Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 4052M and the PTO will not engage when the switch is pulled though the dash light does illuminate. I was told that this is a common issue with this model and that it was likely a dirty PTO sensor, the seals tend to let mud and water in. However the dealer was not able to find a PTO sensor on schematics. So now I'm at a loss what to look for next.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those following along....took the solenoid off the tractor and into Pape and they cleaned it best they could, though they said mine doesn't come apart. Recommended a complete change of the hydraulic fluid and the Proportional valve assembly filet and the suction filter and all the hydraulic fluid, due to the completely black fluid (looked like motor oil). So that's the next step.Hoping to not find any metal shaving in it...

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
The fluid color would concern me a lot...I'd be curious to see the what the screen looks like.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
293 Posts
Agree with Kenny. I have been driving 4 series tractors for nearly 20 years and have never seen anything on the transmission dipstick but almost clear HyGard low viscosity fluid. There is something seriously wrong if you are seeing black transmission fluid.

How many hours are on this tractor?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5000 hours about, this is what came out of the solenoid valve removal. He said I might drop the plug out and it might be clean, if the jammed solenoid was causing the problem.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Screen? As in running it thru a screen when it's draining? Or there's an actual screen inside the tractor somewhere?
Yes there is a suction screen at the bottom of the sump. If you trace the suction line from the filter to the sump, you will see how to get it out. It for sure should be removed and cleaned. Also there is a screen on the pressure side of the power steering/pilot pump that should be cleaned.
Both procedures are detailed in the operator manual.
The dark color is probably pto clutch/brake material.
It will take multiple fluid changes and screen cleanings to get it flushed out.
Search for Sharpie’s thread. He went though this a year or 2 ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes there is a suction screen at the bottom of the sump. If you trace the suction line from the filter to the sump, you will see how to get it out. It for sure should be removed and cleaned. Also there is a screen on the pressure side of the power steering/pilot pump that should be cleaned.
Both procedures are detailed in the operator manual.
The dark color is probably pto clutch/brake material.
It will take multiple fluid changes and screen cleanings to get it flushed out.
Search for Sharpie’s thread. He went though this a year or 2 ago.
The shop said I could empty it and run diesel through it to clean it, anyone tried that? I'll find that other thread too, thank you.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The shop said I could empty it and run diesel through it to clean it, anyone tried that? I'll find that other thread too, thank you.
I think you could do that, but I wouldn’t...maybe get some cheaper fluid at TSC and cut it maybe 50/50 with diesel would be the most I would do, but it would take 2 or more changes to get that mixture flushed out.
You still need to remove and clean the screens

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you could do that, but I wouldn’t...maybe get some cheaper fluid at TSC and cut it maybe 50/50 with diesel would be the most I would do, but it would take 2 or more changes to get that mixture flushed out.
You still need to remove and clean the screens
Checked out Sharpie's thread, it has some helpful notes...but its a different tractor, luckily my filters and solenoid are easily accessed without removing the tire. I've searched the entire 2800 page technical manual for a "screen" and found only electronic screens. Could they be using a different term than screen? I've also looked at the schematics for the sump and the 2 filters I'm changing.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
293 Posts
I've searched the entire 2800 page technical manual for a "screen" and found only electronic screens. Could they be using a different term than screen? I've also looked at the schematics for the sump and the 2 filters I'm changing.
While my older 4610 has 2 hydraulic filters to replace and a screen to clean (shown below), the newer 4052R/4052M tractors do not appear to use this screen.

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
They are sometimes called a "strainer", but looking in JDParts it does appear the new R's and M's have them.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Checked out Sharpie's thread, it has some helpful notes...but its a different tractor, luckily my filters and solenoid are easily accessed without removing the tire. I've searched the entire 2800 page technical manual for a "screen" and found only electronic screens. Could they be using a different term than screen? I've also looked at the schematics for the sump and the 2 filters I'm changing.
My mistake. For some reason I read “4520” instead of 4052. Maybe I’m dislexic😂

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Just bought a 4052M and the PTO will not engage when the switch is pulled though the dash light does illuminate. I was told that this is a common issue with this model and that it was likely a dirty PTO sensor, the seals tend to let mud and water in. However the dealer was not able to find a PTO sensor on schematics. So now I'm at a loss what to look for next.
Did this turn out to be connector, not sensor?

·
Registered
588 Posts
My hydraulic fluid was never that dark. The PTO clutches on my tractor had to be changed. They came all to piece. I had to changed the fluid twice after the dealer changed the clutches. Their was clutch material stuck on the suction screen in the sump. I also changed the steering filter as the sintered filter was crushed. My last change was to regular viscosity HyGard fluid as the low vis would not stand up in the south Mississippi heat.

My tractor was the predecessor to the 4052 tractor. They are very similar.

Reactions: arlen
1 - 19 of 19 Posts