who is now finishing up raising dairy steers, and now converting to raising beef heifers/steers. He's trying to find his "retirement gig". I don't technically own any cattle (yet), but I still help out a lot, especially when it comes to equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the rear weights and still like to attach the tiller just in case. This picture is holding about 1200 lbs of mulch. I unloaded 1500 lbs of landscaping block last year with no rear weight on the 3 pt and when I went to pull forward I only had 1 rear tire touching the ground. I figure the safe amount I can do with this setup and no 3pt weight is around 1000lbs. I think I have 150 on each tire but Im not sure. I bought the tractor used and it already had them on. Btw the tractor is a 4044r if the pic doesnt show it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
My 4044M with full rear tires and 790 lb rear blade I can lift and move just under 2000 lbs with mine. At 1 ton it stalls my loader but won't lift the rear tires off the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts