Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
4052r on order. Deere z545r, deere 26g, express 8ft snow pusher, ati 805, nova ditch mower, many mor
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my buddies just sent me a website telling me I should get one of these. I didnt know they had made any tuners for the newer 4 series yet, also see they have the 3046 listed also. All the older 43, 45 and 4720s are listed also. They just have the 4066 listed but i am sure they pry could do the same to the 4052.

I told him I pry wouldn't do something like this to mine until the warranty is over or if ever. My last truck I did it to and it made a huge difference and improved my fuel economy. I didn't delete any of the emissions just reprogrammed it.

I see this model you can do the same thing, guess it will give 10% better fuel economy. Not the cheapest thing in the world.

· Premium Member
4044R w/Cab Silverado 2500HD DuraMax LBZ crew cab, ‘20 MB - S class 580 and a 1971 Corvette 4 spd.
1,555 Posts
Yes, there are a few companies and private guys out there that have tuner programs for diesels and tractors. Gal Banks has been doing this on any diesel for 20 plus years that I know of. On the current generation 3R and 4R turbo and non-turbo, one company has what they call a “shoe”that plugs into the factory cpu port. Use a usb-c adapter so your iPhone or IPad can save factory settings and install 1 of 2 available safe re-writes for fuel curves, pressures and sensor overrides. I got the help of one of my customers, a DelVal Ag college (*guy). To get it free I was registered into a study group. Cutting to the chase - The tractor was dyno tested and the controlled tested average is a 4.65 hp on motor, 2 hp on PTO (rounded down 0.250 for net corrections). This was on the mildest reset. This doesn’t include the oil change and air filter.

This will not void any factory warranty on non-commercial use tractors from JD, Kioti, Case, Kubota, Mahindra, Yanmar or New Holland. No info on others at this time.

I almost went with a big tuner but they want $1200. I just wanted a little boost on the TPO because on many attachments the factory
tpo numbers are just a hair under a range for some equipment. At 200 hrs they will lend me a factory watch-guard whatever that is. It’s supposed to record a list of measures from fuel economy to whatever - l’m not sure.

Btw, It was explained to me at great lengths by several unrelated tuners that the non-turbo Yanmars configured for series installations have the greater upside power potentials. As an example a 4044 has a 10% power increase for a given set of adjustments (on average) than the same adjustments made to a 4052 with a 3.5% increase.
It actually made sense when you look at the 2 engines.

*Mahindra engines have the most safeguarded cpu parameters on the market today working at an average of nearly 20% detuned. That‘s how they get their large machines to pass well under the Federal guidelines for emissions without having DPF.

· Registered
232 Posts
Almost every single of our vehicles is chip tuned. Some just for fuel economy some equally for performance/fuel economy.
From the site posted here I would never use chip tuning to bump stock tractor hp by 23%. Our tuner was very wary about increasing the hp too much and was very glad we were understanding as well (We paid twice that amount). I would say bump of ~10% is reasonable without significantly worsening reliability. Especially in case of 66 engine that one is not available in any higher hp versions. IIRC when I checked 66 was even higher than Yanmar had that engine specked.
There is addition of intercooler for 66 over 52 and no other mechanical difference. 52 can be quite easily and comfortably be brought up close to 66 power. In this post of mine there is dyno graph with stock and final tune for 52 engine:
The whole practice is very common over here especially for larger tractors where it can provide significant savings on the tractor price.

· Premium Member
4044R w/Cab Silverado 2500HD DuraMax LBZ crew cab, ‘20 MB - S class 580 and a 1971 Corvette 4 spd.
1,555 Posts
I have the same dyno graph for my machine saved somewhere, been looking the last hour for it. I’m familiar with the power curve being lower than full throttle high rpms and believe me I absolutely hate listening to that engine roar to get to 540 speed for the cutters I have to run.
Case in point, one time I restarted my tractor after re setting the cutting deck on my Lane Shark in the field. I had lowered the throttle speed for some reason and after restarting I forgot to throw that lever up to the top again. I must have run that cutter another 30 to 45 minutes before I remembered I need to get it up to 540. If I do max out the throttle the PTO goes up to 590.

I just wasn’t going to spend another $10,000 - the cost difference between a 4044R and a 4066R and it’s exactly the same tractor. Some funny business going on when you look at ANY other tractor company, only JD puts together power bands and prices like they do.

