Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to purchase a grapple for a JD 4052m and looking for input. I’ve been reading plenty of posts (most seem to be on smaller tractors) but I can’t make up my mind.

The primary uses will be moving logs (up to 36”) onto a bandsaw mill and moving brush piles around the property. This isn’t full time commercial use by any means. Currently at the top of my list:
-EA Wicked 60 Root Rake Grapple
-EA Wicked Root Grapple
(However expensive and long wait time)

-Root grapple vs root rake grapple?
-Single vs double lid
-Experience with either of these EA grapples
-Suggestions on other brands/models?
-Any other input you’d like to share

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
I would look at CTA grapples. I have had mine for 4 years and last summer we worked the he** out if it. Very happy with it and i believe they have up to a 60".
fast shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I have a CID grapple, it is the root rake style with a single lid.

CID makes construction equipment so I am sure it is plenty heavy duty. Their website stinks so it isn't much help, they are made in NC so if your on this side of the world they may be an option.
Single lid works good for me, but I use it more for brush than hauling logs, but the few logs I have hauled it worked great. Mine does have two cylinders on one lid.

Search CID Grapple in this section, I have some pictures of mine in a thread here.

Everyone seems happy with EA, I was planning on getting a wicked 55, but my local salesguy talked me into a CID and now I am glad he did. Was quite a bit cheaper and I have no complaints. I would recommend whatever brand you decide on, look for grease fittings at all the pivot points, there are some out there with questionable hinge points. Also, the cylinders and hoses should be protected and behind steel.

Opinions on grapples are all over the place on this forum, but I think I speak for most that; having a grapple is better than not having grapple, no matter the brand, size, style or color...

·
Administrator
22,689 Posts
CID, HLA, WR Long, and CTA are all good choices to consider in addition to the EA.

Reactions: ridesdirt

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
I bought an Anbo from Anbo Manufacturing through my Deere dealer. I ordered it, they built it and I had it in 2 weeks. They are located in Colville WA, just north of Spokane. I didn’t bother looking into the other brands because of lead time. I wasn’t interested in waiting 6 months. It works great on my 4044R. Mine is a 36” opening, 72” wide. They make a 48” opening model.

Reactions: jdmich and DBCSteve

·
Registered
2020 4066R, 2021 Z530R, 2019 XUV 590M
87 Posts
99.9999999% of people who buy the wicked, dont need it, nor actually use it close to its ability.

EA is quality, I have their 72” extreme on my 4066R.... Im not knocking EA at all. Im saying you’ll hear from a lot of people you should spend the $$ and wait a long time for the wicked.

Internet marketing is cool when done right, everyone else does it for you because its the cool thing to do.

As someone who has a run a large commercial contracting company for a while, with skid steers with grapples.... the wicked just wont be utilized to its potential, trust me.

·
Premium Member
2015 5045e
247 Posts
I've got a rock bucket grapple, it's pretty great but boy is it heavy. It'll throw my 5 series around. But it's a 2-n-1 implement so I really like that.

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
308 Posts
99.9999999% of people who buy the wicked, dont need it, nor actually use it close to its ability.

EA is quality, I have their 72” extreme on my 4066R.... Im not knocking EA at all. Im saying you’ll hear from a lot of people you should spend the $$ and wait a long time for the wicked.

Internet marketing is cool when done right, everyone else does it for you because its the cool thing to do.

As someone who has a run a large commercial contracting company for a while, with skid steers with grapples.... the wicked just wont be utilized to its potential, trust me.
I'll take that as a challenge. :DD

I've been waiting 18 weeks for my Wicked, and last email I got from them it's going to be another 2 minimum. Every day when patrolling the property I see more and more things I need it for. I watched a video of the EA guy trying to destroy the grapple, and while he bent one of the braces, I was impressed enough to get one and wait. And wait. And wait.

I'm not gentle when I use the tractor, and I expect to bend some stuff of my own, even if it is new and improved. I wish he would do one of those torture tests on my place.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
308 Posts

I'll take that as a challenge. :DD

I've been waiting 18 weeks for my Wicked, and last email I got from them it's going to be another 2 minimum. Every day when patrolling the property I see more and more things I need it for. I watched a video of the EA guy trying to destroy the grapple, and while he bent one of the braces, I was impressed enough to get one and wait. And wait. And wait.

I'm not gentle when I use the tractor, and I expect to bend some stuff of my own, even if it is new and improved. I wish he would do one of those torture tests on my place.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far guys…I’m at work so just been browsing over the post while I can. One of the main selling points of the EA for me was really the weight/strength ratio. Not so much because I’m going to beat it up daily on a construction site. More bc it’s not a large skid steer so moving logs I don’t wanna eat a lot of my capacity with a 800lb grapple or have a 600lb grapple made of Chinese steel that’s going to break. Many of these suggested brands seem to have very limited info on the specs (weight specifically) on their websites but I’m def open to looking at these harder. Also very pro buying any company building USA made equipment.

Anybody have experience/preference when it comes to a root grapple vs rake? I like the closer center of gravity with the rake style and there are many videos of people carrying logs with them. Any issues with the hydraulics holding things since it’s more of a clamp than a shelf the load is sitting on?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far guys…I’m at work so just been browsing over the post while I can. One of the main selling points of the EA for me was really the weight/strength ratio. Not so much because I’m going to beat it up daily on a construction site. More bc it’s not a large skid steer so moving logs I don’t wanna eat a lot of my capacity with a 800lb grapple or have a 600lb grapple made of Chinese steel that’s going to break. Many of these suggested brands seem to have very limited info on the specs (weight specifically) on their websites but I’m def open to looking at these harder. Also very pro buying any company building USA made equipment.

Anybody have experience/preference when it comes to a root grapple vs rake? I like the closer center of gravity with the rake style and there are many videos of people carrying logs with them. Any issues with the hydraulics holding things since it’s more of a clamp than a shelf the load is sitting on?
I have a double lid rake type for my 5075E and like the two being able to grip different sized objects. I have the AV20F for my 1025R which is still a rake type IMO. It has a single lid in the center and I've had no problems with it other than the tine spacing is too large IMO. I think they designed it that way for weight savings but too much debris falls through. I think I'm going to add bars in between the factory tines on the bottom. Shouldn't add too much weight if I use 1/4" x 1 1/2" material. That spacing is another spec you need to consider for your applications.

·
Registered
299 Posts

I'm buying a rake type over the regular bucket style I have now both ea. They both work I just wanted to use it as a rake. The other works just harder to control while raking an area. Think more like a dozer rake. It's just more suited for brush work imo. Doubt you'll have any issues with clamp force. I too am waiting on an ea 60. The old style works just fine though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.