Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I have zero experience with snow removal other than using the FEL to shovel off our 100 yard driveway. That was the one time we got enough snow to go out and play with the tractor. I have to say that blowing snow going in reverse looks extremely uncomfortable while twisted around looking backwards, especially if you had a lot to remove. A cab would seem even more confined. :unknown: It does look like the blower works well though.

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
I have zero experience with snow removal other than using the FEL to shovel off our 100 yard driveway. That was the one time we got enough snow to go out and play with the tractor. I have to say that blowing snow going in reverse looks extremely uncomfortable while twisted around looking backwards, especially if you had a lot to remove. A cab would seem even more confined. :unknown: It does look like the blower works well though.
It's not as bad as you might think, especially on larger tractors with a roomier seating area. Probably one of the most common snow removal attachments is a rear blade and I'll bet the majority of its use is when pushing snow while going in reverse.

I have a front blower and rear blade on my tractor. The majority of our snow falls requires the rear blade which of course means driving in reverse. I pushed snow in reverse with my old Ford 9N for over 20 years.

Granted, some folks have neck or back conditions that severely limit their ability to turn their head or twist around.

Reactions: JD4044M and JDLTG

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not as bad as you might think, especially on larger tractors with a roomier seating area. Probably one of the most common snow removal attachments is a rear blade and I'll bet the majority of its use is when pushing snow while going in reverse.

I have a front blower and rear blade on my tractor. The majority of our snow falls requires the rear blade which of course means driving in reverse. I pushed snow in reverse with my old Ford 9N for over 20 years.

Granted, some folks have neck or back conditions that severely limit their ability to turn their head or twist around.
Thanks you just answered most of it for me. I do have lots of room to sit on a angle and with Hydro Transmission just a pedal to go each direction. When you let off you stop, push further to go faster. Too easy and I still had to watch my rear blade but now the blower is just under 7 ft and the blade was 8 ft wide. Both stick out the same and power steering is nice. I will start off winter with my rear blade to make base to blow off and no gravel showing first. Before I have had to go downhill into 3-4 ft deep snow drifts digging thru and another guy just blew me off with his blower and old beat up tractor! That won't happen this year as there was no place to turn and put snow you would go over the bank if you did. You had to blow it off the road at that point they left it to long to push off using a rear blade or bucket loader. My 8 ft blade will cut snow about 8 plus inches further then my right rear tire when angled, flush on the other side. 100_2788.JPG Add the Pusher and it can do the job. 100_2784.JPG 100_2785.JPG This is the start of winter building my base and figuring how to do it again. Blowing it will be very different and much less removed as it won't be needed for more snow later blowing far out off the drive.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I do have lots of room to sit on a angle and with Hydro Transmission just a pedal to go each direction. When you let off you stop, push further to go faster.
Thanks, at our elevation of 450 feet, snow isn’t something we see very often. I hadn’t considered that snow blowers were designed to operate in reverse. For me, just turning around watching a disc I’m pulling can be a strain on the neck so it made me wonder how operating in reverse would work out. My 4044R has the swivel seat but honestly it’s just as easy to leave it centered and just twist around. There’s not that much difference if it’s swiveled or not. My previous tractors were manual transmissions and I love operating the hydro. it’s just like operating our lawn mowers except you don’t have to push a button on the dash to backup.

Reactions: JD4044M
1 - 5 of 5 Posts