· Registered
4052r on order. Deere z545r, deere 26g, express 8ft snow pusher, ati 805, nova ditch mower, many mor
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know that Gal Banks did tractors never really thought about it. I have owed a few of his tuners for our Duramax engines in our chevy and gmc trucks I had always seen the programmers for larger tractors I guess I never really looked for the smaller compact tractors. We do work for a farmer and he has six tractors 5 series and bigger and are all programmed. I would be interested in doing a tune on my new 4052 that would improve fuel economy and wouldn't void the warranty, guess it comes down to how much I am willing to spend. I know my current inline programmer on my new Duramax leaves not foot print if I remove it and doesn't void the warranty

I also agree that bumping the 4066 for a big or any hp gain is pry asking for problems. Same with any engine you can way over tune them and things start breaking. It may not happen right away but you are defiantly shorting the life. One of worker had a Duramax had about 150k in miles on it. He put in a power programmer, not sure of the make had really never seen a set up like it before. About 10k later he blew his tranny out. All of my programmers I never set them to the max setting, just looking for better throttle response and better fuel economy without causing problems.

II agree I hate running at high rpm to get to 540, I can honestly say I don't always run my attachments at 540. As @Fercik said in the other post he attached, I don't notice enough or if any difference running them a little slower. If the tractor is keeping up and its doing a great job I personally don't see the point. My tiller I have ran at full 540 rpm and slower and for how fast I move I don't see a difference at all. I wanted to do the epto on my new tractor but didn't want to spend the money. I was thinking about ordering the kit and doing it once the hydraulic oil needs changed.

· Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Banks does anything diesel. There is a guy in our Corvette Club that has their original 1989 Firebird Formula that won land speed records at Bonneville (and it still stands) for a Banks Diesel. I have their Sixgun tuner in my Duramax. I’ll confess, that was for my need for speed and bragging rights days of my past.
I had the exhaust parts and headers ceramic coated for reducing under hood temps, has the cold air scoop taking in fresh air down under the front air dam, larger inter cooler and the tuner. The Allison (for ‘06 only) could take up to 850 ft lbs so I had Hess transmissions give me some bits and pieces from a 2010 Hummer H1 trans, some larger lines and a Banks/Moroso converter to take it to 1800 ft lbs.
I won $250 at a Carlisle show 12 years ago blowing up 2 tires in their “Burnout” contest and it only cost me $700 for new ones. I get 18 mpg, absolutely no smoke and when I don’t have 1/2 ton over the rear axle my tires don’t last very long.

· Registered
25 Posts
Yes, there are a few companies and private guys out there that have tuner programs for diesels and tractors. Gal Banks has been doing this on any diesel for 20 plus years that I know of. On the current generation 3R and 4R turbo and non-turbo, one company has what they call a “shoe”that plugs into the factory cpu port. Use a usb-c adapter so your iPhone or IPad can save factory settings and install 1 of 2 available safe re-writes for fuel curves, pressures and sensor overrides. I got the help of one of my customers, a DelVal Ag college (*guy). To get it free I was registered into a study group. Cutting to the chase - The tractor was dyno tested and the controlled tested average is a 4.65 hp on motor, 2 hp on PTO (rounded down 0.250 for net corrections). This was on the mildest reset. This doesn’t include the oil change and air filter.

This will not void any factory warranty on non-commercial use tractors from JD, Kioti, Case, Kubota, Mahindra, Yanmar or New Holland. No info on others at this time.

I almost went with a big tuner but they want $1200. I just wanted a little boost on the TPO because on many attachments the factory
tpo numbers are just a hair under a range for some equipment. At 200 hrs they will lend me a factory watch-guard whatever that is. It’s supposed to record a list of measures from fuel economy to whatever - l’m not sure.

Btw, It was explained to me at great lengths by several unrelated tuners that the non-turbo Yanmars configured for series installations have the greater upside power potentials. As an example a 4044 has a 10% power increase for a given set of adjustments (on average) than the same adjustments made to a 4052 with a 3.5% increase.
It actually made sense when you look at the 2 engines.

*Mahindra engines have the most safeguarded cpu parameters on the market today working at an average of nearly 20% detuned. That‘s how they get their large machines to pass well under the Federal guidelines for emissions without having DPF.
What company does the “shoe”?

· Premium Member
1,555 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
I have the same dyno graph for my machine saved somewhere, been looking the last hour for it. I’m familiar with the power curve being lower than full throttle high rpms and believe me I absolutely hate listening to that engine roar to get to 540 speed for the cutters I have to run.
Case in point, one time I restarted my tractor after re setting the cutting deck on my Lane Shark in the field. I had lowered the throttle speed for some reason and after restarting I forgot to throw that lever up to the top again. I must have run that cutter another 30 to 45 minutes before I remembered I need to get it up to 540. If I do max out the throttle the PTO goes up to 590.

I just wasn’t going to spend another $10,000 - the cost difference between a 4044R and a 4066R and it’s exactly the same tractor. Some funny business going on when you look at ANY other tractor company, only JD puts together power bands and prices like they do.
If you need tractor for "forklift" jobs or simply just material handling then there is no noticeable difference between 4R models. However if you use your PTO extensively in challenging conditions turbo is a huge help and definitely recommended. Price jumps that JD commands for the turbo and turbo+intercooler are definitely ridiculous but it is what it is.

I didn't know that Gal Banks did tractors never really thought about it. I have owed a few of his tuners for our Duramax engines in our chevy and gmc trucks I had always seen the programmers for larger tractors I guess I never really looked for the smaller compact tractors. We do work for a farmer and he has six tractors 5 series and bigger and are all programmed. I would be interested in doing a tune on my new 4052 that would improve fuel economy and wouldn't void the warranty, guess it comes down to how much I am willing to spend. I know my current inline programmer on my new Duramax leaves not foot print if I remove it and doesn't void the warranty

I also agree that bumping the 4066 for a big or any hp gain is pry asking for problems. Same with any engine you can way over tune them and things start breaking. It may not happen right away but you are defiantly shorting the life. One of worker had a Duramax had about 150k in miles on it. He put in a power programmer, not sure of the make had really never seen a set up like it before. About 10k later he blew his tranny out. All of my programmers I never set them to the max setting, just looking for better throttle response and better fuel economy without causing problems.

II agree I hate running at high rpm to get to 540, I can honestly say I don't always run my attachments at 540. As @Fercik said in the other post he attached, I don't notice enough or if any difference running them a little slower. If the tractor is keeping up and its doing a great job I personally don't see the point. My tiller I have ran at full 540 rpm and slower and for how fast I move I don't see a difference at all. I wanted to do the epto on my new tractor but didn't want to spend the money. I was thinking about ordering the kit and doing it once the hydraulic oil needs changed.
We finally got ours ePTO installed at the end of last year (After waiting for 1.5years for it). Installation is fairly straightfoward. We had it installed by the dealer as they were working on some other things and fluids maintanance was due as well. I wanted to do it on my own but they were not really happy to let me while the machine is still under warranty. The tech was grumbling the whole time why JD made this an option and not a standard feature.
I do not have task to try ePTO on currently so I am patiently waiting for spring to test it out. If fuel economy wont be improved at least the noise reduction would make the upgrade worth it.

· Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Can someone please explain what the ePTO is all about?

1. As for the other part, I will be using my tractor mostly for stumpwork. Using Good Works stump bucket and pushing against the 4’ I usually leave standing when I cut down small (3“ to 6” diameter) trees.
2. Using my Roots Grapple for clean up.
3. Using a Lane Shark cutter to its fullest extent.
4. Scooping, placing and grading dirt and gravel.
I would say all the remaining tasks are about equal in time. Snow removal, raking, brush hogging and material handling. I likely just made a case for having the turbo.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Epto let's you run your tractor at 1800 rpms and get the 540 pto speed instead of running the engine at 2400 rpms normally. Those rpms may not be exact
It's a kit you get from deere and you have to open up the back of the pto to install it, so you need to drain the hydraulic oil. Once it's installed there is a lever you pull to activate it. The computer also has to be set to recognize the changes.

I think my dealer quoted me 1700. They said it was 5.6 hours to install

BLV10832

· Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Is that $1,700 labor and materials? I’d bet its twice that at my dealer!

Too bad switching over can’t be done from your seat! So what is the downside to just keeping the PTO in the rpm reduction mode?

I keep hearing about all these great features. All that time I spent online searching what to get tractor wise, asking questions and yet nobody gave any recommendations for hp, turbo Vs non and now this ePTO. Yes, sounds like an ePTO is a must for standard equipment.

· Registered
114 Posts
Is that $1,700 labor and materials? I’d bet its twice that at my dealer!

Too bad switching over can’t be done from your seat! So what is the downside to just keeping the PTO in the rpm reduction mode?

I keep hearing about all these great features. All that time I spent online searching what to get tractor wise, asking questions and yet nobody gave any recommendations for hp, turbo Vs non and now this ePTO. Yes, sounds like an ePTO is a must for standard equipment.
I’ve had the ePTO on my tractor since I got it from the dealership (September 2017). I definitely agree it’s a must have especially if you do a lot of brush hogging and mowing with PTO equipment. Definitely saves fuel and it’s much much quieter. I too was a little disappointed when I learned you had to reach through the rear window to turn it on, but you definitely don’t have to leave the operator seat to do that.
I pretty much keep mine in the ePTO position all the time unless I’m blowing very heavy, wet snow. Then I find it better to run the engine at higher RPMs for the extra power you feel with higher RPM.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes 1700 was materials and labor

Like us244963 said, you can use it for most things, but if you need lots of power you pry will need regular. Like brush hogging it works good don't have crank the engine and save on fuel which is a big plus.

I agree it should be a standard feature. Just like 3rd, 4th and 5th remotes, led lights and radio at minimum should be standard also

· Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Epto let's you run your tractor at 1800 rpms and get the 540 pto speed instead of running the engine at 2400 rpms normally. Those rpms may not be exact
It's a kit you get from deere and you have to open up the back of the pto to install it, so you need to drain the hydraulic oil. Once it's installed there is a lever you pull to activate it. The computer also has to be set to recognize the changes.

BLV10832
I found that dealer time quotes tend to be a little long, that of course is just my opinion. It doesn’t scare me to install many things on my tractor, but the computer part might pose a problem. It’s not the money but the satisfaction of doing for myself that drives me. If you told me the dealer needs my business, at the very least I could see a little appreciation - that could be a different story. To be honest, even though the dealer has been cordial to me after the problems of last summer, I still feel uneasy about giving them any more of my money. I found this kit for $821, free shipping and no sales tax, I just don’t have the computer part covered.

· Registered
232 Posts

BLV10832
Our JD technicians took about 1.5-2hours to install ePTO. It was the first time they saw it or its installation manual.
Price was also very different over here a bit less than half of that 1700 (and it was even bumbed from the original price we had when ordered)

I’ve had the ePTO on my tractor since I got it from the dealership (September 2017). I definitely agree it’s a must have especially if you do a lot of brush hogging and mowing with PTO equipment. Definitely saves fuel and it’s much much quieter. I too was a little disappointed when I learned you had to reach through the rear window to turn it on, but you definitely don’t have to leave the operator seat to do that.
I pretty much keep mine in the ePTO position all the time unless I’m blowing very heavy, wet snow. Then I find it better to run the engine at higher RPMs for the extra power you feel with higher RPM.
I am quite suprised it is usable for you while mowing. That is one of the applications where I would definitely expect to use regular PTO.
Using the ePTO you basically swap the final PTO gear reduction. I did not count the teeth but just from the size I would expect quite a loss of torque when using ePTO.

· Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
765 Posts
I am quite surprised it is usable for you while mowing. That is one of the applications where I would definitely expect to use regular PTO.
Agree. The operator manual says:

The Economy PTO Position should only be used with attachments that do not require full PTO power.

Who knows exactly what that means, but running a rotary cutter in heavy material under high load in ePTO mode would seem to risk damage.

· Official "Groovie" Dude
2022 John Deere 4066R Cab and loader
5,754 Posts
ePTO is basically a 720 and 540 gear set. There is a sliding collar that will engage one or the other gear set and the computer flash is used for safety purposes that limit engine RPMs to 1900 in ePTO. Without the flash the dash will not display ePTO, limit RPMs, and display the correct PTO RPM when in ePTO. Also if you didn't have the flash and had it in ePTO and rev'd to 2600 for normal 540 PTO you would in reality be spinning your attachment to 720 and possibly damage your attachment.

Running ePTO in heavy tasks more than likely won't hurt the tractor but if you are losing RPMs often than that should be enough to tell the operator to stop and switch to standard 540 PTO. For those that don't know the PTO has to be off to switch between the two.

Regarding engine tuning JD went in the middle of Yanmar's offerings for the 4066. The JD 65hp 2.1l is not Yanmar's top engine as that would be a 74hp 2.1l. JD probably would have used the PS rating, which nobody uses anymore, and called it a 4075. My thoughts would be an increase of 10hp keeps you in the engine family.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts